What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Vivia » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:21 pm

The Phantom Pain! That title is awesomely awful. :lol:

This post is a lot about voice acting.

PushingupRoses has a new review of the The 7th Guest from 1993. This is an odd game, it was one of the major PC games best-sellers along with Myst, but I could never get to like it. PUR described it quite well just on what has bothered me about the game: a comically ebil man creates dolls that he sells to children to kill them. Then he gets another impulse to build an ebil mansion. That's the entire story, no background whatsoever to the reason behind creating a mysterious mansion that kills people. Agatha Christie's Then There Were None was an influence. The game is visually stunning for its time, but lacks depth. PUR touches upon the terrible voice acting. :lol:

Lately, I have watched a few LPs from all over the place. This one through a Simmer player, one with an odd title, Life is Strange.
It was very Twin Peaks light and it peaked my interest a lot at first, set in a small awful town with equally horrid people. I was like holy ****, must everything after The Walking Dead be so hideously ugly and drab. Twin Peaks wasn't ugly like this. Well, I went to the Wiki and it turns out it's made by a French developer (and published by Square Enix of all people). I was so surprised to find out that the developers travelled to the US to get an authentic feeling. Holy guacamole, I don't know what's more horrifying, Lovecraft monsters that devour you from a hidden closet in an evil mansion or that towns like this actually exist to this day in our world. The grimy '70s never left, that's for sure. The grating over-acting was the other off putting thing, it should be labelled with "Melodrama" , but I couldn't hear over the misogyny. I'm not going back for more of this visual assault, nothing wrong with the Let's Player as it was my mistake finding it.

The game Full Throttle has some interesting settings in the US desert area. The story revolves around bikers and isolated towns in the middle of nowhere. It's a LucasArt adventure game and it's an extremely well-crafted game, it's rendered in pixels and the animation is flawless, the soundtrack is wonderful. It has some of the most phenomenal voice acting, this sets the standard for gaming, it's that awesome. It's so odd that voice acting hasn't come that far, we still get stuff like MGS and Mass Effect. It isn't so much about acting per se, but about directing dialogue that the gods forgot, and well, it's a writing problem. Whatever the LucasArt did they got the acting flawlessly, there isn't one line out of place, though I think much of it it's due to the voice talent, every line is full of meaning. 8-) I love the mix of absurdity and bleakness, the story is pretty hard-boiled with the violence and adult themes. It was obvious the influence was Road Warrior in the action scenes. The game is worth playing for the songs at the end credits alone imo.

"It's not the blood, it was how you were twisted up like a pretzel."
"Send me a postcard from the ambush!"
"I wonder how they keep it so smooth."
"Cars! No, thank you!"
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:05 am

Mossy Toes wrote:A tiny little indie game that's a sort of... visual novel. Very short, only about half an hour per playthrough, but worth several playthroughs certainly. I am happy having spent my $6.66 for We Know The Devil, about a trio of cute queer teens at bible camp who have to spend all night in a cabin where they will meet the devil.

Also have heard quite a bit of buzz in my various twitter circles about a little alt rpg called Undertale, so I suppose I'll be poking my nose into that next.

Uh, We Know The Devil is fantastic, by the way. Just in terms of powerful cathartic narratives of treachery and heartbreak. I wept for two of the endings, and bared my teeth in vicious triumph for the 4th and final secret/true ending.

Undertale I got, uh, halfway through and chose to restart after having accidentally killed some people. I want a true pacifism run, damn it! It's a deliberately crappy-looking game, but I do appreciate its sense of humor. Always date somebody in that game if you get the chance, is all I'm saying.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Finished up both Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands today. Excellent games.

Next up I think i'll be playing some more Crimson Dragon and maybe dip back into Shadow of Mordor or Diablo 3.
Major Rawne

Postby David Earle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Still playing The Phantom Pain and have gotten to the endgame period.

The good: the gameplay. Everything's divided into nice bite-sized chunks of fun, or you can screw around in a big open world environment. There's plenty of stuff to do, the missions are nicely varied, the mini-missions (side ops) are sometimes repetitive but not quite by enough to get annoying. Basically I can take an hour, do one or two things, and go back to parenting with no problems.

The bad: the story has turned into a bit of a trainwreck and from what I'm told it does not get better. Minor spoilers:

Spoiler: you "win" the game around mission 31, but there are 50 or so missions total, a good chunk of which are "replay this earlier mission on Hard mode". The latter half of the game story appears to be your team making unforced errors that cause everything you've built to fall apart.

The ugly: the expense of the best upgrades requires you to either grind resources like crazy or participate in the online microtransaction system. Which, it turns out, is a rip-off, since the additional resources you can buy are STILL crazy expensive and time-consuming to actually take advantage of. (For example, you can buy an extra base, but the amount of in-game money you need to kit it out is vastly inflated, so there's not really any point. With an extra base, you can send combat units out for valuable resources, but the ops take three days compared to 30 minutes for the normal offline kind.) Basically the upgrade curve is effed for anyone who just wants to play through the game, and isn't much better for people who want to S-rank every mission and complete every objective.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 am

Halo 2 - nice bit of tarting up for the Xbox One.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm

Playing fallout tactics doing the quincy mission and do all the main objectives so go feth it and think CLENSE!! PURGE!! KILL!! and save the rest of the towns folk approaching the generator building,after saving the whore house... the game crashes took me 40 minutes as the beast lords got lucky with LOTS of crippling hits and guess were my doctors bags were? back at the bunker in my storage locker, oddly a full first aid kit can't splint an arm for some reason so im going to de-stress and come back to the mission tomorrow only I'll save after I've done the main objectives before going on to clense the tiwn of invaders oh the deathclaw? Piece of piss to kill were all packing AK-47's formed a firing line burst fire him/her till its dead.

The first 30 seconds of this video sum up my feelings in the manner he delivers im miffed but also laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h68CfIUkPKs
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby David Earle » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 am

Fallout 4. It is a mixed bag - the good parts are very good, but the bad parts have me falling asleep while I'm playing. This should not be a game feature. The problem is some parts of the game require you to scrounge around looking for random junk to do some boring objective that doesn't impact the story one jot. But man oh man, when you stumble into some awesome side plot you weren't expecting, this game is good. Also I'm a heavily armored boat captain.

Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby sam vimes » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Playing XCOM Enemy Within, forgot to equip my Major rank sniper with plasma pistol/sniper rifle combo, just default guns and ghost armour, I was tired lol and got her confused with four other female snipers at the same rank.... yeah I know weird but this play through has a stiffie for snipers got five male sniper squaddies I need to rank up as well, anyways so far on this mission killed three heavy floaters with rifle shots and has just killed a muton elite and beserker with the basic pistol, guess it truly is the wielder not the weapon lol
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Therion » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Last game I bought was:
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/471/Fl ... 7s.Edition
Got it on winter sale for 60% of price.

Was pretty cool. Until I learned that AI can't use WMDs, that is :( .

Aren't playing this month anything because I'm way too stressed out about future :( .
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby OshawaIcedHands » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Fallout 3. Computer's bad so I can't play 4 but 3's still holding up with the right Emb installed. New Vegas is darker but I do not exactly get immersed in the setting.
OshawaIcedHands

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:31 am

Elite: Dangerous. I keep asking myself, 'Ultimately, what's the point?'... but I'm flying around the galaxy in a spaceship, man. :D
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:16 am

A whole lot of Warframe. Free-to-play Spartans fight the Covenant, UNSC, Flood, and Predecessors--sorry, I mean armored ninja wizards fight the Grineer, Corpus, Infested, and Orokin/Sentients.

