Skip to content

Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby Therion » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:02 am

My DeviantArt Gallery

The pretensions of respect for work that the intellectual property fanatics hold evaporate as soon as the work in question is performed by a citizen of a "developing country".

World without justice and equality, without profound respect for humans and their life, their work, world based on power, be it economic power, political power or military power is the ultimate degradation of human being as an individual. Such a world is the ultimate heresy.
Therion

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 am

Was introduced to Adore, by Savages this morning and it's crawled into my headspace and won't leave.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Putting on some Bowie, as is right and proper.

R.I.P.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:49 am

Yep - a real black armband day for me. When I heard it on the radio -though it wasn't coming through on a wave of phase- I told the DJ -Chris Moyles, to name names- to eff off in shock. Got the Blackstar album on in my van, now.

'His gift is you and me, boy.'
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:43 am

He was definitely preparing for this for some time, I'll say:

Look up here, I'm in heaven...

Something happened on the day he died
Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried
(I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar)
Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:26 am

Something that might not be particularly aimed toward folks across the pond, but I finally dug into, and very much enjoyed, the hot hit new musical Hamilton--just the audio for it, but following along in the liner notes.

Alexander Hamilton, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States--albeit somewhat forgotten, by comparison to the others, though one of the key federalists in establishing the central government in it: brilliant polymath, arrogant ass, and $10-bill face. For now. If Harriet Tubman doesn't replace him soon, when it should be the $20 Andrew Jackson (just plain arrogant ass, for those of you not caught up on US history--to say nothing of violent and genocidal) who ought to be replaced.

Anyways, excellent musical, though it does harp on the American Dream/Revolution at quite length. King George is delightfully snotty and abusive. Aaron Burr is an excellently realized in his role as the vacillating and uncommitted but empathetic antagonist. I also applaud Lin Manuel Miranda for throwing out the white male narrative, as historically accurate as that may have been, and casting multi-ethnic and gendered players in the roles, so that the cabinet rap battles feel damned genuine, with the slave-owning Thomas Jefferson being played by a black man, etc.
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 am

Not my usual: The Carolina Chocolate Drops with Leaving Eden. Excellent, toe-tapping blues/ American folk. Saw them on Jules Holland over on New Year's eve, and had to follow them up. Glad I did.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Liverpool Empire last night: an excellent performance, with a very enthusiastic audience. How the Hell Richard O'Brien ever got it made, I don't know, but I'm glad that he did. All together, now: 'In. Just. Severn. Days. I can make you a maa-aa-aa-aaan!'
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Must be the season for musicals because i've also been listening to a musical.

I'm a big fan of musicals anyway, but I'm gripped at the moment by the original London cast recording of Les Miserables. It really makes the recent film sound absolute crap (save Sacha Baron Cohen's Thenardier).

A few favourites are:

Work song / Look down
Who am I?
I dreamed a dream / Confrontation
Master of the house/ Beggars at the feast
Red and black
Do you hear the people sing?
Turning
Finale
Rob P

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:01 am

I read the book last year -and it was thoroughly enjoyed- as a prelude to watching the film - I take it the latter's not worth bothering with?
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:11 pm

I'd still give it a go. I think it's different enough from the book - though it's nearly as long!

Javert (Crowe) really ruins it. His singing is just to his own tune. Everyone else is just not quite as good as the original recording save Cohen and Anne Hathaway. I saw the film the first time before listening to the original recording and i'm not saying the film is bad at all, just that the original recording has a lot more oomph.

It's visually stunning. I wouldn't have had Eddie Redmayne as Marius personally as he looks a bit feeble in everything. Other than that, and my concerns about Russell Crowe's singing, I think the cast fit the roles really well.
Rob P

Postby Therion » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Bought this recently:

Endstille - Kapitulation 2013

The last track kinda feels like the last few years of my life:
https://endstille.bandcamp.com/track/endstille-abschied
My DeviantArt Gallery

The pretensions of respect for work that the intellectual property fanatics hold evaporate as soon as the work in question is performed by a citizen of a "developing country".

World without justice and equality, without profound respect for humans and their life, their work, world based on power, be it economic power, political power or military power is the ultimate degradation of human being as an individual. Such a world is the ultimate heresy.
Therion

Postby Rob P » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Absolutely loving Danger Days by My Chemical Romance. Really enjoy albums with a narrative.
Rob P

Postby Rob P » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Rob P

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:47 pm

As in OMG that's terrible? :P
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Unfriended!
Rob P

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 am

Not quite sure on the new Front Bottoms album, a few songs still hit me in the emotion zone but not as consistently and much less rocking out.

Fortunately very much over doing Diet Cig's "I swear I'm good at this" which has lots of rocking out.
schaferwhat‽

Previous

Return to Insanely Off Topic