Fireside Magazine Year Two Submission Guidelines

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Fireside Magazine Year Two Submission Guidelines

Postby David Earle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Per email I received for backing this magazine for another year:

Fireside Magazine wrote:