What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:55 am

Total War Empire (have I got that the right way 'round?). It runs like a pig even on the lowest settings, but is intriguing and well-researched. The navel battles look promising (though hardly reaching O'Brian levels of realism ;) ).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Therion » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:49 am

Epic 40k: Final Liberation. It got released on GOG recently.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby David Earle » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:34 am

Fallout Shelter. Ho boy. It's not a deep game by any means, but it does "hurry up and wait" gameplay a hell of a lot better than most free to play games. You're almost constantly low on resources, and rewarded for trying to "rush" production, but the flip side is if your Vault dwellers screw up you get rooms set on fire or radroach attacks.

I got my wife into it and it's worse than Candy Crush. At least we're not spending money on it.

I'm doing a Boatmurdered-style play log over here.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Also Fallout Shelter for me. Massively more entertaining and endearing than a lot of things. And feels 'pretty good and fun' in a way that Horus Heresy: Drop Assault just didn't.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:51 pm

I want to love Fallout: Shelter but I have only been met with utter disaster in the couple attempts at it. It seems to want to throw all the crap at me with little to no reward.

As for what for I've been playing, it's been a whole lot of Destiny. Don't know what it has been but I have really gotten back into the game. Also managed to finish Halo 3 this evening from The Master Chief Collection, onto the next game.
Major Rawne

Postby David Earle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:49 am

Agh, Drop Assault. The only enjoyment I got out of that game was the raw non-canon weirdness of Angron.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby David Earle » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:23 pm

My Fallout Shelter log is up to seven posts and counting. You can read the whole thing here if you're interested.

I'm busy trying to kill one of the optional bosses in Dark Souls 2 - not DLC, I'm not even going to attempt that. But I want to wrap up the main game before I move on to Until Dawn. Looks spooky.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:49 am

Yet another play-through of Halo on the Xbox One (I hope to play them all again before Halo 5 lands). There're some strange glitches in this updated version when playing at the Heroic level, not least the chamber on the Truth and Reconciliation where the Covenant continually respawn and are impossible to get through (I had to restart the chapter to find the chamber back at its normal -and easilly kill-able- population level :) ). Still bloody enjoyable after all these years.
Last edited by Chun the Unavoidable on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Tearing my way through Life is Strange. The ending to Episode 3 just sucker punched me with the feels.
Major Rawne

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:21 am

The Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'd heard the other two DLCs were thin on content, so I skipped them, but this one...

Well. This, uh, DLC. It absolutely blew my expectations out of the water. It gave half a dozen world-redefining lore revelations. It had major, major ramifications for the next game in the Dragon Age series. Excellently paced and plotted; truly menacing enemies and world-shaking events. It... well, it made me actually care about the setting of Thedas as somewhere I'm interested in seeing more of, rather than view it as "kinda bland fantasy setting with some good characters in."

I don't want to oversell it, but... damn. I think this might be the best chunk of DLC that Bioware's produced--and I say this as someone who (previously, at least) liked the Mass Effect universe several times more than the Dragon Age universe and was going into paroxysms of joy over the Citadel DLC.

The worst thing that can be said for this DLC is that it should have been in the original game as the game's final ending. Bioware almost certainly needed more time to develop this DLC, but now everyone can rightly complain that they're charging more than a quarter of the game's cost for a final expansion-zone/plot arc that takes a much smaller percentage of time to complete (for all that it's some of the highest-quality half dozen or so hours you're going to spend in the game).

The sheer amount of character payoff and tying up of loose ends while opening new threads for the next Dragon Age game... yeah, this should unequivocally be counted as the 'true ending" of the game, and I really feel sorry for the probable majority of players who are only going to play the main game and not get this quality-packed electric tension-bomb crammed through with massive revelations as a capstone to their experience.

Corypheus, who brings doom upon all the world? He looks petty and small in the light of this DLC. The core plot of Dragon Age: Inquisition never really drew me in in the first place... and this plot/lore/character-gasm of a climax shames the rest of the game by comparison.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:59 pm

I've played through Until Dawn once, blind, and now I'm going back to check out the paths and achievements I missed. This is one of the best games I've played all year, and I really liked Bloodborne. Excellent horror game. Peter Stormare is not to be missed.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm

David Earle wrote:I've played through Until Dawn once, blind, and now I'm going back to check out the paths and achievements I missed. This is one of the best games I've played all year, and I really liked Bloodborne. Excellent horror game. Peter Stormare is not to be missed.

That's one game i'm sad to see as a PlayStation exclusive. Really is right up my alley as a game, but I guess i'll settle for YouTube videos on the matter.

In other news I finished Episode 4 of Life is Strange last night. Another episode that hits you right emotional centre of your being.

Also making to jump back into Destiny. Tentatively likely the new improvements.
Major Rawne

Postby Therion » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Deadnaut:
http://www.gog.com/game/deadnaut

Awesome game about boarding ancient starships and trying to recover or destroy or kill stuff. Very tense.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:The Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'd heard the other two DLCs were thin on content, so I skipped them, but this one...

*snip interesting waffle*

Wow, I must really have played a different DLC as I thought this was horrifically linear and tacked on to the end of the game, not to mention the fact that once you start it you're then locked out from the rest of the game. That isn't to say to say there isn't some really good stuff in it, but I personally feel it's no better content wise than the first couple of DLC's (which both take equally as long to complete).

For me the real strength with Jaws of Hakkon and The Decent is going to come when I get to them on my second or third character and play them as part of my overall playthrough, rather than after i've already beaten the game where they feel lacking. With The Trespasser there's a real sense that I don't think it will ever feel better, which is a shame as you rightly point out that it has some really good story elements.

Anyway small winge over, it's all good in the end as Dragon Age is brilliant.

To bring myself back on topic I'm currently super excited for the Destiny expansion tomorrow, it could be what I end up playing for the rest of the week.
Major Rawne

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:35 am

Oh, and Doom 3, which is still a very stylish game (reminding me, on this late replay, of the much more recent Alien Isolation), and still gives me the willies (as Slartibartfast once almost said). Perhaps I'll at last complete it.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 pm

A tiny little indie game that's a sort of... visual novel. Very short, only about half an hour per playthrough, but worth several playthroughs certainly. I am happy having spent my $6.66 for We Know The Devil, about a trio of cute queer teens at bible camp who have to spend all night in a cabin where they will meet the devil.

Also have heard quite a bit of buzz in my various twitter circles about a little alt rpg called Undertale, so I suppose I'll be poking my nose into that next.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 pm

After a small break I'm continuing with The Sims, both 2 and 3. With both games I'm experiencing small annoyance. Both are broken games, TS3 is the worst of the two, it's crashed twice and Showtime EP is super broken. Shows without music, strange icons popping up at random places, people missing, artists missing and getting stuck.

TS2 has buggy delete options. Apparently, when you use the in-game delete bin it'll eventually corrupt the game. Amazing. Some of the corruption is fixable, but the deletion of families and house are very serious. I don't know what to do, some of my families are getting weird and the small errors are increasing in number. I have deleted a lot of things without knowing, sometimes I feel like I have to walk on eggshells whenever I see something unknown, and I spend a lot of time rushing to double-check everything. Thankfully the Sims community is awesome and there is a lot of help online. EA never fixed some major errors in both games and they're worse in TS4. Wtf. EA is more less Hollywood, never learn anything.

I'm bored of Fallout Shelter by now. Instead, I downloaded a couple of new freenium games from a new company, Haiku Games. They have the Adventure Escape series, and they're a lot of fun and well made for the genre. For once they do feel like real adventure games.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Vivia wrote:I'm bored of Fallout Shelter by now.

Yep,me too. Very fun for a while, and didn't die out immediately, but I certainly enjoyed it for a good while. Very... cute. But the novelty wears off. Shame, but it's not a terrible criticism. Did what it did pleasingly well.

I have half a mind to see about getting Pillars of Eternity shortly. There was a cool cyberpunk platformer/point+click advertised on Steam too -might dig it out and give it a look.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Just grabbed Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion because it's -75% on Steam.

DoW II is also on the cheap and free to play until Sunday, but CBA.
Rob P

Postby David Earle » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:01 pm

I ran through the basic missions in Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Not a bad demo/short game, but frustrating in a lot of ways. I'm coming from playing just the first MGS so the new stealth system took a lot of getting used to.

I'm now playing MGS V: The Phantom Pain, and once you get through the (overly long, somehow a bit dull) opening it's much better. The open world sandbox is fun to navigate and the missions so far have been enjoyable. I even managed to track down D-Dog! WHO'S A GOOD PUPPY. I do wish
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic