How are we?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: How are we?

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:12 pm

groovysl wrote: Part of settling down with Jen was an agreement that the book count would go down, and when I moved house only 500 or so came with me.

I'm not moving in with anyone yet, but me and the girl have a different aim, that is "try and afford a place where we can have a room that acts as a library".

Never going to happen but I would imagine that given no outside factors any place of residence I reside in will end up looking like a secondhand book stall by the time I have died such will be the weight of books I would accumulate.

As for the Chicken crossing the road joke I've heard that take on it before, I don't buy into it, the chicken committed to crossing the road not standing in the middle of it. Yes there is inherent danger in the act of crossing but if death was the desired outcome the Chicken's initial actions would've been different. "Why did the Chicken step into the road?" for example.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Athelassan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:49 pm

The curious thing about the chicken crossing the road joke is that it's entirely built on subverting the normal method of telling a joke. Instead of a punchline you get a sensible, obvious and mundane explanation. Nowt wrong with that; it's a fairly straightforward and well-attested comedic technique.

But at some point someone decided that it should be one of the first jokes everyone hears, despite nobody's being able to get it until they have a fairly good grounding in examples and the principles of conventional comedy. Which is why nobody finds it funny. If you waited until they were, say, 15, before telling the joke, it'd crease them up. But society has no patience and the game is given away at the earliest opportunity, throwing a pearl of a perfectly good joke to the swine of an underdeveloped comedic palate.

Something should be done.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Subvert the children young that is what I say.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Rob P: there are 11 "Symphony of Science" videos in all, and they are excellent.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Subvert the children young that is what I say.

Yes bring the children into the darkness induct them into the ways of the damned and if any one questions your actions just say Schafer told you to, :lol:

I think sometimes we can over analyse things looking for the hidden meaning, put there by the originator; when they never had any intention of putting such a meaning into their work. Take A damned Union, written as a result of getting feed up with all the royal wedding stuff, despite being a Royalist. However, some would say it represents a fear of weddings and commitment, which would be utter rubbish by the way :P
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Pyroriffic » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:30 am

Right here, this morning...

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:30 pm

I have a headcold, just as my sister got over her head cold. I feel really really terrible, thankfully I'm likely to be asked to switch my monday shift for a Tuesday to cover holidays so I may not be doing five days in a row right now cos I feel really tired and awful.

What I need is drugs, that's what I say.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jim Shady » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:36 am

Suffering with a bad chest, cough and what I would call the back end of a cold. Other than that, i'm peachy. Just after 02:30 in the morning at work and for once I am NOT bored.

Oh and I want to go home and play with the new cat who we have named, wait for it, Horus Lupercal. Beats the pants of ADB naming his cat Loken. :D
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:53 pm

I am angry, a person came from head office and eventually it annoyed me.

I tried not to care.

Really I did.

I expected him to talk to me like an idiot. I work at a supermarket after all, it is what I deserve. Also it benefits him when selling his crazy scheme as to how I am meant to perform the tasks I am called upon to do if we establish a power dynamic where I'm the smart one. When he asks "why don't you put down on the report what price you're reducing to" and I say "I always do inital reductions at the system suggested price" and he takes issue with that because he can't tell if that's the case looking at the report I don't go and show him the reports that show for the past four weeks the highest percentage of initial reductions made outside of those suggestions has been 9.7% because I don't care and I'm being nice and respecting him. It'd be nice if all my managers who have agreed with me with the flaws in the plan would perhaps mention it to him, I'm not paid to make things good, I'm paid to do as I'm told.

But the plan is really, really bad. We through away four times as much stock for going out of date tonight as we have done all this week so far. We ended up reducing items by over 80% to try and shift them which is unthinkable (I dislike taking more than two thirds off, occasionally a 75% reduction is required but I try to resist) and I didn't do as much work or as thorough work as I'd normally do because the timings were put out of whack which I don't like anyway because whilst I do work at a supermarket there is a degree of professionalism within me which dictates I try to do a good job more often than not.

By the end of my shift which was fifteen minutes after it should've been I really regretted my decision at 3pm not to actually discuss things properly with the regional bod because my deputy manager was there trying to manage him and appease him rather than calling him an idiot.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Rob P » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm not entirely following the issue.

Is it too low reduction in price resulting in poor shifting and ultimately a last minute mega reduction that does or doesn't shift stock?

Even if I haven't understood correctly I would push you to be insubordinate. I've had good experience of disagreeing with my superior when discussing things with the big bosses (even with my direct superior there). Saying what needs to be said can be an effective strategy when it is said to someone who is interested in the income of the business.
Rob P

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:26 pm

The system prioritises the lines that have been entered as going out of date on a day A,B or C depending on forecasted sales and amount entered for going out of date (we check for dates two days in advance) The issue is that we've now been told not to reduce any C priority items (which make up over half of the reductions) until 5pm and then only to reduce them to the initial system suggested price unless there are many of them (which theoretically there shouldn't be because these are the items that should be selling through). The issue is that the initial reduction price is never more than a third off the price (and sometimes a bit less than that) and it takes quite some time to reduce all these items and the amount of customers in the store dwindles significantly after 7pm when the rush is over.

Before I would start reducing these items around 3pm when the after school rush of mothers comes in, and at 5pm I'd start knocking everything down a bit more with the aim of finishing by 6pm so I can go on my break (as between 6pm and 10pm are the only hours the system allows you to input dates for products going out of date soon and it takes between three and three and a half hours for me and another colleague to go through the department checking for dates). Today I didn't finish the reductions until 6:45 which meant that the bulk of the customers had passed us by and many of the items were twice the price they would typically be at that time normally. By 8pm the Regional bod had left and the manager in charge was concerned at the amount of reductions not cleared so we reduced them again at silly prices (35p out of £2 is preferable to losing an entire £2) and still we had far more disposals for being out of date than normal.

I don't really have to say anything, everyone within my store knows it is stupid and wrong, but no one has the guts to have it out with this guy and I had initially decided to just grin and bare it. Really I'm just going to watch it all go wrong, waste increase and things go badly and then have it get changed back to a system that actually works a bit.

The head office person's plan is to limit our waste by having us not reducing so much so quickly, which in a way makes sense, until you realise that most people do check the dates of the stuff they buy nowadays and not selling it is more wasteful than selling it reduced. Of course if you don't realise those things what I was doing by actually selling most of it at only a third off between 3pm and 5pm was ridiculously wasteful.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Rob P » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Ah, I see. It’s a difficult position to be in.

Because I work for a small company I can speak directly to one of the directors (who are all nice enough to listen) when I need to. I suppose since the unhelpful person in your situation is middle management they probably don’t hold the interests of the company above their own superiority (though that may be an unfair assumption on my part). With that in mind it makes sense to keep your head below the parapet.

Note: I've never really considered the somewhat taxing logistics of stock checking and reduction zapping before.
Rob P

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 pm

it's not that taxing, it's just a shame when people muck things up. At my old store this plan would've worked better because it was busier until later, however the judgement is that as my current store makes a comparable amount of money the timings should always be later even though the customer dynamics are vastly different.

The bloke is just an idiot, any rudimentary look through the reports and statistics that get compiled by the computer system would show that he's barking up the wrong tree (and I know because I look at my department's figures because if they go wrong I'm one of the people who gets asked what is going wrong) with regards the reasons my department contributes to the store's loss figures. He just has his plan which he came up with, one size fits all stores and situations and that's that, it's not as if he is paid more than my Store Manager and could maybe be expected to be competent and decent at his job, that's not what corporations expect from their middle management.

I'm just angry because tomorrow is Norman's short day and that doesn't matter because sales on Saturday and the lack of customers on a Saturday evening mean I can do the work of two for the last hour of my shift easily because no one will bother me and there'll be less on the shelves to check, however if I am starting Saturday an hour or more behind schedule because of this nonsense it is going to end badly. (Also on Sunday where over half the reductions won't be allowed to be made until an hour and a half before the store closes, which seems like a fantastic way to get everything sold for as much money as possible).
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:12 am

I work in a gadget shop where the only threats are of boredom and the company going under.

In submitting our store's piece to head office to go in the staff 'magazine', I had a wee try at encoding "SEND HELP" into the piece. I now just have to wait and see whether it appears intact or was spotted by the 'editors'.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:23 am

oh good luck with that Xisor. You need all the help you can get.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:35 am

There is one advantage of being the second most senior person in a family company, I guess. I have the ear of the MD and the stores monkeys have my ear whenever they need it, and the circumstance works.

Schafe, there's nothing worse than a gutless manager who knows damn well that they should point out the flaw but doesn't, especially when everyone knows that they think the system is not suited to the particular situation in-store. You have my sympathies, you really do. I used to have to deal with security managers who had a really passive way of looking at security, that we should be suited and booted and stick out like a sore thumb, which lead to further problems as we invited abuse and became a target for the local teenagers. Also, ever tied wrestling someone to the ground in a suit? Or fighting in a suit? I have, because we had the city's main methadone dispersary on the bottom floor and they would not supply sharps gloves. FUN!
Raziel4707

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 am

I am less annoyed now I've gone to sleep, I understand the managers position, they're in a position like me where they're looked on to do as they're told, however I still reckon they are paid to have a responsibility to think a little.

My issues aren't anywhere near as serious as that Raz, it's just a bit of an annoyance that is all.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:57 am

Fair enough mate, it's still irksome when people try to apply a blanket policy where simple common sense dictates it will need tweaking for different places.
Raziel4707

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:02 am

I just instantly dislike the logic where decisions are made with regards the sales made by my store as a whole. My current store actually makes no more than my old store did and it has a massive general merchandise and clothing department so it has higher value goods to push the numbers up. Also sales are a very time sensitive thing, we may make a certain amount of money in a day but the rate of which we make it isn't evenly distributed throughout the day.

Of course I work for the same company that has over 500 stores and changes how things work in store after trying things out in only 50 because science is a widely misunderstood practice. What we need is more respect for scientific principles and better more consistent use of them in our day to day lives.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:22 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:What we need is more respect for scientific principles and better more consistent use of them in our day to day lives.

Oh, ah now you have hit upon a not to small bug “more like a big rampaging nasty old bear” of mine; the state of science education in British schools. As society gets more technological and scientifically advanced people need to understand more science, all science, biology, chemistry and Physics. Also an understanding that nothing in science is written in stone, it’s all mutable. The faster than light thing is a perfect example; though, I'm interested to hear that they are going to repeat the experiment. It will be really interesting to see if they do get the same result.

It gets me when news people cause E coli a virus, damn sloppy and stupid mistake. Oh and another one saying oh that food has chemicals in it. Today as I was eating my breakfast was another personal favourite, bugs are everywhere, oh that just gets my boat every time. Microbes are everywhere and there’s nothing you can do about it, or would want to (unless immunocompromissed of course). They are just as important to the natural order and a healthy environment as the air we breath. In fact they are responsible for the air we breath. So stick that up your pipe and smoke it, silly ignorant news people. Oh and they help us digest our food properly. I’ll stop now, sorry for the rant and taking up your valuable time :D
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic