What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm

A whoooole bunch of Total War: Warhammer, with a solid side of Overwatch. Both excellent, albeit very different.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm looking into buying The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.
I came across it by accident on Deviant Art looking for mean elves, Russian artists have some nice stuff and I know the Russians love their dark stuff, I was like this is my ****.
By now I have read extensively on the TES wiki to catch up on the background and it's pretty awesome. It reads like weird dark fantasy, not sure I understand everything, but the weirdness appeals to me. I love the concept art and bleakness. From what I have seen on SorcererDave's LP it's looking promising.

So when I went to look for it on GOG and Steam I thought maybe the newer games were equally interesting so why not buy a bundle with Oblivion and Skyrim.
I did my research.

I tried, by the gods, I tried to read the Oblivion story and it was so bland I cannot do it. I swear some part of me fell asleep while reading because I was lying on my bed. I'm on Ritalin!
Not impressed by the game, either, with the blandest protagonist in gaming. I thought Link was neutral, but he has that undefined quality that appeals to players. Sheheit in Oblivion is less than a ghost. Generic world setting, pretty graphics, but very hollow. It's one of those games that lacks life and vibrancy, it's a statue of a game. The title is very fitting.

Skyrim looked appealing for 5 minutes and I was intrigued by the semi-Norse setting and characters, I was like, this is cool. No and no.
It's bland and generic with far too much Mammoth Hunters in what Jean M.Auel's dreams are made of, it's that cheap. The plot did nothing for me. I went to read about the Dragonborn, it was so uninteresting I can't remember the main details.

The graphics breaks the game for me, it's surprisingly ugly. One thing I can't get passed are the interiors. Reminiscent of the '70s, much? Mustard and brown colours everywhere that blend in together. We're supposed to laugh at the Mst3k films, not take inspiration!
The NPCs were highly unattractive, I liked the ghosts, though. Overall, the game design is very unattractive, one of the ugliest game I have seen in many years. I would never say that about the Fallout series and they're set in a polluted environment! Oblivion is better looking by far.

Funniest, in a Dragonborn LP the character was dressed as a barbarian in fur and leather (groan) and had the neatest Roger Moore beard and hairstyle. Fantasy! :lol:

I should have seen this coming because the fan art for these games are the same; super bland, non-dark, child-friendly, barbarian in a horned helmet, guy with stick, tunics, beards etc, the most generic fantasy characters imaginable. It never appealed to me, but I thought it was only on the surface, I have been surprised before. But it has zero in common with the art of Morrowind.

Btw, this isn't the first time I have tried to watch an LP with these games over the years, I have tried, darn it.

This is such a shame, I had high hopes, after all Bethesda has done so well with the Fallout series, they have kept it fresh and interesting all these years with the design, art, story and ambience. The TES series doesn't seem to hold up as well. I can't even imagine how bland the next TES will be if this is what we get now.
Last edited by Vivia on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby David Earle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:52 am

Just finished Inside. If you liked Limbo, or hell, if you're on this forum and you like video games: PLAY THIS.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Athelassan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Vivia wrote:Skyrim looked appealing for 5 minutes and I was intrigued by the semi-Norse setting and characters, I was like, this is cool. No and no.
It's bland and generic with far too much Mammoth Hunters in what Jean M.Auel's dream are made of, it's that cheap. The plot did nothing for me. I went to read about the Dragonborn, it was so uninteresting I can't remember the main details....
I should have seen this because the fan art for these games are the same; super bland, non-dark, child-friendly, barbarian in a horned helmet, guy with stick, tunics, beards etc, the most generic fantasy characters imaginable. It never appealed to me, but I thought it was only on the surface, I have been surprised before. But it has zero in common with the art of Morrowind.

A friend of mine got me Skyrim as a present earlier this month and while I've struggled to admit it I think I share your opinion. The story doesn't excite me, the setting seems pretty generic fantasy, and the gameplay has fallen into the trap of apparently open-world gaming of giving you too many options most of which are irrelevant. If I want to play a crafting game I'll play Minecraft - and honestly the combat in Skyrim doesn't appear any more sophisticated. NPCs will launch into long monologues with terrible accents at the slightest provocation.

I got stuck against a difficult boss although of course there are other options available and I don't have to fight him. But I'm just not interested enough in the game to go back to it I think unless I really don't have anything better to do.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:54 am

Just completed Halo 5. Very glossy, as you might expect, and wide open for Halo 6... as you might expect. Probably has the biggest muliplayer package of all the Halos to date, which I have yet to explore. Now on to Doom (which, by my reckoning, would be something like Doom 4, or Doom the Second Reboot. How long before Quake makes its come-back, I wonder?).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:16 am

Pokemon Go. So much of it.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Athelassan wrote:A friend of mine got me Skyrim as a present earlier this month and while I've struggled to admit it I think I share your opinion. The story doesn't excite me, the setting seems pretty generic fantasy, and the gameplay has fallen into the trap of apparently open-world gaming of giving you too many options most of which are irrelevant. If I want to play a crafting game I'll play Minecraft - and honestly the combat in Skyrim doesn't appear any more sophisticated. NPCs will launch into long monologues with terrible accents at the slightest provocation.

I got stuck against a difficult boss although of course there are other options available and I don't have to fight him. But I'm just not interested enough in the game to go back to it I think unless I really don't have anything better to do.

Ath

Good grief, I forgotten about the atrocious accents. No actors were involved in the production. Something isn't right there. Get real Irish speakers not some O-Irish Jessica Fletcher.

I know what you mean about the open-world gaming. I watched an LP with a warrior dude riding on a horse for quite some time fighting monsters. I guess the drawing point was the night cycle, I have no idea what the player was doing there, nothing about the game sticks to my mind. Story, optional.
None of these players have been following the plot, either. The wiki was the first time I read about the Dragonborn. So, what is the game good for?
I can do the same in Ocarina of Time, with day and night cycles. And Link's forest outfit is way more colourful. Putting a lot of heart into game developing makes a timeless game.

Did I mention that the forest the barbarian went to had the exact same shades of brown and yellow? Like, seriously. he went from a murky yellow house to a murky brown forest. Green forests are a thing of the past. The dungeons are grey and brown. Ah. This was an LP in 34 parts, pure torture in wood.
"Wood, Jerry. Wood."

On other news, I'm highly impressed with the Ultima series. I was watching Resulka's Ultima VII: The Serpent Isle. For the 90s, it is impressive. The soundtrack is really accurate for the setting instead of the usual 80s synth that was common in the day. I liked it so much I want to play them and some are abandonware!

After a few months reading Tolkien I'm also highly impressed with the different types of races and settings in there. We had the hobbits living in holes with round windows, the galadhim living in giant trees. Things that are fit for a fantastical world. And then we get fantasy games such as Skyrim in vivid mustard yellows and browns.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:49 am

Playing fallout 2 I've sunk a large amount of hours into in order:
Fallout 3
Fallout new vegas
Fallout 1
Fallout tactics
Fallout 4
And wow I'd forgotten how much of a challenge fallout 1 and 2 can be can't say I'm happy about becoming for all intents and purposes hitler after doing a few slave runs my karma is at -110... theres no real way to make enough money/xp early on to make the further game viable seriously the amount of times I got eaten by mole rats so I'm going back to the first town to kill some rats maybe that will make me more pleasant karma wise
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Mostly Overwatch, with a smattering of Destiny.

Just getting my teeth into No Man's Sky.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby David Earle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:20 am

So much Doom. Glut aside, I'd love to see a 40K shooter in this style.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Xisor » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:05 am

Been playing through a chunk of Fallout 3 again to pass the time. My version of it keeps crashing after a few hours, so being reconciled with it, I find its good for preventing me from playing for far too long.

It's a fairly simple game, but I like the 'scavenger queen' route I've taken my character down - very high repair. Every time I go back to 'Base', I sell off everything weaponry/armoury except my rock-it launcher and my spiked knuckles, and all my ammo (Inc junk). Then it's a simple, broadly varying quest to "bend down, pick up any weapon you can, and *t**t the f*****y out of them", which is nice.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:16 pm

David Earle wrote:So much Doom. Glut aside, I'd love to see a 40K shooter in this style.

Strange, I thought it very similar to Space Marine anyway: arade-y, dark, ultra violent, but with somewhat more humour and better graphics.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby David Earle » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 am

Chun: The speeds Doomguy gets up to and the glory kills are what I think of now when I hear about "post-human OH F*** IT'S SO FAST HOW CAN SOMETHING SO BIG BE SO OH F*** I'M DEAD" syndrome, or whatever the Heresy books call it. :lol: Not that Space Marine wasn't loads of fun but the pace was slower.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 am

I've fixed a graphics driver issue that's been causing about 1/3 of the games I own to crash on launch, so recently I've finally been playing around in Borderlands, Borderlands 2, SUPERHOT, and the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta. Borderlands has sort of... one-note jokes and a "humor" that I don't buy into fully, but I still feel decently enough about it to carry through. SUPERHOT is excellent, though there isn't too much room for it to expand beyond the demo's premise. The Torment beta is all well and good, though the character models are so granular and garrish that I somewhat shudder when playing with them. Here's to hoping it at least comes with a character customization option come launch. I also have a bit of a mental wetware problem with folks referring to "The Changing God," you main antagonist/your sire, since my mind just jumps to Pillars of Eternity's Thaos ix Arcannon whenever he's mentioned.

Will be playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and the first two Witcher games soon.
Mossy Toes

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 am

No Man's Sky steals your life.

STEALS IT.
Pyroriffic

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Yeah - I'm in two minds whether to but an Playstation 4 just for that... though there are rumours it MAY appear on the Xbox One. I mean, Elite Dangerous is damned good, but it's quite same-y and, well, dead in comparison.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:22 pm

I found this video while watching a let's play of TES Morrowind: Tribunal by Samyoul Online. I really like the LPs of the game.

The Elder Scrolls: The Dumbing Down

His video is interesting as he brings up some of the things I thought and mentioned in my earlier posts, the differences is that he is a long-time player of the games and he knows these things in-depth, while I'm a complete newcomer to the series. It doesn't take a lot of playing to see that Daggerfall and Morrowind are vastly different to Oblivion and Skyrim. That the plot went from dark fantasy for adults to cheese and ham for teens. (Not surprising that one comment mentions falling asleep while playing Oblivion, I fell asleep reading the wiki.)
Samyoul Online also talks about the constraints of voice acting in gaming, after all this time we still get Murder, She Wrote acting and dismal accents. Why spend money on good stuff? I don't blame Bethesda, kind of, I have listened to the horrid VA in World of Warcraft, I know what it means to be sad.

His video isn't only about TES, it's about the gaming industry in general: we live in the most exciting time when it comes to technology, and at the same time the worst time, as PC and console gaming is struggling with smart phone and casual games that cost from 10-100 sek. Candy Crush and Bubble Witch have like 100 million players around the world. The dumbing down isn't something that is going away any time soon.
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 am

I've been playing "The Pillars of Eternity" this last week. It's quite good. I think im better at it than I ever was at Baldur's Gate II. Infinitely less time spent not having a clue what I'm doing or where (or why) I'm going.

Visually, there's something quite nice and twee and bout it too. Little touches of Mexican, Eastern European and Pacific that are much less obnoxious than the more typical Captain Japan sort of efforts. Beyond all that, it not entirely sure what to make of it, but very much enjoying it so far.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:55 pm

A couple of games. I fell down the Senran Kagura hole, which is basically all NSFW but aside from that Estival Versus (the latest game) is a pretty good beat 'em up.

And then I pulled myself out to play some Final Fantasy XV, which has been loads of fun so far but I've had nearly no time to spend on it. Oh the cursed holidays!
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Finished the main Final Fantasy XV story and am cheerily mopping up trophies.

Loved it, but then I was always going to.
Pyroriffic

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic