What are YOU watching?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

What are YOU watching?

Postby Jim Shady » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Says it all in the title!

Got the first Bottom live DVD on. I hope, HOPE Ade and Rik are in the process of writing a new series. Eddie and Richie in an old folks home will mean hilarity!

So, whats everyone watching? :D
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Re: What are YOU watching?

Postby Vivia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm watching the Sci Fi Channel and it's pretty bad. Rarely watch tv and then when I watch it it's bad. :)
Edit: Forgot to mention they're showing one their original films and it's b-film quality but in dull kind of way without enough kitsch to be entertaining. :)
Last edited by Vivia on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Saw half of Game of Thrones at my brother's house. It lives up to the book nicely. Of course, now I need to arrange a way to see the second half, with all the pay-off for the build-up...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Blinded » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Not much, just reviewing my old anime/cartoon collection... who knows, I might actually finish "Cowboy Bebop" this time.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Xisor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm watching Endeavour, the prequel to long-running high-ish brow crime-drama Morse. S'alright, I suppose. Feels a bit like Life on Mars meets Heartbeat. E.g. tame, but gritty.

Also, I'm about halfway through Doctor Who and the Silurians which has been quite good so far, but on the otherhand a lot like a really less exciting version of Inferno (which I understand to be a later 3rd Doctor serial).

And, of course, I was utterly blown away by last night's Sherlock. [spoiler]The bed sheet scene? No sheet Sherlock[/quote]

:lol:
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Watching Bolt. It's not bad. Going to put on some Smallville in a bit as I got the complete collection for xmas.
Major Rawne

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Watched Treasure Island earlier, was very good. Loved Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver.

Waiting for Supernatural and 30 Rock to return, only a few more days for both.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby J D Dunsany » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Xisor wrote:
Also, I'm about halfway through Doctor Who and the Silurians which has been quite good so far, but on the otherhand a lot like a really less exciting version of Inferno (which I understand to be a later 3rd Doctor serial).

And, of course, I was utterly blown away by last night's Sherlock.

Sherlock was tremendously impressive, not, alas, something that could be said of the Doctor Who Christmas special, which was, for all its delightful sense of wonder, as shiny and colourful and ultimately superficial as a room full of tinsel.

Doctor Who and the Silurians, though, is a much more substantial beast - I'm glad you're enjoying it. Like a lot of 70s Who, it's slow and slightly earnest, but I'm finding that that gives it a greater sense of weight. And it does feature a reasonably well-realised epidemic at the end. Couple that with a thoughtful, quite moral script and a couple of great performances from Pertwee and Courtney and, silly dinosaur effects aside, you've got a pretty fine story.

But, you're right. Inferno is more exciting.

Mind you, I've been watching Seeds of Doom on DVD which is horrifying in a way that new 'Who' doesn't seem to dare to be at the moment. And some of those Tom Baker lines are utter genius. I'm biased, of course ('The Seeds of Doom' - and, for that matter, Seasons 12-14 of the original show - were a huge influence on my childhood), but, once you're done with Pertwee, you could do a lot worse than pick up Seeds.... It's rather top.

All the best!

JDD

PS: I did manage to catch up with Red Riding courtesy of Virgin's TV On Demand service. Terrifyingly good stuff with some very compelling performances - not least the rather wonderful Mark Addy in the last episode. Well worth a look if you've got the time.
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Xisor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 am

On Sherlock/DWChristmess, yep, I thoroughly agree. There was some enjoyable novelty and shine to the Christmas special...but it lacked anything really gripping. (And I'm faintly persuaded by some of the feminist-y complaints on the horrific portrayal of a woman's role it gives; obviously hardly definitive [hell, Moffat gave us Sally Sparrow, Nancy, Reinette and, though I'm less impressed with her nowadays, River], but the criticisms of the only-useful-because-a-mother/wife aspect to her.)

Belgravia, on the otherhand, was oozing charm, wit and obscure plot revelations in a really lovely way.

J D Dunsany wrote:Doctor Who and the Silurians, though, is a much more substantial beast - I'm glad you're enjoying it. Like a lot of 70s Who, it's slow and slightly earnest, but I'm finding that that gives it a greater sense of weight. And it does feature a reasonably well-realised epidemic at the end. Couple that with a thoughtful, quite moral script and a couple of great performances from Pertwee and Courtney and, silly dinosaur effects aside, you've got a pretty fine story.

Yep, there's a lot going on in it, it makes for a stimulating watch, altogether. I picked it up as the Beneath the Surface pack, so I have The Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep to look forward (?) to too. I've not watched a huge amount of 3rd/4th Doctor, so am still finding myself a bit 'off' with them (I find 1st/2nd much easier to watch as it's a bit too far in the past for any of my preconceptions to hold; as you say there's an earnestness about 3rd/4th era which is slightly distracting...but of course it's certainly accountable for the era.)

I'll be sure to pick up Seeds at some point in the future though, Tom Baker is...exceedingly watchable!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:59 am

I just accidentally watched Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. A new entry for my Worst Films Ever Watched Hall of Fame. Astonishingly awful.

I'm now watching India/Australia, which is much better.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:09 am

Major Rawne wrote:Watching Bolt. It's not bad. Going to put on some Smallville in a bit as I got the complete collection for xmas.

I need to catch up on Smallville myself :)

Currently on the go are supposed to be Samurai 7 and Elfen Lied. But time is proving to be a rather scarce commodity these days. le sigh.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby David Earle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 am

I'm currently watching Breaking Bad, season two. I'm hoping to get caught up for the season four DVD release. Coming up, I've got Super (Dwight Schrute as a superhero - "Shut up crime!") and the Mike O'Meara Show Road Trip DVD to watch on my own, and Fright Night (the remake) to watch with my wife.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:08 am

Very much liked the recent BBC rendering of Great Expectations - perfect production pertinently adjusted from the text, and well acted to boot.

As to the Doctor Who Christmas special: it was a bit weak, wasn't it? Last years was much better.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 am

Currently working my way through:

Stargate Atlantis season 3
Sopranos season 4, I think
NCIS season 5
Dexter season 1 (the final 2 eps)

Loved Sherlock intensely, though:

Spoiler: Still hoping fervently that they've toned Jim Moriarty's manner down from old-school Graham Norton. No reason he can't be camp but that was just grating to me.

Found the "Sherlocked" bit a touch naff.

Didn't like that the body identified as "The Woman" was never mentioned again, even in light of Sherlock's incorrect identification of her body. Sure he identified it as her to keep her safe but I felt that some further explanation was needed given the setting.

Doctor Who was... a shame.
Raziel4707

Postby J D Dunsany » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Is anyone else watching American Horror Story, btw?

It's good in an excessive, slightly sleazy sort of way.

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 pm

I am, I am! Both me, my wife, and my eighteen year old daughter are very much enjoying it. Ticks every -American- horror cliché there is, and as such has never been less than entertaining.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby J D Dunsany » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Indeed.

I tend to come away from it feeling slightly soiled, yet thoroughly entertained - which perhaps says more about me than anything else!

It's very well-made - stylishly shot and, crucial for a horror TV story, properly underlit - but importantly it has characters that I find myself genuinely caring about (in this case, Violet and Tate) as well as characters I find quite repulsive, of course!

Nice use of 'The Yellow Wallpaper' this week, too.

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby flick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Still playing Skyrim...can't stop. Got pissed off with the children in whiterun, so turned into werewolf and chased them off. :twisted:
flick

Postby Vivia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Methinks this is the wrong thread. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby flick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:47 am

Hey, I'm watching the TV while I play.

Oh, and that Norwegian drama The Killing, addictive.
flick

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic