2012 Book Challenge!

An area for literary challenges and ongoing competitive events of all kinds.

Re: 2012 Book Challenge!

Postby Vivia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 pm

I am, every book is going on here. Last was The Gildar Rift, I'm not a fast reader. It's looking good considering how much I have struggled. ;)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 am

22. Razumov's Tomb by Darius Hinks, F, 5/12, (***), 2pts, ( a WH novella, very enjoyable)
44 pts
23. Fulgrim by Graham McNeill, F, 30/12, (**), 2 pts, Horus Heresy novel (mixed feelings, the last chapter was the best chapter)
24. Accursed Eternity by Sarah Cawkwell, F, 30/12, (****), 2 pts, (novella from Architect of Fate, well-written horror story)

Total 49 pts
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

Xisor's 2012 Books Updated 31/12/12
Running total: 20pts

Evening all! Sorry about this, since making the switch to Goodreads, I rather lost track of things. Worse, Goodreads seems to lose track of some of the thing I've been reading too!

Final book of 2011: Age of Legend, a cracking anthology.
2011's Total: 113 points, 57 books.

Big Xisor
01. Legion of the Damned by Rob Sanders. F, 09/01, (****), 2pts (Easily a top tier [best-yet?] for the SMB books.)
02. Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. NF, 12/01, (****), 2pts. (Highly interesting and right up my alley.)
03. Knight of the Blazing Sun by Josh Reynolds. F, 27/01, (***), 2pts (Rather enjoyable book with lots of intriguing insights & creations. Some rather memorable characters to boot!)
04. Walking the Tree by Kaaron Warren, F, 03/02 (***), 2pts (A fine and intriguing book. Odd buy enjoyable.)
05. Know No Fear by Dan Abnett, F, 07/02 (****), 2pts
06. The Gildar Rift by Sarah Cawkwell, F, 12/02 (***), 2pts
07. Paradise by AL Kennedy, F, 26/02 (***), 2pts
08. The Primarchs edited by CZ Dunn, F, 05/03 (****), 4pts
09. Dead Winter by CL Werner, F, 12/03 (****), 2pts (remarkable book with quality & style that really 'gets' the ToL feel)
10. Void Stalker by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, F, 17/03 (*****), 2pts (unabashed quality, very dark)
11. Path of the Renegade by Andy Chambers, F, 01/04 (*****), 2pts
12. Architect of Fate edited by Christian Dunn, F, 01/04 (***), 4pts
13. Blood of Aenarion by William King, F, 07/04 (****), 2pts
14. Grey Seer by CL Werner, F, 25/04 (****) 2pts
15. Temple of the Serpent by CL Werner, F, 02/05 (****), 2pts
16. The Emperor's Gift by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, F, 08/05 (****), 2pts
17. Hammer and Anvil by James Swallow, F, 17/05 (***), 2pts
18. Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov, F, 28/05 (*****), 2pts
19. Slights by Kaaron Warren, F, 16/06 (****), 2pts
20. Wrath of Iron by Chris Wraight, F, 17/06 (****), 2pts
21. Angel of Fire by William King, F, 26/06 (****), 2pts
22. The Outcast Dead by Graham McNeill, F, 04/07 (**), 2pts
23. Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres, F, 21/08 (****), 2pts
24. Aurelian by Aaron Demsbki-Bowden, F, 21/08 (*****), 1pt
25. Treacheries of the Space Marines edited by Christian Dunn, F, 05/09 (****) 2pts
26. Dark Disciple by Anthony Reynolds, F, 22/10 (****), 2pts
27. Dark Creed by Anthony Reynolds, F, ??/?? (****), 2pts
28. The 34th Rule by Armin Shimmerman, F, ??/??, (***), 2pts
29. Shadows of Treachery by Christian Dunn, F, ??/?? (*****), 2pts
30. They Shall Have The Stars by James Blish, F, ??/?? (****), 2pts
31. A Life for the Stars by James Blish, F, ??/?? (****), 2pts
32. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, F, ??/?? (****), 2pts
33. Phalanx by Ben Counter, F, ??/?? (****), 2pts
34. Priests of Mars by Graham McNeill, F, 23/09 (****), 2pts
35. Fear to Tread by James Swallow, F, 02/09 (***), 3pts
36. The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen J Gould, NF, 11/09 (****), 3pts
37. Path of the Outcast by Gav Thorpe, F, 27/10 (****), 2pts
38. The Great Betrayal by Nick Kyme, F, 04/11 (****), 3pts
39. The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, NF, 05/11 (****), 2pts
40. Sword of Justice by Christ Wraight, F, 08/11 (*****), 2pts
41. Sword of Vengeance by Chris Wraight, F, 27/11 (*****), 2pts
42. The Siege of Castellax by CL Werner, F, 04/12 (****), 2pts
43. Orion: Vaults of Winter by Darius Hinkts, F, 29/12 (****), 2pts
44. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien, F, 20/12 (*****), 2pts
45. Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov, F, ??/?? (*****), 2pts
46. God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, NF, ??/?? (****), 2pts
47. Hammer & Bolter, Year One by various, F, ??/?? (*****), 3pts

Wee Xisor
01. A Quiet Place of Assembly by John Brunner, F, ??/01 (***)
02. Midnight on the Street of Knives by Andy Chambers, F, 02/02 (***)
03. Flesh by Chris Wraight, F, 09/02 (****)
04. Commander Shadow by Brendan Campbell, F, 09/02 (***)
05. The Arkunasha War by Andy Chambers, F, 09/02 (***)
06. Survivor by Steve Parker, F, 11/02 (****)
07. We Are One by John French, F, 12/02 (***)
09. AoF
10. AoF
11. AoF
12. AoF
13+ Treacheries of the Space Marines
20+ Torment by Anthony Reynolds
21+ Feast of Horrors & ???
23+ Kraken
24+ Hammer & Bolter Year One not mentioned above
25+ BL 15th Anniversary Shorts
40+ H&B: Xenos first few

Currently Xisor
Iron Guard by Mark Clapham
Hammer & Bolter: Xenos Hunters edited by Christian Dunn
The Ulysses Quicksilver Omnibus by Jonathan Green
The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
A Game of Thrones by GRR Martin
Planet of Judgement by Joe Haldeman
Cities in Flight #3 by James Blish
Mythmaker by Carter Wheelock
Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges
Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith
Monkey: Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en
The Never Ending Sacrifice by Una McCormack
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn

And, to be honest, I'm sure I missed a few out. Unfortunately, that places me significantly under the Fifty for Fifty (two) plan of attack. Now, to tally it all up and see where I came!

2011: 113 points over 57 books
2012: 98 points over 46 books

HUMBUG!

On the otherhand, it's been a fiendish year herein. Better yet, I've done a ton of reading which includes many of the not-yet-finished ones. Also, H&B and the anthologies really mess this up. How do you count numberless short stories? :lol:

On the upside, it does mean that the final book of 2012 has the privilege of being Orion: Vaults of Winter. Appropriate? Perhaps.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:21 am

I forgot to add the points.
48 pts in total.
The 2012 challenge was a complete success in my case, it was a very difficult year for reading. 2011 was a much better year.
I'm ridiculously happy for reading 23 books, plus all the short stories. During the late 90s and early 00s I was going through a seriously bad reading draught, years flew by without book reading, years, it's hard for me to understand now, in retrospect it's fairly obvious the reasons for this, but this is from someone who has been a bookworm (in secret) since the age of 7.
I thank BL for bringing me out from the dark, twice. ♥♥♥
Vivia

Postby Ghurlag » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I finish on a grand total of 124 points, spread across 58 books (That's 2.14 points per book). Of course, I've read a lot of other material during the year - mostly bits of textbooks (I never finished a whole one), sections of the Bible (a task I've left alone for a while) and scientific papers, to say nothing of news and blogs and such, but this list is about books, and I'll stick to that topic.

To delve into the stats a little more, we can break down my list by type, getting 5 non-fiction books, 2 short-story anthologies and a massively dominating 51 volumes of fiction. That's not that surprising, as this is my leisure reading, and any non-fiction that shows up will be stuff I consider an interesting diversion from work.

Drilling deeper, I can pick out roughly 25 science fiction novels and roughly 15 fantasy novels, leaving perhaps 11 items of fiction which fall into no ready bracket. The weight towards science fiction is a little greater than I had expected, though perhaps helped along my my reading of series and collections (Foundation, Wells, Dune). I should perhaps guiltily acknowledge that there are no Black Library books in the list.

Looking at the completion dates, I can see that I seem to go through 'reading spells' where I'll read solidly for a couple of weeks, followed by more laid-back periods with the occasional completed book. These periods often (but not always) coincide with holidays. Despite this spurt method, there's only one month during which I didn't complete a book (February) and I recall that was the post-christmas refraction period, during which I was reading the weighty Necronomicon (something that has to be taken slowly to be enjoyed [I took two months over it, obviously with plenty of pause]).

The last book of the year (though I had of course moved on by the 31st) was The Man in the High Castle, which I recall as an enjoyable if not particularly amazing read, introduced as a light intermission for another book (the first on my 2013 list, though I've been reading it on and off for a while) the well-written but weighty China: A History.

The 'competition' has been interesting, and I found I enjoyed keeping my list up-to-date. It helps me remember the gaps I need to fill and the books I started but put aside for a while. Everyone went quiet after a while, but that's to be expected. I hope to see folks on the 2013 list (a new thread, perhaps?).

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Vivia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 am

These kind of list are great for me, I had little memory of why I picked up a few of the books and reading my list helps me refresh my memory.

Good:
I kept myself away from horror stories most of the time. There was a conscious decision to read regular fiction and just not Black Library. Mostly old mystery books, haven't read those for a decade or so. Went back to childhood favourites.

Bad:
Very BL dominant. Whenever I get lazy in my reading I go for BL. In 2011 there more focus with horror and sci-fi stories, especially in the summer season. No non-fiction books, 2011 I bought Crafting For Poor People and several knitting books. I would like more variety in my reading.

Hopefully, I learned from the 2012 challenge and will expand my reading horizons.
Vivia

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Competitions and Challenges