The Halloween Bolthole Story challenge: Discussion Thread

An area for literary challenges and ongoing competitive events of all kinds.

The Halloween Bolthole Story challenge: Discussion Thread

Postby LordLucan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Hello my fellow forumites.

As Halloween is approaching, I thought we could celebrate it with something a bit different. Some of you might be familiar with the ‘follow on story’ idea, which I have tried to float on the forum for several years now. Basically, it is a story which is composed of multiple sections provided by forumites like yourselves; each entry into the challenge would form part of a continuum, an element of the continuing story. Now in the past, my efforts have not been successful, as I feel the story brief was too broad. This time, the story will be more focussed.

My challenge is this; from today until October 31st, we will, as a forum, write a horror story. It will be composed of 200 word sections, provided by contributing forumites (you guys, in other words :P ). The rules are simple and few:
1) Each entry can only be 200 words long, give or take 50 words. However, bear in mind that segments of exactly 200 words will be favoured over others in the event of simultaneous submission.
2) In the event of a simultaneous submission (that is, if two forumites post an update at the same time, from the same continuation point), I will pick one to go forwards with.
3) There is no limit to the amount of entries you make, but they cannot be concurrent. You can’t post an update, then instantly post another following on from your previous entry.
4) It seems obvious, but make sure your story segments follow on from the previous segments, and try to end your segment in a way that allows for continuation. I DO NOT want to see people pre-emptively concluding the story on day three or something silly.

This thread is for discussion of the story. I will be posting a story thread (and the opening segment) shortly after this thread goes up.

Anyway, I look forwards to hearing your thoughts on this, and even more, reading your segments.

Any questions?

EDIT: Here's the story thread incidentally;

http://www.thebolthole.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2879
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Re: The Halloween Bolthole Story challenge: Discussion Threa

Postby LordLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:27 pm

You are all a great disappointment to me...

Halloween is here, and once again, the majority of you didn't bother adding anything to the follow on story. :(

*shakes head sadly*

I'm giving up on doing participation stuff here; I just feel like I'm wasting my time trying to enthuse folks.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Return to Board index

Return to Competitions and Challenges