Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:43 am

I tend toward the later Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds stuff - is Grinderman any good? As to The Velvet Underground, I want at least one of theirs but am wary of purchasing since I learned that some of it is unlistenable - what do you recommend?
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Insomniac » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21 pm

I love all of Nick Cave's music, but Your Funeral, My Trial, Tender Prey and Murder Ballads have been getting repeated listens over the last couple weeks. I just bought this live Bad Seeds record and it sounds amazing. A good mix of the earlier stuff and new.

When it comes to Grinderman, I personally love it. It has a much more raw and rough sound than the Bad Seeds with a lot of noise and psychedelia. Dirty rock and roll with the punch of a good punk band like The Stooges. Their self-titled album is my favorite.

Velvet Underground is tricky though. I will freely admit that I'm not a fan of Nico's vocals- that said, The Velvet Underground & Nico album is probably my second favorite. "Heroin", "Venus In Furs" and "I'm Waiting For The Man" are serious jams. White Light/White Heat pretty much created the blue print for noise rock. The tracks are a lot longer with heavy doses of feedback and distortion. It's grimy and at times sounds as if recorded in a wet paper bag. The self-titled album is good but the first without Cale, who was integral to making those early records so special - in my opinion of course. "Pale Blue Eyes" is my favorite track on it.

The other two albums I barely listen to. Loaded has a couple of their most popular tracks "Sweet Jane" and "Rock N Roll" and Squeeze has a different vocalist instead of Lou Reed. They aren't bad, just that I don't quite dig them.

So I guess if you like raw and noisy rock and roll, White Light/White Heat while intense is a good starting place. The album with Nico is more polished and more psychedelic. The first three are pretty solid listens quite honestly. It sounds silly but they are all uploaded onto Youtube. If you have a free block of time, pop one on and give it a listen.

One of my favorite quotes is "not a lot of people bought their records (vu), but everyone who did went out and started bands."

I need to stop being so verbose haha.

One of the things I love most is collecting vinyl. Cliched but I think it sounds better and it's fun to spin records and mellow out. This is my humble set up.

The picture is massive but - http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/ec ... dqdwgh.jpg
Insomniac

Postby sam vimes » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 pm

Thanks to youtube a few tracks from sabatons new album popped up in my recommended vids (I did laugh at the irony of pirated tracks appearing in my recommendations despits all the content id stuff) gonna have to buy this album methinks night witches and resist and bite were suitably stonking great :D
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Electric six what a band they just want to have fun and mess around :lol:
Gay Bar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNFokmDKrE
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 am

"Come September," off of Anias Mitchell's "new" album Xoa (one of the few new songs on it, really, the rest being her redoing old songs of hers, or covering songs of hers that originally had other artists singing them, a la Hadestown) has really been rocking my world, this past few weeks. Unfortunate that the only versions I can find of it online to share are poor quality live filmed duet versions of it.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Current listen is the Interstellar soundtrack. I just love it. Probably the best i've listened to since Oblivion or Man of steel.
Major Rawne

Postby Insomniac » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 pm

I was stoked to contribute a years end list for my friend.

Http://halifaxcollect.blogspot.com

Check out the other lists too, a ton of solid picks if you dig more extreme music.
Insomniac

Postby Xisor » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 pm

After a few weeks of only soundtracks and some indie & electronic, I've been listening to lots of Tchaikovsky this morning. So far, so good.

It's been a long time since I sat down to listen to just some proper classical music. I like a lot of it, but I suspect I'm still a terrible amateur or outright philistine, mainly as the extent of my musical ability and insight is to give a bit of a jolly whistle.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Can't understand a word of French, but Racine carrée by Stromae certainly is an energetic album. Good music video on "Tous les mêmes," too...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 am

A Seasick Steve Best Of (Walking Man, I think it's called). Y'all.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Midgard » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm

So my band Midgard has a new song up on YouTube as a preview for the full-length album coming out at the end of July. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jT1Q0HCeoc
My Amazon writer page - check out my novel and short stories!
MIDGARD - my melodic death metal band's new album is now on BandCamp
Twisthammer - alternate WH40K fan-project
Midgard

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Following my post in Film Nest.

Olivia Newton-John and ELO.
Xanadu OST Expanded

The Electric Light Orchestra. I prefer them over Pink Floyd, they're cheerful. Sadly, I have neglected them for a long time because I couldn't remember the band's name.
ELO Megamix
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm recovering from a nasty cold, not all bad because I got to listen to a lot of music, this after I was feeling frustrated with my iPhone music.
First, I was thinking of trying Madonna's Rebel Heart. Wow, what a mediocre album, so blah. Even when I don't like her music I never felt she did anything bad, but not this time. Seriously boring stuff, it can be a bad thing trying to sound too contemporary. So, when Madonna fails it's time to move on to another pop icon like Kylie Minogue, I'm obviously showing my age here. It's hilarious because I just read an article about Madonna becoming the queen of darkness while Kylie remained bright and cheery. :lol: I'm really digging her Kiss Me Once album. It's full of upbeat music that makes me happy and it's clearly influenced by Italian synth disco.

Along with that I found my old love Daft Punk with Random Access Memory, now this is some serious ****. I'm totally in love with Touch feat. Paul Williams, it's amazing. Some of their best since Veridis Quo, the ELO influence is strong there.
Then on to Italian electro pop, for some reason I had these songs in my YT playlist for a number of years and I never bought the songs. Bah.
Kano is the ****. Another Life is a masterpiece, I love the deep lyrics, they're some dark '80s stuff. Ikeya Seki is amazing, Kavinsky sampled it in Grand Canyon, but I'm sorry the French group doesn't do it justice. The '80s synthpop have an ice cold, synthetic cocaine line that I believe only Daft Punk captures and only on a distance, it's gloomy, but fun, like a robot that wants to dance and at the same wants to kill you, and it's all right because all you want is to dance. Ikeya Seki is so amazing I went into a trance of cool, I might have been feverish, but that's not important. :) With titles like It's a War in the form of synth disco you can't go wrong.
Scotch is another one. Born To Kill and Man in the Man, Born To Kill is freaking awesome, it's like a death song, then Man in the Man it's a soft beach song, they couldn't be more different.
Koto is another futuristic synthpop group, Jabdah is one of the more upbeats songs.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Vivia wrote:Along with that I found my old love Daft Punk with Random Access Memory, now this is some serious ****. I'm totally in love with Touch feat. Paul Williams, it's amazing. Some of their best since Veridis Quo, the ELO influence is strong there.

Touch? I remember Touch.

I still vacillate on RAM. I mean, I love it to bits. But very often I'll fluctuate on which bits I like and which seem unimportant. Like Contact and... well, the whole second half of the album. And Giorgio.

My heart still belongs to 'Digital Love', I doubt that'll ever seriously change. (Though 'We Can Make The World Stop' does come close for maddening wonder, who knows if it will last the fourteen years that Discovery impressed on me?) I think RAM hit a perfect storm of a big upturn in my trajectories and the very very happy period in London.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back?

I need something... more.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 am

Xisor wrote:
Vivia wrote:Along with that I found my old love Daft Punk with Random Access Memory, now this is some serious ****. I'm totally in love with Touch feat. Paul Williams, it's amazing. Some of their best since Veridis Quo, the ELO influence is strong there.

Touch? I remember Touch.

I still vacillate on RAM. I mean, I love it to bits. But very often I'll fluctuate on which bits I like and which seem unimportant. Like Contact and... well, the whole second half of the album. And Giorgio.

My heart still belongs to 'Digital Love', I doubt that'll ever seriously change. (Though 'We Can Make The World Stop' does come close for maddening wonder, who knows if it will last the fourteen years that Discovery impressed on me?) I think RAM hit a perfect storm of a big upturn in my trajectories and the very very happy period in London.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back?

I need something... more.

Hah. Honestly I vacillate on "Touch" too--sometimes I appreciate the full opera of it's sweeping emotion, but then other times when I turn it on it feels florid and overwrought.

"Contact," on the other hand... I do quite enjoy. In it's deliberately abrasive, growing-pressure sort of way.

Been listening to the new Metric album, Pagans in Vegas, which is... decent. Also the new CHVRCHES album Open Every Eye, which I am enjoying quite a bit--quite a few earworms that are refusing to get out of my brain.
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:07 pm

I agree about Touch and RAM. Touch holds a bit of nostalgia for me because of Paul Williams. Williams starred in Brian de Palmas awesome, awesome Phantom of the Paradise. It's pure 1970s weirdness, like my kind of weirdness and he plays a Mephistopheles kind of character. When I heard his voice in the song it was instantly recognisable. The score of the film is very RAM, I haven't read any interviews with Daft Punk, but I'm fairly certain they watched PotP among many things, ELO most certainly, they had that specific space age synth opera sound that was big in the '70s. Anime then had a lot that sound so to me is very nostalgic, compared it today's very down to earth anime scores. I'm sure Daft Punk is in my age group.
But...RAM feels kind of empty compared to any ELO albums, it's beautifully produced, but it lacks that special something. ELO and Pink Floyd created a sound and Daft Punk is a copycat DJ. Same with the Italian disco synth producers they created a new sound from the much maligned disco music, Daft Punk is only their torch carrier. I do respect them for making old school funk and disco beats, they made disco respectable for me.
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:51 am

Nine Inch Nails and Leonard Cohen. Sadly not together :D .
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:30 am

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:Nine Inch Nails and Leonard Cohen. Sadly not together :D .

Nearest you'll get is probably Cash's cover of "Hurt".
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:53 am

Yup: that one's Up There, for certain.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:35 am

Saw Mumford and Sons at Manchester last night: blinding show (Lovers of the Light!), with all the passion I've come to expect from this band. I even enjoyed the new stuff ( ;) )
Chun the Unavoidable

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic