Warhammer: Recommended Stories

An area for literary challenges and ongoing competitive events of all kinds.

Postby Blinded » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:11 am

Warhammer: Story Recommendation

As the title suggests this is a threat to recommend stories of Warhammer, which includes but might not be limited to settings such as warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40000 and Horus Heresy, Warhammer Crossover stories and Warhammer Alternate Universe stories.

If you like a story, be it from one of the categories above or a previously unknown one, or from Bolthole or some other online sources such as fanfiction.net, you can recommend it here so that others may enjoy them too.

Afterwards the other readers can discuss the recommendations and give them Positive,Neutral or Negative points.

For now a link to and a short review/summery (most likely the most informative of those sent in the recommendations) of any story with at least One positive point (being recommended here, really) will be added to the first post (for Long stories) and second post (for one-shots) where they would be arranged based on the highest Positive point to the lowest.

Warning: Note that unlike Bolthole some sources allow stories Rated M for Mature which include but are not limited to sexual shenanigans (pretty much anything on /tg/ and 4chan, really), over-graphicness and as such. While you can recommend these stories here too, a Rated M for Mature must be added to the recommendation post too. For your own good.... :mrgreen:

Oh and thanks for our dear Moderators for making this threat possible.

Recommended Long Stories:

Kazora's Manifest Damnations, by LordLucan. ONGOING. W40K
+1
Reviewed by: Blinded ( up to ten positive/neutral/negative other reviewers)
Summery: [Blank for now until other recs are sent]

Rise of the Tau, By Revenant. COMPLETED. W40K-AU
+1
Reviewed by: Blinded

Shinji and Warhammer40k, by Charles Bhepin. ONGOING. W40K-Crossover.
+1

The Shape Of The Nightmare To Come 50k and here, by LordLucan. COMPLETE.W40K-AU
+1

The warp is calm by LordsFire. ONGOING. W40K-Mass Effect Crossover.
+1

WAO, by Commissar Danno. ONGOING. WHF-Crossover.
+1
Last edited by Blinded on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:31 am, edited 9 times in total.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Re: Warhammer: Recommended Stories

Postby Blinded » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:15 am

Recommended Short Stories

Gav and Bob By Anonymous (extracted from 1d4chan)
+2
Reviewed by: SIngemeister, Blinded

RiaR: Winners' Thread By Various winners of RiaR competition. ONGOING
Excellent
Reviewed By: Members of Bolthole
Summery: In words of J D Dunsany "This is the repository for those stories that have won the 'Read in a Rush' competition. If you're looking for high quality stories to read in a spare few minutes, look no further."

Note that this one is just an example, and being a collection of Short Stories, it's neither fair nor proper to be placed here, not to mention it has its own established place. If you are interested in adding RiaR or similar series of short stories and One-Shots you'll have to send name and link to only the ONE short story you are recommending, and if for example you want to recommend a particular RiaR competition as a whole or a series of closely related One-Shot they would be added to Recommended Long stories.
Last edited by Blinded on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Blinded » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 am

Okeey, now that the threat is established I think it's a good time to start posting actual recommendations here and hopefully I won't be the only one?

Here goes:

Rise of the Tau http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?96321-Rise-of-the-Tau, By Revenant. COMPLETED. W40K-AU

+1

The very first Warhammer fanfiction AND Warhammer story I ever saw and read back in the long gone BlackLibrary Forums, and a remarkable one too. A pity I couldn't find the ones posted by Revenant himself due to various problems.

An epic story, both in plot and scale, it is about rise of an Empire and fall of an Imperium in a struggle that goes to War in Heavens. The quality of the writing rarely drops (mostly in the final chapters) and it kind of reminds me of Graham McNeill's style. Of course due to new Codex Necron the story is now on the Heretical side of Fluff but it is good enough to be recommended nonetheless.

And it has its own Trope.

Kazora's Manifest Damnations http://www.thebolthole.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2783, by LordLucan. ONGOING. W40K
+1

One of the unfortunately rare few examples for story-making potentials of Dark Heresy. Kazora has fallen to traitors, led by a mysterious and charismatic monster which called itself 'The Messenger of Fire'. Ten years on, the Imperial remnants fight on hopelessly. Interrogator haubek and his diminished team of acolytes must figure out a way of destroying 'The Messenger of Fire'.

Well written, it promises a well-planned plot and a good deal of Inquisition style adventure (as opposed to Inquisitors unleashing their Ordos' Chamber Militant upon the enemies of man) and while it has elements of the hungriest army of W40k (this IS LL we are talking about after all), it has not shown signs of over-the-top-ness you can sometimes see in his more grimdark settings, YET.

All in all a good read.

Shinji and Warhammer40k http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3886999/1/Shinji-and-Warhammer40k, by Charles Bhepin. ONGOING. W40K-Crossover.
_+1
As the title suggest it's a crossover between NGEvangelion and W40K, where Shinji Ikari finds a boxful of insanity and becomes even more unhinged than before. Somehow, this is A Good Thing. As the grim dark future melts into stark bleak present, upon a throne of tropes humanity might find the savior it so requires.

Containing elements of comedy, adventure and good old Gendo-ness, it is
(BTW how can I put name and the link in one?) a good read for those who don't mind hallucinations of a deranged mind speaking through tabletop models.

WAO http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9538102/1/WAO, by Commissar Danno. ONGOING. WHF-Crossover.
+1
When news of Warhammer Fantasy Battle turning into the very first VRMMO (Virtual Reality MMORPG) came out the fans and the geeks were excited out of their pants. However what they did not now that Akihiko Kayaba the genius creator of the VRMMO had entirely different plans when he commented on creating a perfect replica of Warhammer Fantasy.

The fantasy world was made and quarter million players fans and tech-enthusiasts from all over the world logged into the game, only to find their fantasy has turned into a nightmare as Akihiko had trapped them inside via lethal trap he had designed inside their virtual interface, the Nerve Gear. The game became a death match and the only way out is to beat the game.

The problem? Akihiko Kayaba was as faithful to WHF as they come and rules are based on WHFrpg 2nd edition.

All in all a good story and enjoyable for SAO (Sword Arts Online) series as well as purely WHF fans, though the author tends to ignore his own rules ( rules of SAO and thus WAO game) from time to time and goes a bit over-the-top when it comes to "Darkness within human heart".

PS: How can I combine Name and Link into one again?
Blinded

Postby Blinded » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Guess what I found!! A story on 1d4 that does not melt your brain or induce RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE upon I contact

The Shape Of The Nightmare To Come 50k http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Story:The_Shape_Of_The_Nightmare_To_Come_50k#Author.27s_Aside_By_LordLucan and http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51806&page=1, by LordLucan. W40K-AU
+1

According to 1d4chan: The following was written and posted by LordLucan, of the http://www.heresy-online.net forums, from 2009 to 2010. The Shape Of The Nightmare To Come 50k was his imagining of how the universe of Warhammer 40,000 would change by the year 50,000. As might be guessed from the title, it was an especially grimdark outlook.
Regardless, the writing represents some of the finest Warhammer 40k fanfiction that has ever been posted to the Internet. It is with that in mind that the writing has been copied and posted here, almost word-for-word. After all, posting the stories to two sites better ensures that fans will always be able to access and enjoy the writings in times to come ( a sentiment which I whole-heartedly agree with as this very story for example would have went down along with second BL-forum otherwise).
Blinded

Postby Blinded » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:50 am

The warp is calm http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8204694/3/The-Warp-is-Calm by LordsFire. W40K-Mass Effect Crossover.
+1

It's rather well written this far and for the most part true to background lore and spirit of W40K. Though there are some points like the Author ignoring that Tau, Tyranids and Necrons were not active at start of M41 but... eh.

Featuring elements of Fantasy Flight's W40K RPG including one master Haarlock, up until its latest update it was an enjoyable read.

BTW I do expect you guys to make your recommendations too!! Don't tell me you never read an story that you actually like and feel like other people should enjoy it too.
Blinded

Postby SIngemeister » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Gav and Bob -1d4chan

One of the most moving pieces of fanfiction I've ever read. Never thought I'd cry because of an ogryn.
SIngemeister

Postby Blinded » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:19 pm

SIngemeister wrote:Gav and Bob -1d4chan

One of the most moving pieces of fanfiction I've ever read. Never thought I'd cry because of an ogryn.

Read it and liked it. It was very touching and carrier feeling of each PoV character rather nicely.

+1
Blinded

Return to Board index

Return to Competitions and Challenges