How are we?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: How are we?

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:48 am

Squiggle wrote:So, how are we?

I got so bored of the mundane that I've taken a career break and moved to the countryside... which is proving to be absolutely amazing... i cannot tell you how freeing not living in a city of 8 million people is proving to me.

Hoping to devote some time to writing again for the first time in about 3 years!

Try living endlessly in the arse-end of nowhere. I grew up in the Southern countryside, moved to the Midlands countryside and am now stuck in the Northern countryside, with no financial hope of ever getting home.

A billion years* of that and you'll soon be craving Actual People. Ho, yes.

In other words, good for you, mate. It's a luxury indeed to be able to follow your dreams in a manner like that!

* This may be a slight exaggeration. Slight.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Rob P » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:05 pm

I joined the Labour party after the last GE then quit around Jan 2016 and re-joined around Brexit time.

I won't go into all the ins and outs because that's debaters' lounge territory.

However, I've started going to local Labour Party meetings and it's somewhere between fun, interesting and dull.

I went to one last night with a guest speaker and it was really eye-opening. it's reignited my desire to get involved in local politis, but let's see how long that lasts!
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Rob P wrote:I joined the Labour party after the last GE then quit around Jan 2016 and re-joined around Brexit time.

I won't go into all the ins and outs because that's debaters' lounge territory.

However, I've started going to local Labour Party meetings and it's somewhere between fun, interesting and dull.

I went to one last night with a guest speaker and it was really eye-opening. it's reignited my desire to get involved in local politis, but let's see how long that lasts!

I've been unable to get along to LD meetings since before the summer due to work, but I echo that sentiment. The 'dull' part is to be expected, but it's heartening to see people keen to minimise it.

---

Yesterday we I was chatting about how depressing a weak it could have been, on an external level, and how trying to avoid despair is a huge part of it. But there were two things that overwhelmingly brought a degree of uplift to me.

One, the debates people had about this sort of thing (have your sound on, worth it).

The other, this news story, including the somewhat hyperbole tweet I saw about it:
Nick Breckon‏ @nickbreckon: "When you're playing Civ and you develop spaceflight on the turn before a spearman razes your capital"

Since reading Rob Sanders' words on the matter, they've been almost constantly on or near the forefront of my mind. It's as close to a motto as I've got, at the moment:

"Responsibility found expression in resolution."
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Squiggle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:
Squiggle wrote:So, how are we?

I got so bored of the mundane that I've taken a career break and moved to the countryside... which is proving to be absolutely amazing... i cannot tell you how freeing not living in a city of 8 million people is proving to me.

Hoping to devote some time to writing again for the first time in about 3 years!

Try living endlessly in the arse-end of nowhere. I grew up in the Southern countryside, moved to the Midlands countryside and am now stuck in the Northern countryside, with no financial hope of ever getting home.

A billion years* of that and you'll soon be craving Actual People. Ho, yes.

In other words, good for you, mate. It's a luxury indeed to be able to follow your dreams in a manner like that!

* This may be a slight exaggeration. Slight.

it may not be forever. i have kept a route back to civilisation open, should it be required!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:57 pm

I do like the sound of getting away from it all.

I mean sure, I've sort of gotten away from it all by spending an unholy amount of time in Bournemouth, but still.

The weather has been frightful, and the very restful period over Christmas was quite excellent, but I've been quite aware of how exhausting I'm finding things without proper periods for sensible breaks/relaxing/recuperation. I'm probably in far better fettle than I've been for a long while, of course, but now that I've a hint of a degree of self awareness, it's proving difficult not to fixate on it.

Difficult, but not impossible.

---

What I really need to do is get back to swimming. I very much miss it. And this belly could do with going away.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Xisor wrote:And this belly could do with going away.

You're not wrong there :lol: Though i'm not one to talk my own podge is steadily growing, and something I should quickly nip in the bud sooner rather than later.
Major Rawne

Postby Athelassan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:12 pm

I've been making a point of trying to lose some weight so far this year. It's been going reasonably well and the visible belly is reducing, though I reckon I still need to get rid of about a stone. According to the BMI I am still overweight, although since it puts the lower end of the healthy range at about nine and a half stone for my height (to reach which I think I would need to eliminate not only all my fat but nearly all my muscle and possibly a couple of the less important bones) I am a little sceptical about its accuracy.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Xisor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:50 pm

Athelassan wrote:I've been making a point of trying to lose some weight so far this year. It's been going reasonably well and the visible belly is reducing, though I reckon I still need to get rid of about a stone. According to the BMI I am still overweight, although since it puts the lower end of the healthy range at about nine and a half stone for my height (to reach which I think I would need to eliminate not only all my fat but nearly all my muscle and possibly a couple of the less important bones) I am a little sceptical about its accuracy.

Ath

Blimey, I need to lose 4.7 stone!

Well, the game is afoot. 2017 shall see me tend towards the healthier bodyweight!

Major Rawne wrote:
Xisor wrote:And this belly could do with going away.

You're not wrong there :lol:

Cheeky scamp! :o
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Therion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Was browsing my old IM log from 2005. Talks with my scumbag middle class "friend", currently alt-right. I realised that starvation worshippers are a literal thing.
They actually periodically starve themselves as an offering, also they don't mind being starved if they aren't "successful".

A portion deleted. Fantasising about dehumanising real world people and violence against them is not okay. Interacting with daft ideas won't help.
- Xisor
My DeviantArt Gallery

The pretensions of respect for work that the intellectual property fanatics hold evaporate as soon as the work in question is performed by a citizen of a "developing country".

World without justice and equality, without profound respect for humans and their life, their work, world based on power, be it economic power, political power or military power is the ultimate degradation of human being as an individual. Such a world is the ultimate heresy.
Therion

Postby Xisor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

Picking at old scabs rarely helps, Therion.

---

Going swimming again. It's... surprisingly nice.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic