What are YOU watching?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are YOU watching?

Postby Rob P » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 pm

I've finished the first series of Mr Robot. Didn't like the twist in it but overall I enjoyed it. The main character is really uncomfortable but it somehow works and there are plenty of strings to be picked up in another series.
Rob P

Postby Pyroriffic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:04 am

I've started a re-watch of Breaking Bad. And it's every bit as good as I remember it being the first time round.

I believe there's a plan to binge-watch S2 of Daredevil over the Easter weekend, though... whee!
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Athelassan » Thu May 12, 2016 3:59 am

I caught up with and watched The Night Manager and was struck by the way its plot is very similar to that of Licence to Kill in most important respects. Sure, it's arms trading rather than drugs, there's la distressing absence of people waterskiing into planes, being eaten by sharks or exploded in pressure chambers, and Pine is a new asset rather than a Bond-like veteran, but the way things play out is almost identical in some respects.

Of course, Licence to Kill is one of my favourite Bond films, so I enjoyed The Night Manager.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu May 12, 2016 6:43 am

The third season of Penny Dreadful. Everybody is back, the dialogue and the acting are still excellent, and the sets are even more gorgeous. Plus, long conspicuous by his absence, Big D is finally on board. :D
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Athelassan » Tue May 24, 2016 12:25 am

Having followed up The Night Manager with The Man in the High Castle I'm now watching, um, Spartacus.

Ye gods, this show. It's like someone took the combat scenes from 300 and the most absurd parts of Game of Boobs and decided to mash them together into an entire show. "Gratuitous" doesn't begin to cover it. The first episode is legitimately terrible, and much of the first season is carried by John Hannah and Lucy Lawless, in between gratuitous sexing of their own, although things do improve after about the halfway mark.

And yet, if you accept it for what it is - which is, ultimately, crap - it's quite entertaining and as it matures even manages to develop some convincing character relationships and individuals whose fate you come to care about. Historically, it's probably no less accurate than the Kirk Douglas film, although it's still fairly wide of the mark in most respects, including the ever-present lorica segmentata armour which has no business being on a legionary of that period (and the first season and the prequel season are of course almost entirely fictional). Having deftly avoided the "authority equals asskicking" trope for most of its run, at least as far as the Romans go (the slaves are a different matter) it does seem to dive into that wholeheartedly in the third, with both Crassus and Caesar (what's he doing there?) being deadly warriors in their own right. And the dialogue, mimicking Latin with omission of articles and possessives where possible, can come to sound increasingly stilted and annoying.

But it's still fun, in a sort of "I really shouldn't be enjoying this" way. If you fancy a show where about a third of it is sweaty half-naked men jumping about shouting and waving swords, this is the show for you.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Major Rawne » Tue May 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Athelassan wrote:Having followed up The Night Manager with The Man in the High Castle I'm now watching, um, Spartacus.

Sparticus is just stupidly good fun for all it's gratuitous excess.
Major Rawne

Postby Pyroriffic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:38 am

We binged on 'Stranger Things' on Netflix.

Do it.

It's like... The Goonies meets Fringe meets Poltergeist.
Pyroriffic

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:We binged on 'Stranger Things' on Netflix.

Do it.

It was brilliant. Very much put me in mind of Super 8 from a few years ago. Absolutely sold the setting.

I myself am currently knee deep into Star Trek: Next Generation as they all recently went up on Netflix. Really good stuff, even though it grates somewhat at how nice everyone is all the time.
Major Rawne

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:We binged on 'Stranger Things' on Netflix.

Do it.

We've just finished watching this, too. My thirteen year old son loved it, even though my wife and I were probably more the target audience for the nostalgia side of things... and it goes without saying that we loved it too. I only hope they recapture the magic with season two.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:11 pm

I watched the Outcast series on a weekend binge last week.

Worth a watch. It's completely daft at the beginning. Dude exorcises demons by beating the possessed person up. The possession storyline becomes more complex as the season progresses and the finally sets the story up nicely for a season 2.
Rob P

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Rob P wrote:I watched the Outcast series on a weekend binge last week.

Worth a watch. It's completely daft at the beginning. Dude exorcises demons by beating the possessed person up. The possession storyline becomes more complex as the season progresses and the finally sets the story up nicely for a season 2.

Seen the first few episodes and been quite impressed with it. It's actually another good adaptation from a Robert Kirkman comic, much like The Walking Dead in that respect.

