Third War for Armageddon Novel Possibility

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Third War for Armageddon Novel Possibility

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:01 am

Hey guy's, i've had a bunch of idea's and things bouncing around in my head and have already written a few shorts for characters that could be part of a novel. I was just wondering, i've noticed neither BL nor GW have really done anything revolving around Armageddon (or at least Guardsmen fighting there: i belive there are quite a few astartes novels). GW seems to have phased out the steel legion soldiers too. If i were to write/have written a book based on the aftermath of the 3rd war there, would it be shot down because thats not the direction that GW is going at the moment?
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Re: Third War for Armageddon Novel Possibility

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 am

I doubt it'd be shot down because of that. GW has a trend of "retiring" model lines now when they stop selling so much and have shifted stuff webwise rather than store based which doesn't help.

The main rope you have to walk is to fit the "narrative" of the campaign but be sparse with handling the bigger events/characters yourself.

It should be doable.
schaferwhat‽

Postby narrativium » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 am

Couple of thoughts:
one - while Helsreach is mostly focused on the Black Templars' actions during the Third War for Armageddon, the Steel Legion are amply represented. So Black Library aren't shying away from the event or the factions involved.

two - I'm wary of your premise. Armageddon's a big place and the Third War was a big GW event, set right at the end of the 41st Millennium. I admit I don't know enough about the war to be sure it's actually over, but I'd be hesitant to set a story in its aftermath while it remains a good setting for tabletop battles. Offhand I'd wonder whether setting your story in the aftermath of the Second War (as I think Gunheads is) might be equally good for your purposes. But then... Cadia's struggles in the Thirteenth Black Crusade didn't prevent Aaron Dembski-Bowden from taking a regiment out of the event for Cadian Blood.

So... like schafe says, it's not an automatic reason to shoot the story down. You just have to make sure it fits.
narrativium

Postby Xisor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Timeline is the only serious concern in my eyes here (everything else is a superb bonus: Armageddon's an exceptionally rich seem for story telling, hundreds of Astartes chapters represented, thousands of Guard regiments, Inquisition Kill-Teams, intrigue, most-powerful-known-Ork, also Orkimedes etc.) as, as Narry said, Armageddon3 happens right up close to the turnover to M42. Indeed, it's only a year or two before the 13th Black Crusade, so setting in the 'aftermath' of the Third War is perhaps not the best idea.

Setting it in the aftermath of the Second War (the first ork war), or, more obscurely, in the aftermath of the First War (where the whole planet's population was moved off-world to be purged by the Adeptus Terra, much to Logan Grimnar's consternation) seems a more credible place to story-tell.

There's also Jonathan Green's Crusade/Battle for Armageddon books (which I've not read myself) and Gav Thorpe's third Last Chancers book which deal with Armageddon on top of Aaron's Helsreach.

As said, the only issue I see is the timing 'after' the Third War, otherwise it's probably a Good Thing that stands you in good stead. Armageddon is cool!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks for the feed back guys. As with the whole "aftermath" thing, my mistake. I was under the impression that the war (at the end of the 41st melenium) had stagnated, Thrakka had left the planet, Yarrick had gone after him. Now the main conflict is a stalemate on the surface right? Thats what i was referring to in aftermath.
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works