Skip to content

The Film Review Corner

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: The Film Review Corner

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:52 am

Alien Covenant:

Yes, questions.

This is probably the Alien film everyone was expecting Prometheus to be. It's certainly more of a crowd-pleaser than its predecessor, and the dialogue and plotting is much better. In fact, I'll go with the consensus and agree that it's the best one since Aliens.

The look is gorgeous (well of course it is, it's Ridley Scott), the Engineer's city being especially eerie and the aliens themselves especially creepy. Effects are, as you might expect, pretty much top-notch. The acting is up to the job, too, though it never recalls the naturalistic style of Alien. The story is intriguing, if more about the androids David and Walter, and their exploration of creation, than the actual xenomorphs (it's here where the real horror lies, as David in particular is disappointed with his creators (and, by extension, THEIR creators), and proceeds to show it in the nastiest possible manner (genocide seems to feature)).

One of the best parts of the ultimately disappointing Prometheus was the questions it raised, and the hints it gave as to where a possible sequel might go. These questions are kind of sidestepped, making Covenant a somewhat shallower experience than I was hoping for. But the film still managed to surprise toward the end, with the revelation of the 'standard' alien's genesis - and this is where questions particular to Covenant arise: if there is another film, will it wrap things up neatly and dovetail into Alien itself? How will it do this given the ending of Covenant? And, given the revelations I can only hint at without spoiling things, how will it explain the Queen -Bitch- of Aliens?

In short, if you've any love for this franchise, Alien Covenant is a must watch. It's a damned entertaining watch even if you can take or leave the Weyland Yutani Corporation's universe. Though it doesn't manage the giddy heights of either Alien or Aliens, it leaves things wide open for a -final?- Alien film that just might.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am

Intriguing, Chun. That sounds quite compelling!

----

I took advice at short notice and leapt on a 6-hour roundtrip to go catch "The Limehouse Golem". Hell of a film. Great cast doing some very enjoyable acting. Lovely plot and lots of neat yet odd little things.

Part of me did expect Jago & Litefoot to pop in at somepoint, but it felt like a really neat use of Victorian-y tropes to tell a damn interesting story.

I found it immensely enjoyable.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Several movies during a week-long business trip:

IT: Excellent acting all around, especially on the part of Pennywise, but the kids are fantastic as well. (Sophia Lillis practically steals the damn movie.) A few unfortunate decisions were made on what to cut from the book to make a reasonable viewing time, resulting in the kids and It occasionally looking like idiots, but it's probably the best film adapation of the youth half of the novel possible.

Alien: Covenant: I had to watch this muted with subtitles in an airplane and I still liked it better than Prometheus, although not as much as Chun I think. Some stupid, but understandable decisions by the cast and I think the plot held together. I wouldn't mind seeing a third movie to wrap up the arc of these two films, although after that any further Alien movies should really look to make the damn xenomorphs interesting again.

Ghost in the Shell: Sorry Scarlett but I gave up after like 10 minutes. I may go watch the original anime movie again.

The Mummy: I had to watch this muted WITHOUT subtitles and I still preferred it to GitS. (I had been spoiled on the bones of the plot.) Enjoyed Sofia Boutella and Jake Johnson.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby David Earle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Some insider info (spoilers) on Alien: Covenant and where it might go next: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/alie ... d-s-antics Sounds interesting!
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 am

Blade Runner 2049

This isn't SciFi, this is out-and-out Science Fiction.

An almost ponderous script allows the film to blossom, exploring ideas and characters satisfyingly, expanding on its predecessor with due reverence but with an obvious desire to make its own mark on cinema. And make its own mark I think this film will (sorry, I got a little Yoda-esque there), quite possibly becoming as much of an influence as Ridley Scott's classic was. The visuals are nothing short of stunning in places, stylish -sometimes, perhaps, a little too stylish: one or two sets gave off an obvious air of being arranged purely to delight the eye and having little natural or practical truth to them- and grimly beautiful. The acting from all the leads is graceful and affecting. The storyline is fascinating and often touching. The action is brutal. The music, while often hinting at Vangelis, never quite gets there, but is suitably loud and industrial. Sound effects, too, suit the film admirably, verging from the eerie to the pulse-pounding. The special effects are perfect (they make an excellent job of bringing back a key character from Blade Runner).

All in all,I have no qualms in saying that Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best SF films I've ever seen.
Chun the Unavoidable

Previous

Return to Insanely Off Topic