Drabble Challenge: Loss

An area for literary challenges and ongoing competitive events of all kinds.

Drabble Challenge: Loss

Postby Stuart000X » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:05 am

The Drabble Challenge themeword is Loss. Extra browning points for those who come up with something within the next 24 hours!

Loss - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Loss

Edit: Forgot to mention, the drabble has to be a 100 words long.
Last edited by Stuart000X on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart000X

Re: Drabble Challenge: Loss

Postby Ghurlag » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:09 pm

I walk along the mountain ridge. To either side of me, clear sky stretches down to caress the rough stubble of rocky debris on the two faces of the summit.

With one misstep, I would commit myself to a tumbling, tearing fall, my broken body upending and twisting and writhing in the air, until some stable rock arrested me.

I walk along the ridge, one foot in front of the other, knees chattering in the cold wind from the east.

Behind me I hear the tinkle as the gold coin slips from my purse and begins its long descent.

"Shit!"

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Days like this rarely happen in a soldiers life. At least what life a solider can have waging war in one of bloody never-ending conflicts being fought by those loyal to a distant Emperor.

Some stood in silence their heads bowed in mutual respect, others laughed telling jokes of better times. A solemn few wept for the comrades they had lost, not only in this latest conflict but all those that had come before hand, and those still to come.

“Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust. May the dead now find peace with the Emperor.”

These are rare days indeed.
Major Rawne

Postby Stuart000X » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 pm

He held the helmet in his hands, turning it over as he stared at it.

It was scorched black, its front section missing beyond recognition. But behind round the back of it the burn marks were not as permeating, the original green colour showing where the blackness flaked off.

Looking at the ceiling of his dormitory chambers, Vulkan cried ‘Isstvan… give me my back my legion,’
Stuart000X

Postby The Viceroy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 am

Sergeant Rakel stood on the ridge, bellowing a challenge at the foul xenos before him while striking a dramatic pose that was normally found on artworks commemorating the glorious victories of the Imperium of Mankind. As the new leader of Squad Gladius, it was his honor to lead his brothers into victory against these disgusting creatures.

SPANG!

Shas’la V’Kryr looked away from the sights of his rail rifle, and smirked at his spotter. “I told you I could nail that twit. Now pay up.”
The Viceroy

Return to Board index

Return to Competitions and Challenges