Skip to content

Bloghole Comp - Author Interviews

An area for Bolthole-related business, such as technical issues, moderation consultation and any Bolthole-related topics.

Re: Bloghole Comp - Author Interviews

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:03 am

A - admittedly obvious - question for Nik and Dan Abnett:

How is writing a novel together different from writing alone? How do you go about the writing process? One writes the even chapters, another the odd ones? Or how do you divide the work between you?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 am

So along with Chris Wraight and Anthony Reynolds, I also have Josh Reynolds in the queue. Any questions for these three guys, let me know.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 am

For Chris Wraight:

Since he is already writing the second SMB novel, how is writing those different from writing 'normal' novels? How limiting is it to be stuck to a short and often maybe not that well thought out account of a battle and to have make sense of it?

I'd also like to know how Anthony Reynolds feels about ADB tackling his WB in the HH, and how much they communicated over all of this (including 'Lorgar's' appearance in Torment), but that one might not be political to ask.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:33 am

Without causing any waves, I doubt there was any collaboration.

And TBH, I wouldn't expect there to be since there is such a big difference in characters from 30k and 40k :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 am

Not collaboration. Communication. "When you wrote that bit here, what did you think about xy?" and such. Besides, 'Lorgar' in Torment feels at least inspired by TFH.
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:43 am

Liliedhe wrote:Not collaboration. Communication. "When you wrote that bit here, what did you think about xy?" and such. Besides, 'Lorgar' in Torment feels at least inspired by TFH.

Don't confuse me with semantics young lady! :roll: I'll make a note of it. My list of questions did feel too short hah!

shadowhawk2008

Postby Vivia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Heh, I want to ask Reynolds.

What's your favourite WB character in the series?
How do you prepare to write about deeply disturbing characters such as them?
Not the best wording but you can rephrase them. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am

Last call for questions before I send them off tonight. Deadline is 7pm GMT.

- Anthony Reynolds
- Chris Wraight
- Josh Reynolds

shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:42 pm

All three interviews have been sent off.

Next batch will be:

1. Dan Abnett and Nik Vincent
2. Paul S Kemp
3. Let's keep this one a mystery for now.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Jim Shady » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:23 am

Nuts! Was guna ask Chris if he's guna let on about what happend to Leman Russ in TBOTF :(

Question for Dan then. Can you put the good people from this very forum in the next Ghosts book? I'm sure we don't mind laying down our lives for the good of the Imperium :D
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:58 am

Well, the questions in general are more about their work and how they approach it and so on. Stuff like Russ's fate from the novel and what not are more appropriate for the'ask the author' threads.

As for the other question, I'll consider it, although I'm gonna say probably not since its more a relational question, especially as he actually doesn't have a presence here.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 am

Why don't you split Dan and Nik's interview? They're both authors in their own right, after all.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:42 am

Pyroriffic wrote:Why don't you split Dan and Nik's interview? They're both authors in their own right, after all.

Thats a good point I suppose. Well, one more interview then!

shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 pm

I've received the interview back from Josh, so that will be going up on the 23rd.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 pm

It seems a bit odd to source questions from the forum for in interview then disregard them on that basis: all of this is suitable for an Ask the Author threads.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Xisor wrote:It seems a bit odd to source questions from the forum for in interview then disregard them on that basis: all of this is suitable for an Ask the Author threads.

I get what your saying, but there is a difference between:

Q to Dan Abnett:

How do you go about creating the multitude of character in the Gaunts Ghosts novels? How do you keep them interesting and individual? And how do you keep track of them?

AND

What ever happened to Jon Anonymous mentioned on page 247 of First and Only? He never got mentioned again, what gives?

Both types of questions could go on the 'Ask the author' thread, but I don't believe that the latter question is suitable for an author interview or even necessarily interesting for all but a couple of people. Yes, the Russ question is probably more interesting than most, but the answer is clearly going to be vague/non-specific.
Rob P

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:58 pm

All four interviews have been typed up. Barring the fourth mysterious one which I'll announce later once I receive confirmation from the author, the interviews will be going out by Wednesday night 7pm GMT.

The three interviews to be sent off will be: Paul Kemp, Dan Abnett, Nik Vincent.

And the reason mentioned by Rob re:suitable questions is what I agree with and was part of my original intent when doing all these interviews. I may have missed the mark in a couple early interviews but with all the ones I've been doing this past week (especially) I am trying to avoid such questions.

All that said, my advice would be to wait and read the interviews when they go up before any criticisms are applied.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Quite, but I don't think 'broad interviews' are a bad place for specific questions. An outré or specific question could be quite well placed, especially as a "And here's one our post X wanted to ask". Not all of them need be included if we have a surplus, but I'd go so far as to say forum participation in the interviews is staggeringly minuscule and that dismissing not particularly daft questions as inappropriate leaves me feeling ... that it's not very forum-y.

If folks want it asked in interview...that's where they can ask them. Personally, though I doubt Wraight'd give an outright answer, I do think his response would (hopefully) be something pretty interesting and probably in keeping with the rest of the interview.

Certainly, it's not the same as "What the hell was going on with the timeline in The Outcast Dead!?". (Which I'm sure we likely all agree is likely to be inappropriate.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 pm

I had a question for Paul Kemp somewhere in this thread.
Liliedhe

Postby Vivia » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 am

The Ask the Authors is about us, the fans and our fan questions and our love for nerdy details. :) An interview is about the author and a chance to give us an insight into their work process.

AtA - for fans and fan questions
Interview - focus on the author and their books, with a bit of fan service

I would much prefer that questions about timelines, which characters are dead/alive, and faulty background to be left out of an interview. That's what this forum is all about. Hopefully the people who read the interviews will show up here and discuss whatever they want, at all hours of the day, instead of asking random questions on BL authors FB, Twitter or blogs.
Sorry to say this but I've noticed people get a little greedy and want the authors to be a source of all knowledge regarding WH/40k. It isn't polite.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

PreviousNext

Return to About the Bolthole