Submissions: Rejected Material

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Submissions: Rejected Material

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm

I was wondering. If I submit any short story or novel idea to BL but it is rejected. Is it allright for me to then post said submission online [either here or my blog for example] and then resubmit it next year? Or does that not work? Just curious.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Re: Submissions: Rejected Material

Postby Phalanx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 pm

If you wish to work on it again and resubmit, I would suggest not posting it anywhere public. If however, like many, you wish to develop the submissions on here or anywhere else to use for some fanfic, go ahead! I intend to on a couple of pieces at least.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm afraid I am a little confused by what you said.

If I want to resubmit my entry next year then I shouldn't post it anywhere public.

But I can develop the submission here and then send it in? :?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Phalanx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 pm

If you want to develop the submission and present it again at another window, then no, you should not post it anywhere online. Keep it between you and your betareaders.

If however, you want to post up your failed submission for reveiw by your peers on this site, then feel free.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Oh ok. :D

shadowhawk2008

Postby LordLucan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:13 pm

To be honest with you, you should avoid sending submissions that are too much like your failed subs, as unless Christian has told you what he found wrong with your sub, how do you know what to correct? You might send him a slightly altered submission, with the same element he didn't like present in it, and it'd be rejected again. Unless you change a submission massively, don't re-submit the same tale is my advice.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm

LordLucan wrote:To be honest with you, you should avoid sending submissions that are too much like your failed subs, as unless Christian has told you what he found wrong with your sub, how do you know what to correct? You might send him a slightly altered submission, with the same element he didn't like present in it, and it'd be rejected again. Unless you change a submission massively, don't re-submit the same tale is my advice.

Much appreciated. Thanks :geek:

shadowhawk2008

Postby Erunanion » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 am

LordLucan wrote:To be honest with you, you should avoid sending submissions that are too much like your failed subs, as unless Christian has told you what he found wrong with your sub, how do you know what to correct? You might send him a slightly altered submission, with the same element he didn't like present in it, and it'd be rejected again. Unless you change a submission massively, don't re-submit the same tale is my advice.

This is a question I have been considering for myself, as I loved the novel sub that I put in last year. However, upon inspection a year after writing, I realise why it didn't get picked up (or at least, I know the reasons why I would not have picked it up. Can't say that I can get inside Christian's head that well, despite the voodoo wossname I have of him...). I could revise it (significantly) but I would prefer to move ahead with a different project and keep that in the drawer for when I can pitch things willy-nilly at BL :)
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Remerez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:52 am

Posting fiction anywhere that it's readily available for public viewing - even if it's on a fan forum such as this - counts as publication. And, if I remember correctly, BL will be looking for first publication rights if/when they accept a story (which I believe most publishing houses will be after, too).

Sure, you could take a chance and hope BL/any potential publisher doesn't realise your submission has been made available online but, aside from any moral quandaries that may raise, there's always the chance they will find out at which point your short/novel/illustrated children’s book will be dropped and your reputation tarnished.

Hypothetically speaking. Not meaning to disparage anyone's character here.

But there's absolutely nothing to stop you showing a potential submission to a friend/kind-hearted stranger with the express intention of receiving critique. Indeed, I believe a number of forum members do just that.

A slightly related thought/question, though: on the old (BL) site there was - I'm sure - a disclaimer or terms of use clause that stated all fiction posted on the site was the Black Library's property. This was, as far as I can remember, to stop any shouts of "YOU STOLE MY IDEA!" should BL publish a short/novel that bore similarities to something posted on their site. Which was also the reason BL authors were politely discouraged from entering the fan fic forum(s).

How does that translate to a fan-run forum, though? I'm pretty sure the latter is still true, but what about the former? I only bring this up as so many of BL's stable are active on this site (including our glorious benefactor; all hail Pyro. And such).

Errr... sorry to derail your thread.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
Remerez

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

Its no problem... its actually a good discussion topic :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

on the old site there was that disclaimer? Out of curiosity did anyone recognize their characters or such in bl publications?
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Remerez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:59 pm

I think - let me just say that again :D - I think it was there. Most probably in the user agreement. But then I only read that the first time I joined, which would have been back in... err... 2003/4, maybe.

Of course it may not have been there in the first place and I've imagined the whole thing.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
Remerez

Postby The Hillock » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I have a reluctance to create another thread for so similar a topic, so I beg your forgiveness while I change the direction of the thread AGAIN with a related question. Given that, as per the above, if something is on a forum it is considered published, where does background material fit into the equation?

For example, if I'm writing small pieces to set the tone and nature of my chapter up, would that then prohibit me from using said chapter (and referring to said background) in a submission? Or would it be OK, as long as I didn't re-use any of the actual elements of the narrative I'd posted?

Answers on a postcard (or even better, as replies in this thread, it's your call).

Wrathyface
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I haven't read Primary Instinct yet but I do believe that Pyro used Gileas Urten and his assault squad that she developed for a collaborative fanfic on the bolthole for that short story. From what I generally understand of this, you can use whatever background you have already established and/or put out there on a blog or a forum as long as the material you want to get published by BL is not that.

shadowhawk2008

Postby The Hillock » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:04 pm

That was my understanding (and hope) too. Cheers pal.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works