How are we?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: How are we?

Postby Athelassan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Xisor wrote:
Athelassan wrote:I have a choice of three people for a new housemate; trying to make my mind up before any of them change their minds.

Ooh, who's out? And any ready means of differentiating (and promptly caricaturing) the candidate new ones?

Both of them, though it's staggered. She's already gone, so I'm looking for someone for her room first.

So far we have a Belgian IT guy, or one of of two girls.

SIngemeister wrote:Choose the ones who wash up after themselves.

They're quite difficult to identify, though. Anyone can say they wash up after themselves...

Also, there's an annoyingly large overlap between "washes up after themselves" and "is annoying about making you wash up after yourself"...

Ath
Athelassan

Postby The Hillock » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Stroppy. Quitting smoking.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby SIngemeister » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:12 pm

The Hillock wrote:Stroppy. Quitting smoking.

Goodonyer.
SIngemeister

Postby Vivia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 am

Athelassan wrote:
Xisor wrote:
Athelassan wrote:I have a choice of three people for a new housemate; trying to make my mind up before any of them change their minds.

Ooh, who's out? And any ready means of differentiating (and promptly caricaturing) the candidate new ones?

Both of them, though it's staggered. She's already gone, so I'm looking for someone for her room first.

So far we have a Belgian IT guy, or one of of two girls.

SIngemeister wrote:Choose the ones who wash up after themselves.

They're quite difficult to identify, though. Anyone can say they wash up after themselves...

Also, there's an annoyingly large overlap between "washes up after themselves" and "is annoying about making you wash up after yourself"...

Ath

I would consider the male one. Didn't one of the female roomies turn out to be a singing menace? Avoid that again.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:44 am

I'm much better. The summer was kind of lost to The Doom That Came with the Pill, the heatwave is over and the lake water is cold once again. After the weeks lost to insane mood swings from "everything is lost" back to "let's bake", I feel like a relatively normal human again. My hair looks great, though there is hair loss and that feels so much like a minor problem compared to what has been.
The summer brought insects of all kinds: silverfish, earwigs, mosquitoes, flies and fleas. Did I mention the FLEAS? Fleas in Sweden. Strangely, no ticks.

Oh, and I opened up the laptop to clean out the fan, went like a charm and laptop is good as new. Yay. Yay.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Vivia wrote:I'm much better.

Glad to hear that, Viv.

I've been using Windows 8 for just under a week now. It's not that bad, actually, although there are one or two irritating features:
- Lack of a start button, and, even moreso, a program list on the desktop screen. Unless there's a desktop shortcut (which clutters the desktop) I haven't worked out how to access a program without going to the metro screen, which involves lots of pointless scrolling and is a really annoying way to look for programs. If I could lose the metro screen altogether I would.
- Some of the controls for some fairly-but-not-entirely-basic functions (like attaching a second/external monitor) are scattered around the place in non-obvious locations.
- Insistence on referring to programs (or, to be fair, applications) as "apps".
- It took a mind-bogglingly long time to set up.
- The colour scheme is a bit lame.

That's... actually pretty much it, at least so far. The major issue (lack of a start button) could be fairly easily solved by adding Classic Shell, but I'm trying to avoid doing that because (firstly) I figure I should probably learn to use Win8 as it is, rather than as if it were XP, (secondly) I'm trying to minimise constantly-running applications and corresponding memory clutter, and (thirdly) I shouldn't have to.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Xisor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Vivia wrote:Strangely, no ticks.

That's what the clocks are for!

Also, welcome back into feeling relatively normal. 8-) Don't be too normal though. Pfft!

---

I have started settling in to a new house. It's nice. Just me and one other chappie, a good bit closer to work and closer to work colleagues who, after this month, I'll probably not be seeing much of whilst actually in-work (as we'll be back on weird shifts by then). So that better proximity means: exposure outside of work! Potential nearby friends and whatnot! Neat. :)
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:50 am

Athelassan wrote:I've been using Windows 8 for just under a week now. It's not that bad, actually, although there are one or two irritating features:
- Lack of a start button, and, even moreso, a program list on the desktop screen. Unless there's a desktop shortcut (which clutters the desktop) I haven't worked out how to access a program without going to the metro screen, which involves lots of pointless scrolling and is a really annoying way to look for programs. If I could lose the metro screen altogether I would.

Press the Window button and start typing the name of whatever it is you want to run. It's still pointlessly slow, but better than hunting through tiles.

Windows 8.1 is rumored to polish up a few things. Here's hoping.

====

I am, frankly, pissed off almost all the time. The news out of Ferguson, the Middle East and D.C. does not mix well with daily sleep deprivation (got three hours last night) and a diet that looks set to kill me at 55. And my writing output remains abysmal.

