Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Music

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:15 pm

What you like, what you've recently acquired, gigs you've been to and what you would recommend, that sort of thing.

As for what you do not like, I don't care so please start your own thread if you wish to moan.

Had quite a find this week and bought a rather fantastic rock compilation and best of albums by Motorhead, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dio for the princely sum of three pounds each. Also bought Rob Zombie's "American made music to strip by" for six pounds. All of the above are fantastic, and came to only eighteen quid altogether.
Raziel4707

Re: Music

Postby Xisor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks to reading Age of Darkness, I've reconnected with my old "Mechanicum" playlist complied at the end of 2008. So, with that in mind, I'm very much getting back into my "The Chemical Brothers" rut. It's a very nice rut to be in.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Big Barney Ross » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:33 pm

My recent purchases include:

Dio - Holy Diver
Dio - Sacred Heart
Dio - Dream Evil
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves
Dio - Strange Highways
Dio - Angry Machines
Dio - Magica
Dio - Killing the Dragon

Now, I'm only missing "The Last in Line" and "Master of the Moon" from his solo discography; then, it's on to Rainbow and the Sabbath albums.

And currently listening to:

WHILE HEAVEN WEPT - epic doom metal of the highest calibre, and my newest discovery. Check out their 16 minute epic, The Furthest Shore from the album 'Vast Oceans Lachrymose'.

WARREL DANE - Praises to the War Machine; 'Nevermore' was never quite to my liking, Warrel's vocals were. Personally, I prefer his kick-ass solo work over his band career (though I haven't heard 'Sanctuary' yet). My favorites: Let You Down; August; Brother.

LONG DISTANCE CALLING - self titled; the last album from this German post-rock band. They've gone more straightforward in their latest effort, which is definitely lacking imagination compared to the first two albums. Still, I find myself spinning it constantly. The song 'Middleville' features vocals from John Bush of 'Armored Saint'. My favorites: Arecibo; Beyond th Void.

HAZARDS OF SWIMMING NAKED - Our Lines are Down; recommended by someone on this forum (don't rememebr who). Loving the album.

SEVENTH WONDER - The Great Escape; Mercy Falls; a great progressive metal band, a recommendation by a friend. Though I admit some of their lyrics are kind of gay, like in the song 'Alleycat', the music is awesome. The album 'Great Escape' features a 35 minutes long epic of the same name.

And 'Mercy Falls' is a great concept album: about a father of a family, for years trapped in a town called Mercy Falls which he has imagined in his mind after falling into a coma because of a car crash. All the while, he is racing against time, since his family is to 'pull the plug' if the doesn't wake up soon. And then, there's a dark secret in the middle of it...

My favorites: The Angelmaker; Welcome to Mercy Falls; Break the Silence.

CIRCUS MAXIMUS - Isolate; The 1st Chapter; another progressive metal band, and another recommendation by a friend. However, I can't seem to get into them no matter how hard I try, and find them somewhat boring. My favorite: A Darkened Mind.

INGERMANLAND - Beyond Equator; progressive metal; a prototype that was later to become one of my favorite bands ever - Communic. They've put out two demo albums, but never got signed, which is unbelievable because they were just as good then as they are now as Communic. My favorites: At Dewy Prime (later re-done with Communic); Networked Vibrations;

HOURGLASS - Subconscious; and yet another progressive metal band. The band suffers from an average vocalist. He sounds nice, but stands out in nothing. However, I have found myself coming back to this album. It has only 5 songs, but... the 1st is 18 mins long, the 2nd 5 mins, the 3rd 20 mins, the 4th 5mins, and the last is 33 mins. And I love me a good, long prog metal song.

That half an hour song, called 'Exit Wounds' is interesting because because of the topic it deals with: a soldier died in war (Farewell, The Soldier), and the song explores the impact his death has on those he left behind - his Christian father (The Believer), the older atheist son (The Unbeliever), an undecided and grieving (Widowed), a young heart-broken daughter (Daddy's Little Girl), and the younger son who aspires to be the man his father was (The Soldier Alive).

Here's only a part of it: The Soldier; Widowed;

PERIPHERY - self-titled; a progressive metal / mathcore band. Anything -core I usually shy away from. I would've also done the same with this band, because of the damn vocals, but I found there was an instrumental version of the album - and this is pretty great. My favorites: Insomnia; The Walk;

SCORE MUSIC:
MICHAEL WANDMACHER - Drive Angry; good rock music for a good film.
JORIS DE MAN - Killzone 3; I like what de Man has done with KZ3. He's stepped off the pounding, military approach to the music and given us much more cinematic pieces of music. Main Theme.

Other artists I'm listening to these days: CHRIS REA, RICHARD THOMPSON.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby flick » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:50 pm

NIN
Portishead
Aphex twin
Manic street preachers
Velvet underground
Black sabbath
PJ Harvey
Eels
Elliott Smith
Cat Power
Blur
Joy Division
Clash
Smiths
Ministry
flick

Postby Remoah » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:11 pm

So not to start a new thread i'll resurect this 2 week old one :)
Starting uni means i have 2 hours of travel a day to fill with the Herald Sun, mX Newspaper and of course, my iPod.
This is the current playlist.

Rise Against- Collapse
Rise Against- Paper Wings
Rise Against- Audience of One
Rise Against- Rumors of my Demise have been Greatly Exaggerated
Rise Against- Injection
Rise Against- Help is on the Way
Rise Against- Historia Calamitatum
VersaEmerge- Fixed at Zero
VersaEmerge- Past Praying For
You Me at Six- Save it for the Bedroom
30 Seconds to Mars- Kings and Queens
30 Seconds to Mars- This is War
30 Seconds to Mars- Vox Populi
50 Lions- To the Test
The Amity Affliction- No Sleep 'til Brisbane
The Amity Affliction- Olde English 800
The Amity Affliction- Youngbloods
Anberlin- Godspeed
Bliss n Eso- Happy in my Hoodie
Bliss n Eso- Royal Flush
Bliss n Eso- Party at My Place
The Bloodhound Gang- The Bad Touch
The Bloodhound Gang- Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss
The Bloodhound Gang- Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
The Bloodhound Gang- Fire Water Burn
A Day to Remember- The Downfall of us All
A Day to Remember- If it Means a lot t You
A Day to Remember- All I Want
Deez Nuts- I Hustle Everyday
Electric Six- Synthesizer
Enter Shikari- Sorry you're not a Winner (new version)
Lil John & Eastside Boys- Get Low
Linkin Park- Hands Held High
The Rasmus- In the Shadows

~~~~~
Remoah

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Remoah wrote:30 Seconds to Mars- Kings and Queens
30 Seconds to Mars- This is War
30 Seconds to Mars- Vox Populi

Isn't the whole album of This Is War just incredible? I mean, 30STM were a decent band before it came out. But now...Luv!

(well, the whole album except "100 Suns." I really don't see why they have to include the second half of the song just before it all over again)
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Stuart000X » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Stuart000X

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Super nerdy but I just got the OST for all the 4 WoW games. And I already had the Mosaic CD I bought at Blizzcon a couple years back :lol: So I've been going nuts with that.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:27 am

Stu, that was epic!
Raziel4707

Postby Stuart000X » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:15 am

Raziel4707 wrote:Stu, that was epic!

You can run and tell that, homeboy.
Stuart000X

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:04 am

No-one to tell, someone's come and snatched all my people up.
Raziel4707

Postby Remoah » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
Remoah wrote:30 Seconds to Mars...i

Isn't the whole album of This Is War just incredible? I mean, 30STM were a decent band before it came out. But now...Luv!

(well, the whole album except "100 Suns." I really don't see why they have to include the second half of the song just before it all over again)

Mate it's brilliant.
i cant believe the first time i heard Closer to the Edge was when i saw them live. I didnt like them before that and i got dragged to the concert by my sister and then-girlfriend, stood at the back but when that song came on i just had to make my way to the front, it was friggin amazing!

yeah i dont like how they did 100 Suns, its a great song so i youtube ripped a chopped version that gives me the whole thing including the long-ass intro from Search and Destroy (i think thats the one isnt it?)
Remoah

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I think it's Escape with the long intro, but I might be wrong. Either that or Hurricane. Probably Hurricane, since that's the next song on the disc.

I really like the whole "vox populi" vibe to the album (exemplified in the song of the same name, though it's in a number of others too). I almost got to see them live a few months back (along with MuteMath and Neon Trees--good Emperor, how I wanted to go to that concert!) but...no dice.

Mmm, MuteMath. Now that's another really good band.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Remoah » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:23 pm

its the song before 100 suns that has the beginning of 100 suns...
it's not Search&Destroy, i listened to it today just to check.
oh well.

mate you missed out, if you ever get the chance to see them then do it. they're just utterly amazing, you'll get a whole new appreciation for them when you see them live.

