Storium.

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Storium.

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... lling-game

Storium is an online storytelling game.

It is essentially a more formalised and gamed up set up of the group stories we do here by all accounts. It has a kickstarter already funded to the extent that lots of proper authors are creating worlds for people to tell stories in and with and a beta running that those who are backers (or are invited into games run by people already on the beta) can join.

I'm enjoying the beta so far, it is a nice place to stretch my creative muscles. Thought it may be of interest.
schaferwhat‽

Re: Storium.

Postby VictorK » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:26 am

Is MUSHing so dead that people need to reinvent it as a quasi-card game?
"The gods are not all powerful, they cannot erase the past." -Agathon
VictorK

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Maybe, can't say the term MUSHing is ringing any bells for me (google suggests it involves Huskies, I think you may mean something else).

The game needs some kinks working out, limiting amount of cards played in a scene as the narrator is pretty passive in their ability to shape things.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Athelassan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm

I hadn't heard of MUSH specifically until a couple of years ago, but the concept is fairly familiar: basically it's a roleplaying game (specifically, in all cases I'm aware of, an online RPG) with the emphasis on co-operative storytelling more than anything else.

I can't really comment on the health or otherwise of MUSH as a "thing", being an outsider to it. But maybe that's part of it: awareness of it is so low, even within communities with a bent towards roleplaying, that the "demand" for that style of play is looking for other ways to accomplish the same things.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby VictorK » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:29 am

MUD/MUX/MUCK/MUSH/MOO etc. Generally just refers to the codebase. They're text-based RP games, ranging from simple DnD clones to elaborate settings focused almost entirely on collaborative storytelling. Back in the late 90s-mid-2000s was probably the golden age. They were the MMOs before there were MMOs.

So it's just a tad amusing to me to see someone basically selling the MUSH concept (you can't even sell them these days!) but restricting it with cards.
VictorK

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:43 am

I played MUDS but they were more sprawling MMO type affairs. This is more constricted like traditional role playing, having a games master, manage a select group of people as they tell a story together using game mechanics to provoke things and get things going. I'm currently writing the first scene for two games I'm running each has 6 players signed up (my pulp adventure premise seemed to get lots of requests to join so I cloned it and am running two alternate realities with the same start point but different players and characters (I may kill off alternates in each reality in my narration) so it could go different places). The card mechanic is an odd one but it does sort of forces hands so that things happen and will be moved on from rather than having different people who have different ideas trying to pull the story in various directions and making it a mess.
schaferwhat‽

Postby VictorK » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 am

I'm glad people are enjoying it, don't get me wrong. It's just strange to see essentially the same idea repackaged.
VictorK

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works