A few book suggestions

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

A few book suggestions

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 am

The Kingmaker/Kingbreaker pair of books, by Karen Miller, are well worth a read.

Also the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr). Don't let the movie put you off, the actual story is enthralling.

Robin Hobbs two trilogys, Farseer & Tawny Man respectively, are both amazing reads. I couldn't put them down one the first, second or third read through.
Corrigan Phoenix

Re: A few book suggestions

Postby Brother Emund » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 am

Caesar's Legion: The Epic Saga of Julius Caesar's Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome by Stephen Dando Collins
Follows the trials and triumphs of Julius Caesar's Legio X, reckoned to be the most famous legion of its day.
The book covers its inception and follows it as it beats Army after Army, in gory close-quarter combat. Many military historians consider the Roman Legions that fought for Caesar, to be the world's most efficient infantry around, before the arrival of gunpowder.

Got it at a boot sale for 50p, what a bargain!
Not exactly 40K, but could be the origins of the Ultramarines!!
All men with honour are kings, but not all kings have honour
Brother Emund

Postby David Earle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:41 am

Just about anything written by Charles Stross is going to be fascinating reading. The only caveat is that his Merchant Princes books were originally planned as a trilogy, but got broken up into six books because of their length. You need to read them two at a time to get the proper effect.

Also, Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files are excellent urban fantasy and well worth checking out.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby groovysl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:19 pm

There was an excellent 1980s series by David Wingrove, the Chung Kuo series (although I felt it lost its way over the series). It's being reissued with 2 newly written prequels, the first of which is Son of Heaven. This is out in hardback at the moment at full price, but the Kindle copy is currently only £1. I read it for an hour or so on a train yesterday, well worth the pound I'd say.
groovysl

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works