The Bolthole Writer's Fair Official Thread

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

The Bolthole Writer's Fair Official Thread

Postby He2etic » Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 pm

The Bolthole Writers’ Fair

What’s it about? Every year, novice writers tell themselves that this is the year they’ll be focusing more on their writing career. And like a New Year’s Resolution, they cling to it for about a week until the job, kids and friends drag them back into the abyss of a “normal life.”

The horror.

Simply put, it’s a challenge to help get yourself out there. For the never-been-published, this is the chance to try. For those who want to expand their meager bibliography, this is definitely for you. This is not really for people who intend to write for self gratification or to fill Amazon with self-published yarns, but those who want to be published by their peers.

The BWF starts today, May 1st. Rules are pretty basic:

1) Take 10 to 15 minutes a day to browse the internet for announcements of new submission windows. If you find any, share them on the Bolthole.

2) Pick a publisher you want from the list and write. Write 1,000 new words a day, focusing on flash fiction or short stories. Thus you should pump out roughly 5 to 6 new short stories before the month’s up. Do note that words written towards the upcoming Black Library submission window do not count, as this is about writing in general, and not Games Workshop (although we do love their work).

3) You can proof during the fair, but it doesn’t count towards your 1,000 words a day. If there’s time, you should leave proofing until after May.

4) Don’t submit crap. This is not a race or NaNoWriMo. Finish your drafts, then proof and submit according to the publisher guidelines after the BWF. If the due date is during May, prioritize it, but don’t fall behind on doing your new 1,000 words a day.

What do you get for participating? Well, you craft a few new short stories and will have publishers you can submit against. We’ll also be hosting a short series of interviews of various small print editors and publishers to help you pick out what they’re looking for. You can also sign up to receive a daily boot up the ass email to help you stay focused.

Post your email addresses and found submission windows here. Do your best fellas and good luck!
Last edited by He2etic on Thu May 02, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He2etic

Re: The Bolthole Writer's Fair Official Thread

Postby He2etic » Wed May 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Alright guys, I have some easier fruit today to get you started.

For those of you who haven't heard, Fox Spirit is looking for stories for their Fox Pocket series. What many people haven't realized is that the submission windows are already open.

Fox Spirit is looking for stories from around 2k to a maximum of 4k words in length, set around one of the following themes: Missing Monarchs, Guardians, Under the Waves, In an Unknown Country, Things in the Dark, The Evil Genius Guide, Reflections, Piercing the Veil.

Piracy and Shapeshifters have already closed.

You can submit the stories already. Overtime, Fox Spirit will start adding the deadline dates, so check back and keep an eye out for when they close. A 2k flash fiction tale is a great way to start the BWF, as writing a story in as little as two days would be a great confidence booster and help you stay focused.
He2etic

Postby Tyrant » Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I've already submitted four (one for Shapeshifters), and am working on a fifth now, with a sixth to be started after that. The next window to shut is Guardians on the 19th; so if you have an idea for that, get writing it now as I am.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby He2etic » Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Ohh, thanks for the heads up! Guess I know where to focus my work now.
He2etic

Postby Tyrant » Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm following Fox Spirit on twitter; it's worth doing the same as the website is a bit out of date at the moment until she catches up post-holiday.

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

Tyrant

Postby Erunanion » Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 am

My initial enthusiasm for the BWF has taken a bit of a knock, as my Mac has up and died. I suspect it is a graphics card problem, which is out of my price range to fix at the moment, so I guess it is back to hand-writing stories for me (which actually might not be a bad idea).

However, last night I wrote out all the titles of stories that I have half-started etc; I mean to complete them all over the course of this year, and the BWF will certainly help me get going.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby He2etic » Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Yeouch, Erunanion, a 1,000 hand written words a day will kill your hand. Hmmmm... did you try a visual cable to another monitor? Maybe that can get around the problem.
He2etic

Postby He2etic » Thu May 02, 2013 2:00 pm

I found an interesting one. Year round open Carve Magazine offers $20 to $50 for accepted stories, no minimum but a max of 10,000 words. But check out their unusual REJECT! program.

They seem to be focused on general fiction, so you may want to buy a copy to read before submitting.
He2etic

Postby Tyrant » Thu May 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Cracked today's 1,000 word mark. With the deadline for submission barely two weeks away, tomorrow is going to be devoted to finishing the story off and reviewing it before it goes to my beta-reader.

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

Tyrant

Postby LordLucan » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Carve magazine have an odd ficiton stipulation:

No genre fiction; literary fiction only.

Now what does this mean? I've never read a genre-less story, and surely it's not up to an author to determine whetehr their fiction is 'literary'? Do they just want stories set int he here and now, only about 'real' things, or stories which meditate on the human condition, and have no desire for speculation upon how things may change or theoretical situations which don't or can't exist at the moment? Do stories have to be impossible to catalogue as a single genre, like romance or horror or political thrillers or speculative fiction or naturalist historical fiction, or the countless other genre labels we have developed?

Of course, I know what they actually mean (no sci-fi/fantasy/horror), but I dislike the way they have worded it, as their is a vague hint of snobbery in there; as if 'genre fiction' can have no value as a literary work. They want stories with honesty and 'emotional jeopardy', but what us to tell genreless, generic stories?

What they mean is, they want stories set in contemporary planet earth, with focus upon emotional honesty and real-world issues. That's a brief which seems clearer and far less patronising.

Sorry for the rant, but that single line in the submissions brief annoys me so much, as a writer and as an English graduate.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby LordLucan » Thu May 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Tyrant wrote:Cracked today's 1,000 word mark. With the deadline for submission barely two weeks away, tomorrow is going to be devoted to finishing the story off and reviewing it before it goes to my beta-reader.

Good going Tyrant! I wish I had a beta reader.

Oh, incidentally, I sent off my sci fi story to Daily Science Fiction. We'll see how this goes; that'd be a nice publication to add to my publicaiton portfolio. They say they favour shorter stories, but hopefully 4,600 words isn't too great a hurdle (it's not flash ficiton, but its shorter than a good many stories published elsewhere).
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby He2etic » Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm

He2etic wrote:Yeouch, Erunanion, a 1,000 hand written words a day will kill your hand. Hmmmm... did you try a visual cable to another monitor? Maybe that can get around the problem.

For some reason, I thought you had an laptop. Do you have a salvageable graphics card in the mean time, or does the motherboard come with a video slot?
He2etic

Postby Raziel4707 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Well, managed 1000 words yesterday and 1000 words today, just over on both days in fact and of a better quality than what I've been doing recently. Very happy and enthused about this here thang!

Horror Tree.com

This is today's find, it's a US small publication but it's a publication none the less.
Raziel4707

Postby Tim the Corsair » Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 am

I edited down an old submission I recently got back (rejected with feedback). I deleted about 1500 words and wrote 1000ish new ones, so I'm going to count it haha

Definitely a much leaner story now, and one I think is pretty close to publishable. Sent off to my beta readers, and after a last edit when I get it back I think I might just submit it to Tor and see what happens.

Tonight I'll be beginning work on rewriting my semi-completed post-apocalyptic spy novel and probably going back to a partially written story set in the same 'universe' as my two published stories (well, one soon to be published)
Tim the Corsair

Postby He2etic » Fri May 03, 2013 4:47 am

Keep it up, fellas. Keep it up.
He2etic

Postby LordLucan » Fri May 03, 2013 3:05 pm

2000 words added to my novel, This Weapon Earth, over the past two days, so I'm counting that as my daily allowance for the moment (though I have some ideas for another short story, tentatively titled 'Vanquisher'...)
LordLucan

Postby Tyrant » Fri May 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Finsihed my story and sent it off for review. It's been a very productive three days!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

Tyrant

Postby He2etic » Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Got a strange submission window. They want SF/F, and they want it about families... particularly, unusual families of mixed culture, women, LGBT... and it must adhere to a rotating theme. Very esoteric, but you can check it out here.

P.S. They pay standard rate too. Word length 1k to 6k, firm limit.
He2etic

Postby Tyrant » Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 am

Writing rules that are worth breaking:

http://www.matthaig.com/ten-writing-rules-to-break/

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

Tyrant

Postby Tim the Corsair » Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 am

I am really struggling to find any new publishing opportunities so far, so I guess I'll once again recommend Tim Marquitz's new Urban Fantasy anthology: http://tmarquitz.com/blog/?p=1131

This is being published by Angelic Knight Press and the window closes on the 15th of this month.

I can definitely recommend Tim and AKP as being cool to work with.
Tim the Corsair

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works