Skip to content

Identity

An area for Bolthole-related business, such as technical issues, moderation consultation and any Bolthole-related topics.

Re: Identity

Postby Vivia » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:46 pm

They won't fool us again!
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:13 am

I don't think the price rises on the standard fiction have been out of order particularly, certainly not compared to the book market as a whole.

Taking 2009 as a comparator isn't entirely fair since before that BL had held their prices for five years (they went up from £5.99 to £6.99 in 2004). In 2009-10 they went up to £7.99 for the A-formats which was in line with the market standard at the time.

For comparison with other B-format novels, I've grabbed some random recent titles, from all genres, and checked the prices:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, purchased 2013: RRP £7.99
Dracula Cha Cha Cha, purchased 2012: RRP £7.99
The Perfect Fool, purchased 2013: RRP £10.99
Look to Windward, purchased 2013: RRP £8.99
Alone in Berlin, purchased 2010: RRP £9.99
Ordinary Thunderstorms, purchased 2010, RRP £7.99
Submarine, purchased 2011, RRP £8.99
Essays in Love, purchased 2010, RRP £7.99

All of those are in the B-format that BL use, and as I've mentioned before A-formats are increasingly uncommon (I have only one from the last five years, other than BL books themselves); BL bucked the trend by continuing to use them as long as they did. It looks like BL is pitched around the middle if not towards the lower end of the current price bracket for fiction (non-fiction in the same format tends to be higher).

I really don't think the problem is that the book prices are too high. If anything, BL haven't pushed their prices for the standard paperbacks as high as they might. My issue is with the staggered book release across three formats. I can't think of any other novel line or publisher that does that, and I'm really not sure what it achieves for BL.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 am

pricing of physical books seems fine, though I'd argue that they're flogging the exclusive editions a bit too much for horse corpse sanctity.

It is when they collect an omnibus of the digital index astartes pieces that cost £3.50 each for significantly less than the price of all of them together that it seems a bit wrong. Like they're abusing the customer for trusting them and buying the individual works.
schaferwhat‽

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:pricing of physical books seems fine, though I'd argue that they're flogging the exclusive editions a bit too much for horse corpse sanctity.

I think the discussion is going a bit off-topic right now with all the talk of pricing, but I just want to chime in here to say that I agree with Schafe on this point. They are going all-out with these limited edition books and its a major turn-off. There's not even any artificial exclusivity anymore, given how many books are coming out.

Eh. Whatever. They'll do what they'll do. Everybody follows the scrip.

With regards to the identity, this place has always been one of mixed interest where the unifying factor is that we all love BL books. Whether we discuss the books or do fanfiction or the gaming side, we've always covered a wide range of topics, and that's fine, and that's how it should remain.

Promoting the anthologies is fine and all, but you have to think about just what you are trying to do here. If you really want to make it all official and all, that is, go full professional, then you really should look for a better venue than what exists currently. I see no reason at all why we can't have a specific subforum to discuss the Bolthole anthologies and keep all relevant discussion limited to that space, with the occasional promo stuff on the blog, etc.

This is a place where we, first and foremost, come to chat together and hang out, and despite the fact that so many people of late have been getting published (traditionally or otherwise), it should remain a place where we can all essentially chill out.

I'm sure other people have already said all this before, and in greater detail no doubt, but this is a message that bears repeating.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 am

I think it is relevant in so far as we are a fansite in an environment where fandom is hard to maintain. We will always have the IP whichis cool to play with.
schaferwhat‽

Previous

Return to About the Bolthole