On the bright side young Ben has turned one and is discovering new things every day. Endlessly fascinating little creatures, children.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:58 am

From my experience 8.1 did nothing of notice, I upgraded my mum's computer because it was so troublesome with Google Chrome, it kept clashing with the program. After the update to 8.1 my memories of Vista keep coming back to haunt me: the constant crashing of every program due to compatibility issues, VLC takes ages to respond, well, every program takes ages, the Big Fish, Steam and Origin game managers are a drag, Spotify goes nuts over nothing and stops responding, Chrome is still a pain and resets now and then, it takes several minutes to set up the Google accounts, if it does. Not to mention FB and its application. The Sims 2 lagged so hardcore it took me back to Windows 95, now those are memories. All they have in common are slow start ups and "mysterious" crashes. In all just as Ath mentions there are apps running constantly and something keeps the CPU working very hard, the fans work on full and this is for a six month old laptop that my mum uses for casual online games for some hours a day. It's been so bad I tell my mum to just run one program at a time and keep from using Spotify and FB at the same time. Vista had similar problems and I couldn't use Firefox alongside Windows media player.
I tried to troubleshoot what keeps the CPU running so hard but from my mental wrestling with The Sims 2 issue I'm not really keen on digging, it freaking triggered my ADHD, holy macaroni.
See you in hell, Windows 8. :twisted:

On real life news: I'm very close to getting an intership/job at a hip café in the south of town. It'll be awesome.
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 am

I think a lot of the problems are, to be completely fair to Microsoft, caused by Firefox and Chrome themselves; they're notorious memory hogs even when they're not doing much. Much the same goes for many video players, which are bloated with a load of features that just slow stuff down for no reason. I don't know how VLC stands these days but after running into a lot of problems on my old machine with many media players I now use Media Player Classic and it's great. I'm also running an old version of iTunes, since v11 is unnecessarily huge and, for me, mostly pointless.

Background applications are annoying, but to be honest it was that way in XP as well and - shock horror - I'm actually finding that slightly easier to manage in 8 since it makes it easier to identify junk processes. It's hard to kill some programs properly (Steam, Skype, et al) if you're not paying attention but then MSN Messenger used to do that in 2001, so that's not new. And I actually find the Action Centre quite handy for flagging up things that will cause slowdown, like extraneous startup programs and the like.

A lot of the issues too are to do with internet connection rather than the computer itself - and while that's annoying, since it would often be quicker to load from DVD/USB than to download a program, it wouldn't gum up the rest of your internet for several hours, and if you're on a periodic download limit you're screwed, again that's as much the fault of the software as Windows itself.

In general, computers just get gummed up with rubbish over the course of normal use. I think there's relatively little in that sense that can't be fixed with a reformat, but users are reluctant to do that since it's scary and it's hassle. Obviously, you can screw it up if you go poking around in the BIOS without knowing what you're doing, or if you run into hardware issues (usually, PSU failure/battery expiry, heat damage, damaged hard drives) but normal/responsible use shouldn't cause too many unfixable problems (although the battery will expire eventually no matter what you do - but there are steps you can take to prolong its lifespan).

Plus applications, internet browsing and so forth get more demanding almost continually, so over the course of a few years, there's a kind of hardware inflation and things will inevitably slow down just because the tasks themselves have got harder. Modern stuff is also, in particular, a lot more graphics-intensive than it used to be, which is why I put my hand in my pocket for a dedicated graphics card, even if it's not a particularly special one.

As far as I can tell the principal change made by 8.1 was the addition of a desktop tile on the metro screen and a link to the metro screen on the desktop, to make it easier to switch. There was hopefully other stuff going on as well, but since I only used 8.0 for as long as it took me to download and install 8.1 (longer than I'd have liked, admittedly) I'm not really well-placed to judge.

I hung onto XP for a long time, because I hated Vista, and then by the time I could afford to upgrade to 7, 8 was on the horizon, then 8 was rubbish for ages, and so on - and XP did everything I wanted it to (and was compatible with all the third-party programs and games I wanted to use, which Vista/7 weren't). I always found Vista unacceptably bloated and 7 not much better (albeit infinitely better in terms of actually working) but to be honest XP itself was hardly slimline. 8 feels lighter, although that might be an illusion: metro screen aside, it seems to have dispensed with a lot of the annoying (visible) bells and whistles. I guess I'll wait and see.

So far I'm finding it impressively fast. I click on something and it just... does it. It's like living in the future; you never realise how slow your computer is until you use one that operates at full speed. But it's early days - still only a week old - and that's probably at least as much down to hardware as it is the OS.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Vivia » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Warning, off-topic:

That's odd because I found 8.1 to be insanely slow, I'm not exaggerating when I say I went to make a cup of tea while waiting for the apps to set up, this happened the most with The Sims 2. It was kind of handy in a way.

In a way it is faster though in my opinion it relies too much on a certain amount of experience from the user, my mum isn't one of them. If you search for the things you know of it gives you everything but that's not intuitive use, users like my mum work better with visual help, and well, typing in everything I'm looking for triggers my ADHD, as one of my biggest problems is processing information, it could be liken to running Chrome in Windows 5, it's simple too much and it overloads the system, in other words my brain. From what my mum describes she experiences a similar problem with 8.1 and it becomes a chore no matter if it's fast or with bigger icons.
Both of us have a lot of trouble with the colours scheme glaring into our brains. I wish a tinfoil hat was a real thing, maybe anti-death ray goggles. My rating: Ugly.

The biggest problem with Vista wasn't the lack of compatibility with programs, even if that was one of the major problems, it was the UAC. The first months it was fine on Windows Vista Business until it started having problems with AVG and Firefox as it kept asking for admin rights. Then it started to ask for admin rights for far too many actions and I kept fixing as stated in the messages but unfortunately it kept locking files and programs so I was unable to do anything, PDF files were mysteriously locked for example. For the longest time I thought it was my fault but when I went to look online the UAC was causing major problems on the system and I was extremely fortunate I didn't get the worse of things such as the blue-screen of death on a brand new laptop. This was on a regular computer, when I bought my tiny laptop I was introduced to 7 and I became rather emotional with a "it wasn't me, it was Vista" and the OS was more XP and less UAC possessed. :)
When I removed nearly every excess program including AVG and went with Microsoft security, Vista was reborn though it was three years too late. Thank you for nothing, Vista.
This takes me back: http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/why-vista-sucks/
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:52 pm

"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby The Hillock » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 pm

SIngemeister wrote:

Goodonyer.

Even stroppier. Failed.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Have joined the jamesnasium. Disaster. Second trip tonight!

I'll avoid an early death or die trying!
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Today I struggled to get out of bed at all, despite going to bed at an entirely reasonable time and eating properly yesterday. That's not terribly good.

Getting very frustrated with the house situation. I have now done 36 viewings - including the people who said they'd turn up and didn't - and still nobody to take it. Well that's not entirely true, since I did at one point have four but by the time the one I'd said could have it had changed her mind - and more importantly let me know she'd changed her mind - all the others had found somewhere else. I need somebody in by the weekend really. Stressed.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby SIngemeister » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:01 pm

The Hillock wrote:
SIngemeister wrote:

Goodonyer.

Even stroppier. Failed.

Oh. Well.

Badonyer, I guess.
SIngemeister

Postby Insomniac » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 pm

Today was a good day - to quote Ice Cube. Worked, managed to get free pizza and have just under forty days of sobriety and zero cigs. Jamming out to Sunn O))) while the house is empty and enjoying things.

Feels like it's a Goodfellas night again, which is always a good time.
Insomniac

Postby Vivia » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:52 am

Athelassan wrote:Today I struggled to get out of bed at all, despite going to bed at an entirely reasonable time and eating properly yesterday. That's not terribly good.

Getting very frustrated with the house situation. I have now done 36 viewings - including the people who said they'd turn up and didn't - and still nobody to take it. Well that's not entirely true, since I did at one point have four but by the time the one I'd said could have it had changed her mind - and more importantly let me know she'd changed her mind - all the others had found somewhere else. I need somebody in by the weekend really. Stressed.

Ath

I had no idea it could be so work to find a roomie. I hope you have solved the problem by now.

Stuff:

I'm not sure which one is the lesser problem, the moth infestation or the medication problem. The medication thingit is becoming a regular annoyance but moths are gross and terrible. The exterminators will come on Wednesday to gas the hall and two wardrobes, the cat can't be in the flat for 24 hours and I can't be inside for 4 hours. Good thing I have work.
I'm seriously considering this dog basket:

Oddly, the wool garments and the actual wool skeins haven't been attacked, which is great because it means I have done everything right when I keep things clean and stored in boxes. And I discovered the vermin in time as no garments have holes, my vintage velvet coat and jackets are all right. The exterminator gave me the advice to launder everything in 60 degrees or keep clothes in the freezer for three days, freezer is full by now. The Yarn Harlot gives the advice of putting things in garbage bags and beat them good outside. Some of the clothes went straight to the community garbage containers, one went into a neighbourhood garbage can. I hardly knew ye.
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Irritated made a simple comment on facebook about that in all honesty I don't blame Cameron being unashamed for having a good background, the post was about upbrining and background, not a word about politics and it became about politics, *sigh*
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 am

Crushed by embarrassment. Trivial, inconsequential missteps and yet horrendous pressure of shame. Boo.

Worse, it sparks a wildfire of self doubt. Hopefully it's the good, pragmatic and useful doubt, not the doubt-everything-unnecessarily kind.

But I doubt that'll be the case.

Spoiler: I wrote a status update on someone else's link, not my own timeline. Incompetent buffoon.

Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic