User-Selected Styles

An area for Bolthole-related business, such as technical issues, moderation consultation and any Bolthole-related topics.

User-Selected Styles

Postby Ghurlag » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Guys,

As promised, I've turned some attention to getting a range of styles for the Bolthole. I've collected a number of likely candidates, and they're now installed on the forum. What I'd like is for you guys to test them out, see which ones you like (or if you like none of them, say that) and what needs doing to them to bring them up to scratch (there's obvious things like changing the default images, but anything you point out would be helpful).

To flick through the styles, go to your user control panel and from there to 'Board Preferences'. You should be able to select a style of your choice.
The forum will load a little slower than usual during your first explorations with a new style, so be aware of that in assessing it. Also, bear in mind that you're likely a little accustomed to the old style by now, so they might all feel a little odd.

Post up your observations, groans and requests about the styles here, and I'll begin filtering them until we have a set that we're fairly sure covers most people's preferences.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Re: User-Selected Styles

Postby Vivia » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:55 pm

There is excitement in the air. Celtic Dreams, looks interesting. Thanks a lot for the changes. ♥
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Dorian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I fell in love with Saphic right away. You just can't beat green.

Great job!
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Hmm, it would appear (to me, at least) that the astrum skin is the only one that has a link to the shoutbox.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:49 pm

The Saphic skin has a major flaw; it's exposing all the old spoiler tags and not only are they gone but the text is bigger than normal. :) The same happened when I changed skin on Warseer.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Major flaw in the extreme dark red style: Regular registered user name colors are in red, a colour we use to denote administrators.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 pm

I think it is evident that nothing has been sorted with regards the other themes fitting into the unique bolthole elements of the forum.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Raziel4707 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Major flaw in the extreme dark red style: Regular registered user name colors are in red, a colour we use to denote administrators.

i also had a great deal of trouble locating the tab for the shoutbox, it may not be there at all...
Raziel4707

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 pm

I had a look at them all and decided to go back to boring old default. Suits me just fine.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 pm

The Saphic skin doesn't have a Shoutbox tab either.
Vivia

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Raziel4707 wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:Major flaw in the extreme dark red style: Regular registered user name colors are in red, a colour we use to denote administrators.

i also had a great deal of trouble locating the tab for the shoutbox, it may not be there at all...

It likely isn't, it isn't a button that is on the skin as default you see.

I think what Ghurlag is after is words with regards which are the popular themes to bring up to scratch.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Raziel4707 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 pm

I know it's not a default button, dude, but it is one that's kind of integral to how I use the site so thought they should probably know...

Hence why I've reverted to Astrum.
Raziel4707

Postby Xisor » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Ghur, have you much knowledge of what has to be done to knock together 'custom' themes for phpBB, offhand? I'd be happy to give it a go, but my experience is limited at best.

I've a bit of an idea in my head how I'd like things to look, but none of the new skins really tickle my fancy. (I'll check them again later this evening, initial knee-jerk reactions and all that.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm

It has been years since I did a phpbb skin myself, so I'm no use.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Ghurlag » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:42 am

Thanks for the responses, folks. As schafe said, this is so I can get an idea of which themes should be given due attention for long-term support more than anything else. The shoutbox link will be added to the themes people want to use.

Xisor, I haven't done much myself, but I can send you some resources and guides if you like. An understanding of how HTML/CSS works is fairly useful, and I suppose some capability for making images (or stealing them from somewhere). The amount of work kinda depends on what you're after. If you get something together, I'd be happy to put it up for others to check out.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Squiggle » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:42 pm

the green one is way too green! maybe a more mellow green would work better! I like green, so that would be good.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:26 pm

I like the Bl@ck by sevenalive personally, but then I've always been a little odd :D
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Xisor » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Aye, I've temporarily switched to Bl@ck. Well, I say temporarily, we'll see how it goes.

My main concern in HTML & CSS is the (im)proper widening of the boards. Bl@ck's nice and wide on my screen, but I'll see if I like the widening of the paragraphs this way. Shrinking windows and whatnot.

Anyway, if you've got the tutorials to hand, Ghur, I'd be happy to have a poke about in 'em. I don't want to promise much, but there's no particular reason I can't dig out the knowledge/inspiration buried in here somewhere. (That said, wed design's probably my weakest side on all computery-gubbins, but who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I really like Saphic, the green has has a calming effect on me. Despite that I've changed back to Astrum because of the few problems with the new ones. It gets a little distracting. :)
Vivia

Postby Tyrant » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 pm

I've been through them all, and very definitely prefer Astrum. I'm set in my ways and don't care for change.

*grumbles*
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Next

Return to Board index

Return to About the Bolthole