How are we?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: How are we?

Postby Gaius Marius » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:54 pm

I had an anatomy exam today, I think it went pretty well and a chem quiz that went very well. Otherwise I will finish a study guide tonight and then go run.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I am brilliant. Though tired. Oh so tired. Getting used to early mornings again is not easy.
Major Rawne

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Early mornings are definitely a pain. I had a schedule like that for nearly a year when I was still doing the grunt-work. Not fun at all.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby sam vimes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Annoyed and hacked off with my bosses at work my manager, tried to say I didn't do any work last night because I signed the work sheets for the rollers the 21st not the 22nd because I was tired and thought it was the wrong day so she got told believe you me, as soon as you tell my manager were to go she leaves you alone as tbh shes a bully, and even more hacked off with the smug 22 year old counters manager that was on late shift, yep you read right 22 (im 23 soon to be 24) and a manager, so that tells me (his staff also say this btw) he has NO IDEA on how to work physically but knows a lot paperwork wise as he must have gone from uni to training room as 16 year old starter to 22 year old manager yeah right he's "earned" that as my old team leader was one of them for 10 years before he became a manager at 35, ugh what is it with pieces of paper and you somehow being better qualified than a person with 10 years experience in the job, as I did four years of computing and got good grades but that dont mean I know more than some one who's been doing it since they were 10 but haven't been to collage and uni to get the pieces of paper.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Rob P » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 pm

sam vimes wrote:Annoyed and hacked off with my bosses SNIP

Sorry to hear about that.

What wins in the war of Qualification vs Experience can be very job dependant, but I know what you mean.
Rob P

Postby Athelassan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:12 am

Xisor wrote:How'd the test go, Ath? (And what was it for anyway?)

I've just started a new course; passing this test (although a retake is allowed) is a requirement for graduation. As it turned out, it was incredibly straightforward, and given how low the bar is set I'd be astonished if I didn't pass with colours hoisted, if not necessarily flying. Truth be told, I suspected that this would be the case, but I didn't feel I could rely on its being so.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Mauthos » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 am

Exhausted, battered and sore from a weeked of training.

But very satisfied and fulfilled too. It's not everyday you get to train with a grandmaster, a 9th dan and an 8th dan of an art.

Very experienced men, very humble, approachable and it was purely an honour to train with them. Well worth the 7 hours of driving to participate and I got a shiny new certificate too :)

But opens your eyes to the old saying that there is always someone out there that is better than you, because a 63 year old and a 58 year old should not in anyway be able to move that fast or be that flexible. Just awesome!!

I have alot of work to do to reach those heights and I am feeling very excited about the prospect :D
Simplicity is the key to brilliance.
Mauthos

Postby sam vimes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 pm

debating with my uncle on FB over what is the greatest human invention, I say the written word, so far he's said that speech is when it's an adaptation and now he's saying cave paintings are *sigh* thier seperate to language and are more artistic representation than actual language
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm

It won't settle the argument, but I utterly love how it's put:

‎"A book is made from a tree. It is an assemblage of flat, flexible parts (still called 'leaves') imprinted with dark pigmented squiggles. One glance at it and you hear the voice of another person — perhaps someone dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time, proof that humans can work magic.

Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors. The library connects us with the insights and knowledge, painfully extracted from Nature, of the greatest minds there ever were, with the best teachers, drawn from the entire planet and from all of our history, to instruct us without tiring, and to inspire us to make our own contributions to the collective knowledge of the human species."

- Carl Sagan

Even reading that now and then, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Unfortunately my feet are freezing. Desperately need some baffies.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Your post makes me think of this.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby sam vimes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:51 pm

nice quote xisor made me smile and feel even more justified in refusing to embrace e-books, *spits* ugh do not like them my reply has for the minute silenced the debate but the man has both intelligence and common sense so this will rage for a while I think lol and nice pic pyro yet another reason IMO to not embrace e-books

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Raziel4707 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Hmm, I don't know if that reasoning would persuade me away from eBooks, but to each their own!

Inventions wise, the other day i was discussing this with my mother while at work and I commented on how unappreciated the simple lever is. Simply using leverage, I was able to tear through the welded metal tubing that held my old desk together. There was a cool moment looking at these big rips in two millimeter thick steel and knowing that I'd done that. With my hands and what was, essentially, a metal stick. Awesomes.
Raziel4707

Postby LordLucan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Watch Fry's planet word tonight (it is a repeat of the sunday edition about writing). I really like his viewpoint. ebooks and paper books do not have to be antagonists. One does not have to replace the other. I really like how Fry had a great passion for both formats.

Personally, I love physical books and would never give them up. Thankfully, e-books don't force you to. e-books are electronic files which can be read in any format or method. They are the written word just as much as physical books are.

I mean, look at us forum writers. Mot of whatwe do is typed on a computer and is mostly read from a computer.

More choice I say. But people who say ebooks will be the death of books are short-sighted. The book is a resilient beast. It survived othe rnew media. It'll survive this and continue to prosper. More boooks are published every year. It isn't going anywhere.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby sam vimes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 pm

LL I was watching the first episode on my ps3's Iplayer that was what made me post that on FB didn't watch all of it though to tired to keep interested, my main complaint is that I feel we use to many electronic devices as is, and sometimes its just plain nice to pick up a book, feel its pages, the weight and the smell of it, Giles in buffy the vampire slayer said that knowledge should smell and I couldn't agree more

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:26 am

I don't believe I will ever give up my solid books, just as my favourite albums are all in my colelction as physical media rather than the slightly soulless MP3 format. That said, the same was said of the compact disc by the vinyl generation, and the same will be said of MP3 by the next generation, whose music is stored on crystalline squirrels or somesuch.
Raziel4707

Postby LordLucan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:50 am

Raziel4707 wrote:my favourite albums are all in my colelction as physical media rather than the slightly soulless MP3 format. That said, the same was said of the compact disc by the vinyl generation, and the same will be said of MP3 by the next generation, whose music is stored on crystalline squirrels or somesuch.

And through all that, the book survives. Through the radio, tv, and the itnernet, it remains.

The printed book is resilient.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 am

It does survive, as does vinyl in no small way, but this is the first time there has been a viable alternative, is it not?
Raziel4707

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:12 am

For me, a large part of the pleasure of reading is the tactile actuality of holding a book. Older ones, especially, are a delight: properly bound -instead of purely glued- pages that can be satisfyingly thick or wondrously thin; the marks of previous use left by others - indentations of messages written using the book as a rest, 'This book belongs to ...' claims, marginalia. But, perhaps most of all (aside from the actual text in question), it's the aroma. Books can smell pristine, they can smell musty and dusty, they can smell damp, and -this the reservation of the older ones- they can have this amazing, almost creamy smell to the pages that I can inhale like the sweetest flower perfume with each turn.

In short, a physical book has a history in and of itself - a claim surely much harder to make for an ebook reader.

That said, I won't deny ultimate convenience of the electronic upstarts.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 am

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:For me, a large part of the pleasure of reading is the tactile actuality of holding a book. Older ones, especially, are a delight: properly bound -instead of purely glued- pages that can be satisfyingly thick or wondrously thin; the marks of previous use left by others - indentations of messages written using the book as a rest, 'This book belongs to ...' claims, marginalia. But, perhaps most of all (aside from the actual text in question), it's the aroma. Books can smell pristine, they can smell musty and dusty, they can smell damp, and -this the reservation of the older ones- they can have this amazing, almost creamy smell to the pages that I can inhale like the sweetest flower perfume with each turn.

In short, a physical book has a history in and of itself - a claim surely much harder to make for an ebook reader.

That said, I won't deny ultimate convenience of the electronic upstarts.

All of the above.

I get the point of e-readers, truly I do. But as Chun has said... books themselves are glorious things. I've always been faintly creeped out if I go to a house where there's not a book to be seen. It's as though something fundamental is missing.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Squiggle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:44 am

I dont like it. All this talk of ebooks and their ilk. I dont much like digital music either - I like buying cds, like nosing around bookshops. Like having things. I'm not a very materialistic person - don't care about having the best car, the best clothes, or whatever, but I like my books and cds - I've tended those collections. I have books I've re-read numerous times...

They are just so much cooler than ebooks!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic