New-Look Bolthole

An area for Bolthole-related business, such as technical issues, moderation consultation and any Bolthole-related topics.

New-Look Bolthole

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Howdy.

You may have noticed that I've done some redecorating.

I'm away for a little while and all the paint starts flaking...
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: New-Look Bolthole

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Please note that I have also updated the legal and copyright information at the bottom of the board, as this hasn't been updated since I set up the board in 2017. In the unlikely event any official GW types should see this post and wish to correct me, please feel free to do so and I will make it right.
Pyroriffic

Postby Athelassan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:19 pm

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the new background. Black text on white/off-white may be boring but it's timeless and relatively easy to read. Blue/grey-on-blue/black (not to mention other text colours) is always more of a struggle and this specific underlay is very busy, which doesn't help with readability at all.

In the nicest way possible, it looks a bit like a Geocities page from the late 90s.

Also the way that the header stays in place and gets in the way when you scroll down the board page is quite annoying.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:22 pm

No worries, just throwing things around.

Will shove the old one back up for now until we find something that everyone loves.

As a point of note, I think you still have the option to choose a background in your own settings; AFAIK that feature's never been switched off.
Pyroriffic

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Except weirdly, I can't edit the licence text in the bottom.

Strange and unusual.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 pm

if you find a theme you like but the colours are off I can tweak a css and what not to change colours (ptoflat looks a decent style for phpbb that should be hackable)
schaferwhat‽

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Here you go, here's the PHPBB styles gallery - what takes people's fancy?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2

Not all of them can be utilised here as the database is a bit out of date, but there's what's on offer.
Pyroriffic

Postby Squiggle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:18 pm

How about Legacy. Or Dirty Board (which has a tiny picture so I cant really see what it looks like).

Both of these have dark text on a lighter background and I think will work with the version of phb we are currently running.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Dirty Board is live now - Schafe, if you could figure out which css file has the background header image in, because I'm stumped!
Pyroriffic

Postby Xisor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:53 pm

Could take a bit of getting used to, but... I think I'm in love!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:Dirty Board is live now - Schafe, if you could figure out which css file has the background header image in, because I'm stumped!

The site logo one that says Dirtyboard?

Naming the image you want as that as site_logo.png and saving it in the images folder in the theme folder of the styleset would replace the existing one with the new one and everything will point at it. Probably the quickest and easiest work around to save me reading through all the many many stylesheets.

(On the many many stylesheets front. It looks snazzy and all but I'm not a massive fan. Because whenever you move away from websites looking like websites you are going to run into accessibility issues with visual representation and the like and as much as I am all for theme designers getting their names at the bottom of sites the ads are a bit garish in this theme).

In some regards, the Naruto Theme seems pretty decent so long as we replace all the images with something a bit more appropriate (like our chainsword and hammer logo, the BL logo, the Imperial Aquilla or whatever).
schaferwhat‽

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 pm

This one's gonna stay for now because at least it has a bit of life to it - and I'm pretty hard pushed for time.

Will take a longer look at it when I get the chance.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:55 pm

No worries, I am not flush with time until January in all likelihood what with working in retail and it being Christmas. Proflat looks neat, it has social media in the footer already which might be nice and a range of colours to choose from. Taking a gander at a few of these and it wouldn't be too hard for me to hack one into something a tad more personal to us in a couple of days if that is something someone wants me to do on my holiday in January.

Edit: Also that wasn't meant to be me being moany. Other than the flashing graphic for threads with more than one page (easily fixed) this'll likely grow on me. I'm just overly tired and cranky when people design things with lots of different stylesheets which makes it a laborious task to find the one bit of one of them I need to find.

further edit: Looking at the extensions thing for stuff like social media sharing buttons and the like is also a factor in considering what we're doing style wise if we're going for further functionality like that either via extensions that exist already or making our own.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Change scares me. Someone hold me. :cry:
Major Rawne

Postby Squiggle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:14 am

Major Rawne wrote:Change scares me. Someone hold me. :cry:

Come on everyone, form an orderly queue to hold Rawne...

Everyone?
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby David Earle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Mostly fine, but can someone explain what the offensive blinking thread icons are supposed to represent?
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Return to Board index

Return to About the Bolthole