Feudal World Military/Idea

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Feudal World Military/Idea

Postby Boris » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Reading Scourge The Heretic [eventually], I came across the thing I've rather liked about 40K worlds, the heirachical style. For those who've read it, on the world they've Guard-Style PDF units. So...

Would it be plausible to take it back a few centuries say to the 19th/18th Century WITHOUT making it Sharpe in Space [literally], I like the idea of Liege Lords wanting tithes and having to give up a number of his own Militia to the Guard. For those who don't make their own Militia comes the agonising years of labouring in mines, on farms and other such jobs that I feel give out both the danger and skill of the merciless 40K image. An Inquisitor stomping around the Feudal World of Mercia would simply not give a flying gak at the twenty or so lives lost in a mine cave in or in an unfortunate accident involving an apprentice gunsmith and a few kegs of blackpowder.

I'm not thinking of a story set within the at-first-glance romantic Victorian style world, I was thinking [maybe too GG-ish] of having Mercia invaded and these 'failures' being drafted in to bulk up both the regular Militia [armed with Muskets/Baker-style rifles] and the Guard Units being trained, then taken from the world.

Would it work? Too ambitious? Too much treading on other's toes?
Boris

Re: Feudal World Military/Idea

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Sounds like a great idea. There is room in the background for all sorts of PDF troops and militiamen and Guard regiments.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby kurisawa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 am

Sure! you could even move up to early rifling tech (just beyond muskets). Think American Civil War era or perhaps 7th Cav vs Apaches.

K.
My short stories:
1. Extraction = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2127
2. Intoxication = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2188
3. Desecration = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2294
4. Indoctrination = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3172

My novel:
BLACK SHIELDS: INCOGNITUS = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1901
kurisawa

Postby Commander Shadow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:23 am

Muskets might seem like they could be a little too far back for tactical use as part of a PDF, if you're fighting many of the alien races out there, despite whatever warrior code you've been indoctrinated with, its probably not going to help.

However simillar musket-y tactics and perhaps bolt action stubguns could make them seem more plausible (not that your idea isn't, there are over a thousand Imperial worlds, anything is possible) and ultimately last longer in a prolonged engadment. If you're set on having soldiers using muskets than there are a variety of things you can do.

I love the idea of Feudal guardsmen. There is almost none fanfic (i think) and actually no published BL stories along those lines. I've tried to write something along those lines and would love to see some other work like it.
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Boris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Thankee people!

I possibly shoulda put a few more points forth, maybe, sort of. These guys aren't going to be 'Active Guardsmen', in fact they're only just worthy of being given weapons [Yes, it's weird how given a few days they flesh themselves out].

Having thought about it, Muskets does sound, not weird but...yeah hopefully you get my meaning, it works, but analysing it you think; "Hmm...'Nid snacks, much."

So after a bit of a think I've come up with them being an amalagamtion between the latter 19th Century British Army [Redcoats, Pith Helmets, Mk 1 Enfields] and the Praetorian Guardsmen [whether they exist now with the new Codex, I'm not sure, I haven't seen them in it]. The Uniform I hope shows how simple they are to kit out and how they're brought up and treated.

Redcoat, black pantaloons, boots, white belt-kit, single-shot Stub-Rifle [Pre-Magazine Enfield see Zulu].

The fact they don't wear head-dress show's they're not really worth their uniform, or the time of the Liege Lords, they're still scum, just a higher class of scum, they fight the other trepassing Lords and defend their single continent from 'Outside Threats'.

I've come up with a System for the world to be included in, which is too long winded at the mo to put in, suffice to say 'Yarrassia' exports food, timber and other 'simple' materials to other worlds and are kept in this state of low-tech [mixed with some higher tech via the Lords] by the Mechanicus...and you thought the Cog Boys were nice!
Boris

Postby Commander Shadow » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:31 pm

WIll this be a BL open submission? or a fan fic? I'm stating (or continuing) to look forwards to this!
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Boris » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:53 pm

A Fan Fic, for the moment, Work and such like being of import and an obstacle. Any suggestions CS? I'd appreciate anything OR, if you're thinking what I'm suddenly thinking; dual written? I'll be able to sort stuff out.
Boris

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

actually yeah, i'd be up for a dual written piece if you'd like. We can work it out over pm.

Commander Shadow

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works