The 12-Hour Group Story

An area for literary challenges and ongoing competitive events of all kinds.

The 12-Hour Group Story

Postby Ghurlag » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey!

Right, I've had far too much Coca-Cola today. But It's birthed an idea.

The problem with a lot of GSes is that at the initial posting/attention gathering stage, everyone's really pumped and ready to do their part. But then we waste, like days sorting out the arch of the story, and people drift away, go on holiday, break their legs, etc. So people are inevitably stuck around waiting for each other to come back and do stuff.

So my challenge to you is: let's break that pattern. We're going to sit down, right now, and write an entire GS together. We're going to break the pattern of waiting for people to get back to us over days by making sure none of us go away apart from to quit and go to bed (or maybe, like, to get food.) . If people have to tie themselves to their chairs, or their desk, or other people's desks, DO SO!

There are a few stages to the life of a GS.

1. Guy comes up with Idea

I've got one. It's at the bottom of this post. It's quite loose, we can adjust bits on the go if we need to. Done. 0 Seconds.

2. Gathering writers

Typically people wait a couple of days for this. I'm going to wait until I get home after writing this post, or until someone responds, whichever's shorter. People should jump in as soon as they decide they want to take part. Every second counts! If you're sitting on the sidelines thinking 'Hmm, interesting', have a passing comment, or anything at all, just leap the heck in. If you know anyone who might be interested in taking part, Tell them immediately! Use every means at your disposal.

3. Planning background

This can't be skipped. It can be sped up. The VERY FIRST THING I want people to do is to take my initial idea below and just bloody run with it. Throw things out there, mash ideas together, move ever forward. At a certain point I will draw a line under the background and we'll just write

4. Writing Order

We're not having one. As soon as the background is solidified, I will sketch out the end scene and everyone will start writing their own character's story that takes them there. As soon as they finish writing a post, they post it. You get to submit as many posts as you want to write, but no post should end in a way that relies on follow-up posts (Don't trust Future You to follow it up, essentially). So make them self-contained, if at all possible. If someone posts early, that's fine, and other writers can integrate stuff they see there into their own work. If people want to co-ordinate their stories amongst themselves, that's grand too. The way the end result will appear is as a sort of bundle of tales within the same setting, with the same overall ending.

5. Writing

JUST DO IT! As soon as the pistol fires, open your editor of choice and type until your fingers bleed. Don't stop until your post is done, then submit it. If you have it in you, write another one. You're allowed to invent new characters, rescue old ones, even take up other people's (with their permission, of course).

If you post asking if you can join, I will hunt you down and kill you. I'm making this clear right now: If you have no reason to leave your machine over the next 12 hours aside from normal bodily functions, then you can join. Nay, more than that, you should join.

If everyone else has written and left, but you spot this topic and have time to submit a post, DO IT! Posts must be entered before 12 hours after the submission of this topic (So, roughly 7:00 tomorrow morning, when most of us will be dead).

That is all. Following is the initial idea/scenario for us to write in. RUN WITH IT NOW! RUN!!

Also, ask questions and I will answer.

The hive-city of Dor Raeda, a famed interstellar port, is doomed. A warp fluctuation has divulged an asteroid belt straight into the planet's orbital path. The huge impacts will shortly begin landing on the far side of the planet, dull tremors now, but set to grow ever closer and fiercer. Storms of ash and heat will rise and batter the city, huge waves will rock out of the Sea of Taggorth. As dawn rises tomorrow morning, the first missiles will strike the city itself, and its billions of inhabitants will die. The news has just leaked, and panic is spreading, sure to turn to violence.

Most ships have fled whilst they can. The only hope for the inhabitants of Dor Raeda is The Esteem, a huge cargo vessel docked at the City's spaceport. As the panic spreads, everyone's mind is turning to the same thing. They must get on that ship. If they don't, they won't survive. Captain Garamin, fearing lunatic attacks, has announced he will accept anyone on board, so long as they surrender their weapons and craft on approach. Now all the citizens, gangers, officials and stranded travellers need to do is get to the spaceport and get up there.

Your job is to design a character (remember, Dor Raeda is a fairly loose port, and many interstellar types show up), and write their (short) story of attempted escape.

And I do mean 'attempted', because, regretfully, the Esteem is not going to make it out of orbit.

And yes, this could be put in the Group Story area, but I thought it seemed more of a Challenge. :-)

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Re: The 12-Hour Group Story

Postby Pipitán » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Hmmn. Interesting.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Ghurlag » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:56 pm

*Grabs a startled Pip*

Right, you're in.

The initial idea's a bit rough, so give me any comments you care to think of on it. As I tried to make clear, a variety of characters are welcome here, so long as they're not totally scenario - bending. So we have the ordinary citizens trying to escape, cults and gangs trying to beat each other to the chase, important figures from both on and off planet who are trying to beg, bargin or buy their passage, hidden xenos, and even Imperial military.

There is, of course, nothing to say that the situation doesn't spark more conflicts (indeed, I would hope it did). So street-to-street violence, toppling chains of command and other tragedies are all welcome. You can, of course, write about a group or faction if you prefer that to a single character.

Whilst the suggestion is that your character try to escape, they don't need to be doing that, I'm just curious as to what the hell else they're doing.

The setting poses some dangers and atmosphere of its own, besides looters, violence and bedlam. As the planetary pounding continues, earthquakes, power failures and more will become common. Lower levels of the hive will flood. Feel free to focus on any of these aspects.

As I mentioned above, The Esteem won't make it out of orbit. I'm open to suggestions as to why.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Stuart000X » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm in and have made a first edition to my tale, where do I post it?
Stuart000X

Postby Stuart000X » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm just going to go ahead, and post my first bit here and now.

###

The world was doomed. It was always doomed, but the scythe of death was in the hands of another.

She stood staring up at the sky, the dark blanket of night with its pattern of star constellations now replaced with a red, nebulous cloud. Beyond the veil of the blood smog as the masses were calling it, orbs of fire burned brightly, with new ones appearing with each passing hour. The asteroids progresses were lit, their flame trails made known by the sun’s baleful glare at them.

This world’s extinction was at hand, she and its biomass soon to be extinguished in global fire.

She turns from her view of the approaching apocalypse, and standing before her was her cadre of protectors. They towered over her, she barely reaching their midriff even as they hunched. A trio of talons flash ominously from each of their four arms, but they would never raise their claws against her, for they and she was kin, both born from the same brood.

In one corner of the room, the recent inductees to the cult stood waiting for her command. At the front was Thriou, the perverse ex-guardsman being her most able of non-genestealer warriors.

~They mean to leave this world, ~ the girl said into assembled brood’s minds. ~The exodus is continuing as we speak, more of these humans seeking refuge from their deaths, ~

~Our efforts on this world have been fruitless, but the hive still hungers, ~ Pointing, the girl held her finger up at the ceiling. ~We will board that vessel, and begin anew, ~

Without further comment, the genestealers fanned out of the room, spreading to areas of hiding in readiness for their leader’s leave.

Walking out of the room, the group of human followers rechecked their weapons before concealing them back into their robes.

At the head of the group, the girl reached into her belt pouch and produced a necklace, it bearing the Imperial Aquila. Placing it over her head, a smirk formed on Persephone’s face.
Stuart000X

Postby Ghurlag » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Apologies, Stuart, I didn't see you there. I was hoping for planning some stuff together, but good initiative, and nice post.

It seems a little empty around here, though. Maybe t'was overambitious.

Ghurlag

Postby Stuart000X » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Ghurlag wrote:It seems a little empty around here, though. Maybe t'was overambitious.

It could still work, I just think it could have been done at another time. Perhaps you could start another one tomorrow at around midday, and finish it at midnight, and that should give people adequte time to get involve, think the timing of this one may be a factor against people joining in.
Stuart000X

Postby Pipitán » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:30 am

As I say, I'm interested, but I don't really have any time tomorrow, and my 40k writing muse has been pretty much comatose recently.

It's a very good idea though. The forum does seem to be a bit quiet at the moment, fanfic-wise, but that might be due to the submissions window.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:30 am

I was really tempted by it Ghurlag, but I had to be up at 5/6am with the kids so there was just no way I could do it in time. Perhaps try again but have an announcement thread where people can just agree to a time frame and date, then post up the background etc and shout GO!!!
Raziel4707

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 am

as long as its minimal effort im in

we post here? on in the other place?
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Return to Board index

Return to Competitions and Challenges