Drabble Challenge: Zenith

An area for literary challenges and ongoing competitive events of all kinds.

Drabble Challenge: Zenith

Postby MisterEd » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Write a drabble. That's 100 words, no more, no less. For those who want a bonus challenge, you have 24 hours from the point of accepting this assignment to get it done. Note this in your reply.
A Dictionary definition of todays word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/zenith

The Theme word for this Drabble shall be: Zenith
MisterEd

Re: Drabble Challenge: Zenith

Postby MisterEd » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 pm

The blade is perfectly sharp. The combat grip moulds naturally to the hand, advanced plastics create a perfect handle for each user. The guard is the perfect size; large enough to prevent accidental harm, small enough for swift use. The blade itself is broad enough to block blows, and so sharp that, when wielded by the strong, it will slice through all but the greatest of amours. Yet this marvel of technology makes me weep, for not only is it a violent, ugly thing, it reminds me we have forgotten so much. This knife is the zenith of our knowledge.
MisterEd

Re: Drabble Challenge: Zenith

Postby Smackbeth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 pm

The cloud layer beckoned above, the shrieking engine loud.

‘Climb!’

His vision was returning, that was bad. With deceleration came sight, with deceleration also came the foe.

'Halo tower this is Bergassia Flight, the Wing is destroyed, repeat Wing is destroyed; read me, over,' he said through gritted teeth. No one responded. They must have reached the airfield then.

Come on girl, he willed. The ascent crushing him.

'One last climb before the oceans claim us. Climb damn you!'

His thunderbolts shattered fuselage gave a mortal death-judder and its engine perished. Its zenith reached.

They fell, together.
Smackbeth

Return to Board index

Return to Competitions and Challenges