As for what I've been watching I've managed to get Heroes: Reborn finished. On the whole a nice return to the show, and i'm certainly interested in more. Then I've also made a start on season 2 of Dark Matter, pretty bog standard sci-fi affair but enjoyable nonetheless. And finally i'm racing through the British House of Cards which is pretty brilliant so far.
Major Rawne

Postby Athelassan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 am

Catching up on some Marvel stuff as it's fairly easy to watch while playing Minecraft. I think Marvel has overall done a great job with the cinematic universe, but I must admit I'm starting to find it a bit stale in some ways. While none of the films are bad, the plot structure and pacing is repetitive and predictable, and so while there might be engaging performances, witty dialogue, or cool special effects, there is an extent to which it feels you're watching the same film over and over again. The other thing I'm increasingly noticing and getting frustrated by is that so many of these films are too long. Where they might be a tight 100 minutes they can't resist creeping up to the two-hour mark or even longer, and in many cases it really shows.

I got to thinking about X-Men 2, especially in the light of Apocalypse (yeah, I know, not MCU) and how it might quietly be the best superhero film ever made. Structurally it still has a lot in common with other superhero films, but it has the courage to have a relatively low-key finale, one where a duel with claws is the action culmination of the film, one where the threat feels real and important but doesn't feel it requires a big battle where everyone gets to show off their powers sequentially in order to impress that upon us. Compare that to X-Men: First Class which was for most of its length pretty great, and then felt the need to tack on an action ending. Or Days of Future Past which finished up with two simultaneous action-sequence endings neither of which felt necessary or in one case particularly important.

I'm not wishing to be pointlessly negative. The Avengers (Assemble) is still brilliant even though structurally it's nothing special. The climax of that is a brilliant example of how to do special-effects-heavy superhero battles well. In fact to an extent I wonder if one of the reasons subsequent Marvel films are starting to feel a little stale is that The Avengers (Assemble) already pretty much perfected the formula and everything since feels like a pale imitation.

To be completely fair, I think Civil War did attempt, if not to break the mould, at least adjust it slightly. The big zappy pew-pew battle which is probably required by the studio was moved forward so that the climax could be smaller and more personal, while the results of the earlier battle had enough impact that the final confrontation felt significant. So perhaps Marvel are aware of this themselves and trying to shake it.

The other thing I've found is that Agents of SHIELD really is the weak link in the whole business. Daredevil has its issues (especially a tedious commitment to post-Nolan "darkness") and I started to feel that the relentless negative developments of Jessica Jones stretched my patience, both were still good shows. Agents though is just mediocre, somehow. It's a nice concept but doesn't move beyond the cookie-cutter CSI/NCIS/etc.-type procedural, complete with standard-issue characters and not as much chemistry between them on screen as there should be. The whole thing has a slightly cheap, "made for TV", feel, with off-brand villains and a contrived setting. The cameos from Samuel L. Jackson, or the references to the Avengers, only really serve to highlight how mediocre Agents is by comparison with the films. And honestly I'm still not sold on the storytelling principle of bringing Agent Coulson back from the dead, though maybe that's the show's fault for not selling me on it well enough.

I know that his name is on it doesn't necessarily mean he had a significant hand in the creative process, but for Joss Whedon, it's disappointing. Recently I've also watched the work of another creative TV personality who at his best makes shows that blend drama and comedy seamlessly, and both The West Wing and The Newsroom, for all their oft-heavy-handed preaching, aren't even playing the same game as Agents of SHIELD, let alone on the same ballpark.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:05 pm

I can't stop watching the prologue to Lord Inquisitor. It looks awesome. Especially the parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby David Earle » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:51 pm

I've been watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Crunchyroll. "Bizarre" doesn't even begin to describe it but that's the only word that fits. There are eight parts to the manga, the anime is currently on part four. I've watched part one and I'm about halfway through part two. I could tell you everything that happens and it wouldn't matter because it's impossible to spoil this show, the insanity is too much, but I'll note that by episode six punching a vampire to death with fistfuls of sunlight is considered a mundane, trivial affair.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Dorian wrote:I can't stop watching the prologue to Lord Inquisitor. It looks awesome. Especially the parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

I agree. The character animation is a bit iffy, and the ships are cut-outs (if rather beautiful cut-outs), but the attention to detail is extraordinary. Thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to the full version.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:16 am

I know what I'll be watching next summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhQcK-Zaok
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Am all caught up on The Flash. Am a series behind on Arrow, and also want to finish the re-watch of Star Trek: Voyager, but that last one is starting to feel like dipping my eyeballs in acid.
Pyroriffic

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:55 am

Westworld is interesting, well-produced, well acted, with some glorious western scenery. I'm not sure how long they can keep things going with it, but, for now, I'm happy to stay awhile.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Caught up on S1 & 2 of Black Mirror. Crikey it's impressive. Now ready to settle down to Netflix S3 when I get the chance.

Also continuing my rewatch of TNG - really getting into the consistently good (if often still silly) bits now. Unification 1 & 2 are remarkably great, as have been the likes of Redemption 1 & 2. Really reminds me why I liked it so much.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Xisor wrote:Caught up on S1 & 2 of Black Mirror. Crikey it's impressive.

I watched S1.

I was deeply, deeply impressed.
Pyroriffic

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic