The Dashing Adventures of Gileas Ur'ten - Pt. 1

For Warhammer fiction not strictly from either universe.

The Dashing Adventures of Gileas Ur'ten - Pt. 1

Postby Cultist » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Hello folks, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance - especially with by way of a story. I'm spoiling you from the off, I really am!

There is a little bit of background story to this: Pyroriffic and I were discussing a less than favourable review that Primary Instinct had received. The whole crux of the reviewer's argument, and the basis for his dismissal of the story as a whole, was that she was too concerned with a character's appearance is "there was a little too much attention being paid to how handsome the Sergeant was… " were his words.

Was there too much attention? No. There was one line commenting on Gileas' facial tattoos. One line in a whole story? Excessive? I think not. In comparison look at the first three books in the HH trilogy, which are 50/50 split of 'ooooooh, that Horus is a swine' and 'ooooooh, that Horus is a charmingly handsome bugger'.

This in turn lead to a conversation about how she - as a female sci-fi writer is obviously far too concerned with romance and pretty things to create a decent Space Marine tale. So I suggested that she take Gileas and The Silver Skulls, and make them a little more... Mills & Boon. A little swashbuckling. A little bit more heaving bosom and engorged loin...

She didn't take me up on the suggestion, so I decided to do it for her.

WHat follows is a hastilyt cobbled-together tale, created over a 40 minute lunch break at work. I take great liberties with Gileas and his crew, but I've been given Pyroriffic's blessing and so it's all good.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Life as The Governor’s daughter was not an easy existence. Aside from the crippling sense of ennui that comes with a life wasted within a void-shield protected manse, her father insisted on parading a seemingly endless stream of suitors before her. To a man, these were the eldest sons of varying planetary lords and diplomats, all with standing.

All who stood before her admired Lady Sarah’s beauty, all sought to buy her affections with indulgent gifts or boasts of influence within the Imperium. None of this mattered to Sarah; as she gazed up through the shimmer of her protective prison, she knew that the man she would love would be different. They may not have money or political power, but they would be… extraordinary.

“The warband are making planetfall sir”

“Very good, Pancho” Sergeant Gileas Ur’ten laid a companionable hand upon the shoulder of his trusty servitor. “Follow the Chaos swine and don’t let them out of your sight.”

Gileas turned from the cockpit of the thunderhawk to face his men. The Reckoners; the most daring band of Silver Skulls warriors to sail the empyrean. They were the toast of their chapter, scourge of the unholy and darlings of the Imperial propaganda machine. Men wanted to be them, women wanted to lay with them. A man’s genetically enhanced man, one and all.

“Hear me, Reckoners! Below us lies the planet Fischbourne. Somewhere down there a band of Black Legion pigs are despoiling the planet with their very presence. Are we going to allow that?” A roar of denial filled the hull of the transport ship in answer.

As he spokeGileas allowed his crystal blue eyes to linger on each devastatingly rugged member of his squad in turn. “Somewhere down there the Black Legion lay in wait. They outnumber us ten to one. They have superior firepower, an established landing site and no doubt are already in communion with their infernal masters. It is suicide to follow them. Certain death awaits us. So if any of you care to remain aboard the ‘hawk, I understand”

He allowed for a suitably dramatic pause. “So what say you, men?”

“Kill the traitors!” seven marines roared in unison.

Gileas smiled. “That’s my boys”

The Governor’s palace was in disarray. The Black Legion had quickly destroyed the void shield generators and even now were running rampage across the carefully manicured lawns. From the balcony of her room Sarah watched as the head gardener foolishly attempted to defend his prized azaleas with little more than a trowel. He was beheaded with a casual swing of a chainaxe, his body collapsing beside his beloved flowers allowing his blood to fertilize the soil.

“It’s the way he would have wanted to go” she said to no-one.

“And how would you like to go, wench?” The voice was harsh and menacing, causing Lady Sarah to jump in fright. She turned into the room and was greeted by the horror that was Chaos. Clad in blasphemously runed armor, and with his skeleton-grin helm the marine was a nightmare to behold.

“Allow me to introduce myself” it said through a distorted vox. “I am Captain Lurt of the Black Legion. I mean to have my way with you and end your Emperor-loving life. Not necessarily in that order, might I add. Muah-hahahaha!!!”.

Perspiration beaded her forehead and her alabaster skin grew several shades paler. As the debased warrior stepped forward with menacing slowness Lady Sarah felt her legs weaken and the world begin to swim. The marine was close enough for its corrupted stench to assail her senses; it reached out for her with an armoured gauntlet, but as the humming servos of its fingers threatened to close tightly around her delicate neck Lady Sarah fell into a swoon. She staggered back, insensible with fright and toppled over the balcony railing and out of the creature’s grasp.

One of Lady Sarah’s handmaidens saw the drama unfold from her hiding spot in the ornamental maze. Her hand went to her mouth, stifling a cry of horror as she watched her lady plummet to her death.

The maiden's world was suddenly awash in a roaring maelstrom; a hurricane wind threw the young girl to her feet, forcing her to look up at the thunderhawk hovering directly above. As she gazed on, a hatch opened in the side of the craft and a giant of a man descended on a cable. The arc of his movement saw him graze the tops of the maze, throwing the maiden a roguish wink as he swooped overhead.

The upward momentum drew him into the path of the plummeting Sarah and with one thick, tree-trunk of an arm he caughty her prone form and pulled her tightly to his chest and continued to soar with Lady Sarah pressed to him. Reaching the peak of the cable’s swing he released his grip, allowing him to arc an extra metre in the air, bringing him to a graceful landing back on the balcony of her room.

“Thanks Panch’!” he voxed, looking back over his shoulder to give his faithful servitor the thumb’s up. “Excellent flying as always” A silent hiss of static returned over the comms network signalling Pancho’s acknowledgement.

Gileas turned his attention to the room, specifically to the bemused chaos marine in front of him. “Now Panch’, be a sport and let the rest of the boys out to have their fun, won’t you!?”

A second confirmation hiss followed by the pneumatic whine of the Thunderhawk’s cargo doors told him that The Reckoners would soon joing the fray. Gileas allowed himself a smile at the thought of their daring-do as he lowered the unconscious beauty in his arms to the ground.

As he rose to his full, statuesque height Gileas removed his helmet and shook his mane of raven hair free, allowing it to cascade over his shoulder. With exaggerated nonchalance he turned his back to the Black Legion marine and placed his helmet reverentially upon Sarah’s dressing table. His gaze wandered over its contents - the various perfumes and delicately fragranced powders. To his heightened Astartes senses the scent was overwhelming, filling him with a sense of joy and wonder at the woman laying at his feet. There was no way that he would allow the chaotic abomination to touch even a single coppery hair on her head.

Allowing himself one final moment in which to retrieve a perfumed kerchief and hold it to his face, Gileas turned back to Lurt and flashed him an impish smile

“My name is Gileas Ur’ten. Your primarch killed my gene-father. Prepare to die”. A nod of the head as though sympathizing with the warrior’s fate and he drew his chainsword. Sunlight shone through the balcony, reflecting on the ceramite blade in a blazing halo. A simple Astartes weapon appeared, for one moment, like a thing of legend. The emperor’s cleansing light held aloft by the silver-armoured knight.

Gileas’ smile threatened to eclipse the light from the sword. The effect had been unintentional, but it was impressive all the same. He would make sure to inform Pancho so that he could paint a portrait in honour of the moment.

“Now… en-garde!”

Two chainswords thumbed into life simultaneously and the astartes charged. With the scream of ceramite teeth the two weapons clashed. A battle of wills followed, in which the marines tried to overpower one another. Gileas powered his sword towards Lurt, forcing the black-clad villain to his knees, when suddenly from behind him he heard a scream.

Lady Sarah had awoken from her swoon to be greeted with the sight of the two behemoths doing battle near her armoire. One appeared like a black-clad daemon, it’s visage one of unrelenting hate. The other… his chiseled features were obscured by the sway of his hair with each dodge and parry, but from the glimpses Lady Sarah caught she could tell that he was handsome beyond words. The set of his square jaw, the delicate line of his nose and the gentle cast to his eyes. The helmless warrior looked every inch the angel.

As her senses returned, Sarah recalled the daemon-thing’s threat and she failed to control her fear. Her bosom rose as her lungs filled with air, and she unleashed a scream of abject terror.

The angel faltered in his battle and looked in her direction and in that instant Sarah knew love.

The Black Legion marine took advantage of Gileas’ distraction and spun to one side, sweeping his blade up in a scything arc that cleaved the Silver armour in two. For the first time the Skulls sergeant appeared alarmed - glaring in surprise at the damage that had been wrought against his sacred armour. It hung heavy and useless on his body, servos and power conduits severed by the chaos spawn. He stepped back, retreating from another sweep of the thing’s sword, unable to raise his own in defence.

Whispering benedictions to its sacred machine spirit, Gileas tore at the ruined chestplate of his armour, shrugging himself clear of the dead weight and exposing his exquisitely muscled body.

Lady Sarah gasped and dropped into a dead faint once more.

With a lion’s roar, Gileas charged Lurt and barged him with his broad shoulders out of the room and onto a raised walkway overlooking the palace’s grand entrance hall. The black knight fell to the floor and skidded across the polished marble with a screech of ceramite. Gileas used the moment’s respite to flex his sculpted muscles, and work the kinks from his body. His skin was doused with an oily secretion from the mucranoid organ. Intended to protect his exposed torso from the chill air, it nonetheless highlighted his impressive physique to good effect.

“Pancho will need to order more paint!” he exclaimed, sensing a whole series of portraits to honour this particular moment.

The black knight was back to his feet and had his bolter pointed at the chest of the preening Gileas, when several warriors came crashing through a solid rockrete wall and into the entrance hall below. Silver Skulls fought chaos marine and daemon alike, vastly outnumbered but remarkably with the tide of battle still favouring them. Their thrusts and parries were lightning quick, catching the sluggish Legion time and again without answer

“Well met, brothers!” Gileas called to them.

“Huzzah!” came the reply in unison from below.

Lurt looked on in dismay, his own squad almost routed by warriors clad – like their leader – without their upper body armoured and naked muscles glistening.

Lurt’s bolter dropped a fraction in his moment of slack-jawed disbelief, giving Gileas all the opening he needed . With a gentle flick of the wrist his silver chainsword was sent spinning through the air, flying end-over-end before burying itself deeply into Lurt’s bat-winged helm.

The Black Legion warrior gurgled once, then dropped to the floor dead. Seeing the fate of their leader the followers of chaos below turned tail and ran. Gileas watched their retreat with amusement, his booming laughter filling the cavernous hall.

“Leave them be, Skulls. Let the knowledge of their defeat be enough punishment for today!

“Hooray for Gileas. Hooray for the Silver Skulls” cried Battle Brother Nameless.

The hall was filled with the reverberating cry of his name, moving Gileas almost to tears. It was in this moment of emotional vulnerability that he sensed someone approach.

“I… I don’t know how to thank you, most handsome warrior”. Lady Sarah’s voice was soft, gentle and utterly becoming.

“Then it’s a good thing that I do…” he replied, before seizing her a breath-taking embrace and kissing her with more passion than she had known in her entire life.

From below the chants turned briefly to raucous cheers and cat-calls. His name was called again and again with even greater volume.

“So Pancho, quite the adventure eh?” Gileas was in his quarters aboard 8th Company’s strike cruiser. His man-servitor was struggling to mix his paints to get the right skin-tone for his masterful master and did not reply.

“Such a shame. What happened to Lady Sarah, I mean…” Gileas took a bite of an apple from the display at his side, letting the juice dribble down his chin before falling into his naked loin.

“What can I say? Her beauty overcame me. She made my mouth water with anticipation” He mused on the unfortunate moment that his Belcher’s gland began to turn his saliva acidic. One minute he had been sliding his large, gene-enhanced – but perfectly formed tongue across her pretty little lips and the next…

“Well, best not dwell, eh Panch’?”

It wasn’t in the servitor’s core programming, but Pancho sighed wearily.

“Plenty more fish in the sea and all that. Besides, who wants to be tied down when there’s a Galaxy to conquer!?”

From the next room Gileas could hear the muffled cry of “Huzzah!” from several voices in unison and allowed himself a smile.

It was good being a Silver Skull.
Cultist

Re: The Dashing Adventures of Gileas Ur'ten - Pt. 1

Postby Colonel Mustard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous.

And damn funny too.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Two things. Firstly, this was bloody excellent.

Secondly, I cannot go on having read that, and must now poke out my own eyes with a spoon.

Good day.
Raziel4707

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Hmm, not bad, but there's a distinct lack of kittens.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Cultist » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Well, i'd forgotten a book to read at lunch so what else would I do?

in my next instalment the Black Templars encounter the Slaneeshi Rubber Nuns...
Cultist

Postby Cultist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:48 am

We can't have everything at once. The ickle kitties are for another time. As is the Skull vs Skulls posedown.
Cultist

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 am

I love you.

You know that, right?
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:41 am

This was awesome :) Just the right and copious amounts of humour. Reminds me of a line from How I Met Your Mother, when Barney's firm is looking for someone to design their new corporate headquarters and one of the candidates makes a splashing entry in the conference room :D
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Cultist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks for the feedback folks, and hello! A pleasure to make your acquaintance amidst such favourable comments.

As I have put into my 'getting to know you' type post elsewhere on the forum, as much as i love to read the 40K stuff it simply isn't my style of writing, and I struggle immensely with it... unless i'm being silly.

Basically, expect silliness in abundance.
Cultist

Postby Colonel Mustard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Cultist wrote:Basically, expect silliness in abundance.

No objections here. Welcome aboard, Cultist!
Colonel Mustard

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri May 06, 2011 3:45 am

*topples over laughing*

Ahem.

*picks self up, glares at everyone else*

No one saw that. As far as you're concerned, I acted with perfect decorum. Is that clear?
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Return to Board index

Return to Warhammer Adrift