~~~~~

Anyhow. To bring up another band. I found out about these guys as they were doing a melbourne tour (this being their home city). My mates band was one of the support acts, and now they're just getting huge. They opened for AC/DC's australia tour and also for Wolfmother's tour.
The band is Calling all Cars, they're straight up, 3-piece rock, nothing fancy, however they do it incredibly well and somehow it's the fact that they're not trying anything new that increases their appeal.
here's a couple of their songs:

Hold, Hold, Fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMZJvqowmI

Disconnect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFir48H ... re=related

Run Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjSpsuF ... re=related

Enjoy!
Remoah

Postby Big Barney Ross » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Sad news...

Former Manowar drummer Scott Columbus died yesterday (April 4) aged 54. In a series of facebook posts from girlfriend Nancy and former brother in metal Ross “The Boss” Friedman, news broke that Columbus had passed away but as yet cause of death is unknown.

Official statement from Manowar:
It is with great sorrow that we announce the passing of our brother Scott Columbus.
Scott Columbus was a rare talent and equally a rare individual.
He was a father, a friend and a brother of metal.
All of the great moments we spent together in the studio, in our homes and on the road are burnished in our hearts and memories forever.
These words are spoken with heavy hearts but we have the comfort of knowing that he is in a good place and at peace.
He will never be forgotten.

Your family and brothers,
Joey, Eric, Karl, Donnie

And all at Magic Circle Music

RIP Scott Columbus. Another great loss for metal.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Big Barney Ross wrote:Sad news...

Sad news indeed. :(
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Born to live forever more.

RIP
Raziel4707

Postby Big Barney Ross » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:14 am

Returning We Hear the Larks - solo porgressive ambient djent metal project from Jak Noble, a student from Bristol. The album YPRES - it's a masterpiece. And you know what's best? You can download it for free in any format you desire (including losless FLAC).

Listen, and be amazed! (if you don't - your loss)
http://returningwehearthelarks.bandcamp.com/track/ii-the-first-to-fall

Also, Tre Watson:
http://trewatson.bandcamp.com/album/death-of-a-monarch

And finally, Halcyon:
http://halcyonofficial.bandcamp.com/

Bandcamp is a treasure trove of awesome music, and a vast portion of it is FREE to download, and all of it is free to stream.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:44 pm

"Former Manowar drummer Scott Columbus died yesterday (April 4) aged 54. In a series of facebook posts from girlfriend Nancy and former brother in metal Ross “The Boss” Friedman, news broke that Columbus had passed away but as yet cause of death is unknown."

Bugger and I've just recently got into this band likeing the viking themes a lot shame he's gone as like him a lot in Sleipnir on topic I quite like metal from germany bands such as the exellent exellent gamma ray fit this bill a little closer to the uk from Gothenburg, Sweden are Dream evil seriosly these guys know how to perform as well as enjoy and laugh at themselves just have a listen to The Ballad and try not to laugh to much at the lyrics lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9qJs2gRxY

From the same region are nightwish shame they got rid of tarja but oh well and finally I also quite like 80's stuff queen, madonna, micheal jackson, meatloaf and quite a few other bands wait! remembered one Don henely grew up with a lot of 80's music mum had a big old vinyl record player and three carrier bags full of vinyl records so i was happy.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Big Barney Ross » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:04 am

sam vimes wrote:Bugger and I've just recently got into this band likeing the viking themes a lot shame he's gone as like him a lot in Sleipnir on topic I quite like metal from germany bands such as the exellent exellent gamma ray fit this bill a little closer to the uk from Gothenburg, Sweden are Dream evil seriosly these guys know how to perform as well as enjoy and laugh at themselves just have a listen to The Ballad and try not to laugh to much at the lyrics lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9qJs2gRxY

From the same region are nightwish shame they got rid of tarja but oh well and finally I also quite like 80's stuff queen, madonna, micheal jackson, meatloaf and quite a few other bands wait! remembered one Don henely grew up with a lot of 80's music mum had a big old vinyl record player and three carrier bags full of vinyl records so i was happy.

You know, there's a thing they invented way back in the day, and it's called punctuation. You really ought to consider using it now and again, so that people reading your post can actually understand it.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic