Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby Xisor » Wed May 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Pssh, who can cheer up better than Tom Waits? Worth a watch/listen.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

My brother got me the latest Vampire Weekend album for easter. I've been liking it, most anthemic album they've done yet, but really understated anthems.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Athelassan » Wed May 07, 2014 9:57 pm

I've moved onto Eels. Probably not an improvement.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 am

Xisor wrote:Pssh, who can cheer up better than Tom Waits? Worth a watch/listen.

Love me some Waits. Oh my, that account has another video, too. Hurrah!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu May 08, 2014 8:54 am

Athelassan wrote:I've moved onto Eels. Probably not an improvement.

Ath

I can only say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuLpLPY0b0o
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Went and saw the Glitch Mob live. From the barricade at the front. Ow, my ears.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Sun May 11, 2014 6:16 am

Mossy Toes wrote:Went and saw the Glitch Mob live. From the barricade at the front. Ow, my ears.

You beautiful, wonderful human!

Good then?

8-)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun May 11, 2014 7:23 am

Xisor wrote:
Mossy Toes wrote:Went and saw the Glitch Mob live. From the barricade at the front. Ow, my ears.

You beautiful, wonderful human!

Good then?

8-)

Very. The warm-up acts were a trifle long... but the band itself was quite lively. Today has been spent in recovery.
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Sigur Ros seems to be making it into playlists rather a lot lately. Not always intentional but it is rather nice.
Major Rawne

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu May 22, 2014 9:31 am

The new Pixies album is pretty good. Recognisably them, recognisably bonkers, but it does miss Kim Deal.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:59 am

As an addition to the above, we went to see them [The Pixies] at the Castlefield Bowl in Manchester last night: blistering performance, with things becoming violent in a friendly way in front of the stage (being more refined, we sat in a more refined area up the back ;) ). Good open-air venue, too: small enough to not require screens, big enough to be an event.

Also listening to Iggy Pop's The Idiot. Though it could do with a remastering, it still sounds very good indeed and -with allowances- not particularly dated. Bowie's production is easily recognisable, and I'm pretty sure Mick Ronson's guitar is in there, too. However, it remains very Iggy... with a little Lou Reed.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby J D Dunsany » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am

Took son number 2 to see Dutch prog-metal band Ex Libris in Wolverhampton last night. Great gig. Thoroughly enjoyable. Need to get back into going to gigs, really.

As far as new music goes, I'm very impressed by 'Parallax II' by Between The Buried and Me. Similarly Epica's new one, while remaining fairly typical of the band's other releases, is crunchier and punchier and generally pretty damned exciting.

There's tons of newish stuff that I'd like to get a hold of, but finances are tight and there's a new Opeth album out soon.

:D

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Bane Of Kings » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Lots of things, but the most recent song that I listened to was The Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun. Something that I entirely blame Halt and Catch Fire S1x09 for - because that scene with Cameron was so great.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 pm

This song whose theme can be applied to Asartes I feel

The Cruxshadows - Coming Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCrn11u0EU#t=109
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:55 am

Jack White's Blunderbuss and Lazaretto bear a lot of re-listening to - which I've been doing :) .
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:47 pm

The soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy - I'm hooked on a feeling, baby!
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby sam vimes » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:41 am

This is the song of my childhood lol was 8 when the film came out

The Immortals - "Mortal Kombat" Music Video 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ7jJx9PJk
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 am

A whole album (simply) revised! Everybody to the limit!

xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 am

Lou Reed's New York: he talks through most of it, but he talks pretty hard over similar geetar.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Insomniac » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 pm

I finally was able to find a reasonable priced copy of The Velvet Underground vinyl box-set and just went on a long Lou Reed listening binge.

Right now, it's a lot of earlier Nick Cave albums and his side project Grinderman. When I want to relax or try to get writing done, I've been really getting into Sunn O))) and Swans. Their last album To Be Kind is so well done.
Insomniac

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic