Gotrek & Felix Short Story Submissions

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Gotrek & Felix Short Story Submissions

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:40 am

Christian Dunn has officially announced the G & F anthology, confirming C. L. Werner and Nathan Long as partaking authors, also inviting budding writers to submit G & F shorts in the upcoming May window. Discuss!

Question - Anyone got an idea (not that im asking to hear the idea) of a G & F short to submit, and are you going to 'go for it' as Mr. Dunn has encouraged?
Corrigan Phoenix

Re: Gotrek & Felix Short Story Submissions

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 pm

That wasn't a planned announcement, that was a whimisical "I haven't filled all the slots of this anthology lets see what happens" act by Herr Dunn.

That said I may have a couple of half ideas to be explored on my days off. To be honest talking to boltholers and what not has kickstarted the creative maelstrom of my head. I just need to find decent twist endings to work with the dozen or so themes for shorts I have to elaborate on.
schaferwhat‽

Postby davij038 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Is their a particular theme or can it be just a genreal gotrek and felix story set anywhere in their 20 year career?

If this is genuine, then my dreams have been answered!!!!!! :o
davij038

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Davij038 - It is genuine, the announcement WAS an on-the-spot decision, but they made it official in the 'New Stuff' seminar at the end. Those two names I mentioned are the confirmed authors, and as Schafe said, they've not filled up all their slots yet, and are encouraging people to enter G & F shorts for the May-window.
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Jelboy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I like Gotrek and Felix and it would be great to have a go at the slightly humorous style. But I echo an earlier point - when in their career would the anthology stories take place?
Jelboy

Postby Blood Drinker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 pm

I would/will definatley be doing a sub for this. This is my first day as a Boltholer and already a potential open sub for my two favourite characters and my favourite series in Black Library's extensive catalogue. I've yet to meet a bigger Gotrek & Felix fan than myself and I already have a plethora of ideas for it. Excited much!

BD
Filii Sanguinius, in hoc signo vinces!
Legion of Blood - my Blood Angels army
Blood Drinker

Postby George Stirling » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Jelboy wrote:when in their career would the anthology stories take place?

I suspect stories could be from any point in their history – as long as they're good enough.
George Stirling

Postby Jelboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 pm

it would be really useful if Christian could give us a heads up as to whether he'll be insisting that the Gotrek and Felix tale be set in the EMPIRE, or anywhere (and anytime) Gotrek and Felix have visited during their long and battle scarred career. My best ideas at present all have 'outside of Empire' settings.

(I'm sure that for death and dishonor it was stated that the story had to be set in the Empire)
Jelboy

Postby Phalanx » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Where was the announcement? I can't find it on the BL website.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Erunanion » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:27 pm

There hasn't been an announcement; you can submit G&T stories for the standard open window, but there won't be a specific window for G&T stories.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 pm

My real question is if it has to be focussed on the dynamic duo or could, in the vein of the Thanquol and Ulrika off-shoots, be set around, say, Malakai Makaisson, or something.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby narrativium » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Not an official answer by any means, but I think if you're going to take the opportunity of a Gotrek & Felix submission window to not write about Gotrek & Felix, Malakai is the only character you can write about at the moment. Ulrika and Thanquol have their spin-offs and Snorri's plot seems rather complex at the moment.
narrativium

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:My real question is if it has to be focussed on the dynamic duo or could, in the vein of the Thanquol and Ulrika off-shoots, be set around, say, Malakai Makaisson, or something.

Apparently Herr Werner is doing a Thanquol and Boneripper short for it so that window is probably taken up already.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jelboy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:46 am

Perhaps Maximillian Schreiber's slot is free?
Jelboy

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 pm

submit and find out would be the best way forward with regards that I'd assume unless someone with the knowledge turns up.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Jelboy wrote:Perhaps Maximillian Schreiber's slot is free?
Damn, there's my second choice flaunted in the public eye. ;)
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Jelboy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 am

I wonder, if there are a few of us considering Gotrek and Felix subs, whether (via PMs) we could loosely co-ordinate to strengthen the pitch? By that I mean, at the very least, pick a particular part of the Gotrek and Felix timeline and try to work within that so our subs might have a loose continuity (suitable for an anthology). we needn't actually give too much detail away on the specific plot itself.
Jelboy

Postby narrativium » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 am

Jelboy: the coordination might be interesting but I think the 'loose continuity' idea doesn't work.

Let's say for the sake of example that the loose continuity is the tale of a new companion who travelled with the pair during Trollslayer. One tale in the anthology deals with introducing him, another adventure does something pivotal with him, the third deals with his death, a fourth deals with his legacy when the pair return to the Empire twenty years later in Manslayer.

If Christian wants that to happen, as editor, he can take the stories he's pitched and give the authors extra story requirements (i.e. the character) to include in their tales. But if we wanted to pitch those stories to him... what if the first of the four authors doesn't meet Christian's standards? Will that disqualify the other three because they involve the new companion too much?
narrativium

Postby Jelboy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm

When I said loose, I meant real 'loose' :D

Not interconnected - stories that relied on each other - because of course they might not all be selected (in fact, none of them might be selected)[in fact probably none of them will be selected]

Also I wasn't thinking about coordinating big monster slays. Gotrek has killed most big things, and I think Ogre slayer, lizardmen slayer etc would be full scope novels.

I was just wondering if several people wrote shorts about a particular area of the Warhammer world that Gotrek and pal were wondering through, the resultant body of text might amount to more than the individual entries.

I am, of course, referring to outside of the Empire adventures...
Jelboy

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 am

I'd feel that we'd run the risk of overworking things if we do that Jello. It's uneasy ground to be working with the duo as it is to my mind let alone being too clever with it.
schaferwhat‽

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works