The Film Review Corner

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

The Film Review Corner

Postby greywulf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 am

This seemed to be a semi-popular thread on the Old Hole, so I thought starting a new one here would be good
(If an admin could sticky this post at the top, like the old one was, I'd be really greatful)

The old thread is here

The link to my Movie Review Blog, 24fps, which has a review for The Adjustment Bureau up!

The link to a movie review blog I help to contribute to, The Devil's Advocates Movie Review Blog, which also has its own very good podcast.

Intro For The Thread

As a lover of film, and as someone for whom film takes up such a large portion of my life, I enjoy talking about films, and expressing my opinions about them aswell as the industry.

So I thought Id start this thread to post any reviews for films that Ive seen, or opinions on upcoming films from watching their trailers at work.

Everyone is more then welcome to post their own reviews etc, in fact, I think it would be great for people to share their opinions on films they have seen, as I find it interesting to stack them up against the views of others as well as find new and interesting films to watch and share my own view with those that have recommended them.

I look forward to sharing.

GW
Last edited by greywulf on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Beyond Infinity
Movie, Comic, Book and Film Reviews, Views, Opinions And Comments
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Re: Film Review Corner

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 pm

We saw Rango over the weekend. Beautifully animated and very funny. Quite original, too, in style, and more aimed toward adults than most of this type. A lot of reverence for Spaghetti Westerns (The Eastwood makes an appearance), which was a deserved thing in my book.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Does this have to be about new films? I recently watched Human centipede on ScI-fI totally brilliant in my humble opinion that is.

I thought it was an interesting take o nthe old mad scientist/doctor thing. To have one put things together not take them apart and recombine or mutate was refreshing. It was a simple idea though what the two actress had to go through does not bare thinking about. It though it was well done as it did not require masses of special effects, so many of these films can be ruined by some ill conceived idea that they need to be gory to be good. As the old saying goes its not what you see its what you imagine. Though I know Wes Craven (I think it was him) does not agree with that saying.
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Pipitán » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 pm

I just saw Spirited Away for the first time. It's simply a staggeringly beautiful film, probably the best fantasy I've ever seen. The sheer imagination on display is mind-blowing. My favourite bits, in no particular order, were the Noface incident, the train ride across the sea, and the beginning. I'm finding it very hard to think about much more to say other than more superfluous adjectives describing its sublime beauty, but I suppose if I'm going to be critical the ending was a bit of a let down after the sheer magnificence of the preceding two hours. Certainly up there with the best films I've ever seen.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

For the...first time? Please, Pip, tell me that you've seen more Hayao Miyazaki movies than just that. Still, welcome to the ranks of Those Whose Lives Have Been Fulfilled!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:52 pm

I second Mossy Toes comments there Piptan.

If you haven't then I whole heartedly recommend the follwoing;
If you loved spirited away then Princes mononoke may also tickle your fancy perhaps along with Howl's moving castle. Another fav but different from former two is Porco Rosso is brilliant in my humble opinion. The Castle of cagliostro is different again to any of the other films but non the less good. Oh all of these films are by the same director, enjoy.
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Pipitán » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:53 pm

I have seen Princess Mononoke, which I found to be similarly awesome although not as totally out of this world, and I've ordered Howl's Moving Castle, but no, I haven't seen much else he's done. I'll definitely look up the two you mention, Bod.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Pretty much anything by him is bound to please. Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, Ponyo, etc...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby greywulf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is amazing. And sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund for nature too :D
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby davij038 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 am

Scott Pilgrim vs the world is terrible, I would not recomend it.

Watch Kickass . That is all.
davij038

Postby BL Graeme » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:29 pm

davij038 wrote:Scott Pilgrim vs the world is terrible, I would not recomend it.

Watch Kickass . That is all.

Funny, I have exactly the opposite opinions on those two.

I'd say that you should read both first and foremost anyway. Scott Pilgrim is a six-volume digest-sized comic series, and Kick-Ass... well, you've all read it, surely?
BL Graeme

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 am

I'd say it was more important to read Scott Pilgrim than Kick Ass. It's one of those things that makes you wish you were Canadian, the others being Due South and William Shatner.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 am

Canadians have a very high proportion, it seems, of musicians and webcomic artists in their population. That Justin Bieber is one of them...well, I won't hold it against them. Every nation has their garish pop icons. I'll be off listening to Metric and Arcade Fire while reading Goblins and Hark! A Vagrant!, thankee muchly.

Just...a general observation. Not related, I suppose, to Film Reviews.
Mossy Toes

Postby flick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 am

My 16 year old cousin like the star-wars prequels, I kinda like the revenge of the sith, since it's the least teeth achingly bad. But said cousin thinks that Phantom menace is the best of the lot, and that revenge of the sith is the weakest..

*confuzzled expression*
flick

Postby greywulf » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 am

Check out my new review of Battle: Los Angeles!
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby Brother Emund » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 pm

greywulf wrote:Check out my new review of Battle: Los Angeles!

Read your review. Seems like the perfect film to while a way a few hours!!
All men with honour are kings, but not all kings have honour
Brother Emund

Postby Squiggle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

I just went and saw The Adjustment Bureau which was very good. I am now slightly in love with Emily Blunt...

I pretty much entirely agree with greywolf's review which can be found on his blog.

But I would say it is more about the relationship between Damon and Blunt and the lengths he is prepared to go to in order to risk her, and less action. But thats ok. I really enjoyed it and I'd highly recommend. In my opinion it is far superior to Inception partly because it has a much better idea of what it is trying to be, and partly because they didnt bother with all the stupid over-blown action sequences which added nothing to the plot. That is, of course, just my opinion. ;)
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 am

My urge to see it has just risen--if this were possible--to another level. Good (wo)man, Squig.
Mossy Toes

Postby Squiggle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Also, Emily Blunt... *swoon*
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby greywulf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Squiggle wrote:Also, Emily Blunt... *swoon*

She is absolutely stunninr. And a fine actress too.
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic