Found a new cool author.

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Found a new cool author.

Postby Therion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:58 am

Benjanun Sriduangkaew.

She writes weird science fiction. Very daring purple prose.

This one seems to be inspired by Wh40k a bit:
http://futurefire.net/2012.24/fiction/machinegods.html

More her stories:
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/author/ ... duangkaew/
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Re: Found a new cool author.

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:58 pm

I dunno, when such "daring prose" translates into real-world as the whole Requires Hate/Winterfox scandal, a careful evaluation is needed before diving in.

Edit: Decided to provide some links to such, for folks not in the know. Here is a SFWA summary of some recent Requires Hate stuff, and a broader overview of some of the situation and ramifications of the whole affair.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:I dunno, when such "daring prose" translates into real-world as the whole Requires Hate/Winterfox scandal, a careful evaluation is needed before diving in.

Well, for better or for worse, I'm still inclined to segregate works of the art from the artist and evaluate them (as best I can) separately.

That said, and having only had a quick skim, for the second time today, I'm forced to say: fascinating!

(and use this gif)

"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:20 am

Xisor wrote:Well, for better or for worse, I'm still inclined to segregate works of the art from the artist and evaluate them (as best I can) separately.

Some degree of evaluating work on its own merit is vitally important, I think: especially with the whole issue of authorial intent vs reader experience of the work, etc, in addition to how it's relevant to this particular scenario.

Still, I'm hesitant to buy the works of an author who has been engaged in long-term crappy behavior including up to quite recently, for all that they claim to have changed, or to want to change. They might well write some really compelling and interesting stuff--but to buy their work is to tacitly support and reward their behavior.

It's a knotty issue, certainly, and there are all sorts of valid personal interpretations of such situations.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:28 am

Courtship in the Country of Machine-Gods wrote:In the shadow of machine-gods I tell wayfarers of a time where my people was a nightmare the color of hemorrhage and glinting teeth.

Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Therion » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:I dunno, when such "daring prose" translates into real-world as the whole Requires Hate/Winterfox scandal, a careful evaluation is needed before diving in.

Edit: Decided to provide some links to such, for folks not in the know. Here is a SFWA summary of some recent Requires Hate stuff, and a broader overview of some of the situation and ramifications of the whole affair.

I knew her from RPGCodex. Sadly she decided to distance herself from the community and blocks people from there on sight.

I have about 30 of her Requires Hate blog entries saved on my HDD. Among them two glowing reviews of Dan Abnett's Wh40k novels :D .
She started the whole Requires Hate blog a few months after reading Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier. Makes me wonder if she was influenced by the philosophy of Night Lords like I was. Though before that she already had some interesting ideas. For example a year before that one dude told her that she should be gang-raped and then she told him that he should be first and that having broken glass showed up his orifices would build up his character.
I have found that reply quite delightful :D .

[REDACTED]

<3

I think these two echo the Konrad Curze's philosophy a bit :D .

Mossy Toes wrote:Still, I'm hesitant to buy the works of an author who has been engaged in long-term crappy behavior including up to quite recently,

Most of her stories are free. I bought her novella, though, to support her in hard times. Haven't read it yet, though.
Last edited by Therion on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Xisor » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:48 pm

The hard times of a troll must be hard indeed.

Y'all need to let the saviour into your lives.

Spoiler: Cegorach, that is. Much more enchanting than old misery-guts Commander Kurze.

---

Still, as I said before - fascinating.

"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby J D Dunsany » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:03 pm

David Earle wrote:
Courtship in the Country of Machine-Gods wrote:In the shadow of machine-gods I tell wayfarers of a time where my people was a nightmare the color of hemorrhage and glinting teeth.

Erm... that should be "my people were", surely? Nice image, mind you...
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby David Earle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:59 am

Yes, it should be "were". That was the first sentence in Courtship in the Country of Machine-Gods, and it's what the "Nope" button was made for. :lol:
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Therion » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Here is her Twitter:
https://twitter.com/talkinghive

David Earle wrote:Yes, it should be "were". That was the first sentence in Courtship in the Country of Machine-Gods, and it's what the "Nope" button was made for. :lol:

I guess she has bad luck with editors, or something. Or no editors D: .
Therion

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works