Ok it's actually a bit more 40k grimdark than it is Halo-esque, and I haven't played Destiny but I imagine certain thematic overlaps are even stronger there. It throws an almost Tribes-style jumping and sliding and mobility into its tight, claustrophobic corridors so your characters are bouncing around like ping pong balls of death. Lots of weapons and warframes to choose from (a somewhat overwhelming degree), and your overall "mastery rank" progression is based on how many of those weapons you've mastered. Quite a fun timesink.

Have also preordered Total War: Warhammer, so here's to crossing my fingers...

I've dropped my computer a few too many times, so about a third of the time when I try to launch a game I get, that game simply won't work. Alas, poor SUPERHOT, I barely knew ye. Or at least, knew your free prototype.

Hyper Light Drifter. HOLY AMAZEBALLS THAT GAME IS BEAUTIFUL AND ALSO HARD. Think... Legend of Zelda (overall gameplay, themes of exploration and discovery) meets Dark Souls (difficulty, repetition, themes of a cruel and obtuse world all around) meets Hotline Miami (lurid colors, iteration on running a room until you get a clean and perfect clear, themes of gradual deterioration of the protag). Meets Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, most of all, really, with gorgeous background settings and enemy types. I need a controller because I feel the difficulty is only increased by trying this with mouse+keyboard. Have yet to beat a boss.

I fell into an Elder Scrolls Online rut for a while but think I've managed to drag myself out of it. Even if I feel guilty at having kind of drifted away from the dunmer Tribunal Temple RP guild I joined--ah well, I hadn't even made the rank of full Ordinator, yet.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Got myself back into a bit of gaming over the last week or so after what feels like ages playing nothing. Finished up the main storyline to AC: Unity. Not terrible on the whole, and certainly an interesting backdrop of the French Revolution, but it was clearly a game that they never quite got right.

To follow up I've dived right into AC: Syndicate. So far this is much more like it the AC games I loved. Although they finally bring you to London after years of speculation and dump you straight into Croydon. Nothing like starting from the gutter up :lol:
Major Rawne

Postby David Earle » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:09 pm

I jumped into Dark Souls III with both feet. Boy is that sure a Souls game! :P I'm not sure how many times I've died but I'm already save-scumming like crazy (don't judge, I've got two kids under 3 and limited time). Last night I got killed by a tree. An effing tree. CURB-STOMPED by said tree. I'm having a blast.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Athelassan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:01 am

Minecraft.

It's good fun, if rather frustrating at times (but what game isn't?) I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the game's probably more fun with other players, but having started in single player, switching to a multiplayer server means starting from scratch, which when you've spent hours building a massive fortress and assembling chests full of diamonds, seems a bit of a slog. Also, having got used to having the world to myself, having to "play with others" who had different ideas for the same project or went about things in a different way to me (laying out a mine, for instance) was a little aggravating. But such is always the way.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Rob P » Sat May 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Finally started the non-game That Dragon, Cancer. Followed it and contributed to the Kickstarter. It's a really emotive experience so far. Horrible in some ways.

Also picked up Firewatch - not sure if this is a non-game too, but suspect it falls that way.

Realised I don't have time for games where you need to dump more than 5 hours in to see the end and where you need to play multiple hour stints (e.g. WoW and Eve)
Rob P

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri May 20, 2016 7:46 am

Been a bit fickle with my gaming lately. Bit of WildStar, bit of Guild Wars 2, lots of Destiny and lots of Battlefront.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Xisor » Fri May 20, 2016 7:54 am

Once I get an Internet connection back (5 days!), I think my first port of call will be another bash at some more The Old Republic. Quite fancy a bit of daft sci-fantasy. There's also the possibility of acquiring a new machine too, so I have that to daydream about over the next few of months too...
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Overwatch, in 4 hours!

Played a bunch of the beta and quite excited for the proper launch. Anyone else here on the forum playing?
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Tue May 24, 2016 2:26 pm

I tried Doom. It's very good, but I'm still in Dark Souls 3's clutches so I'll need to delay actually buying it.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic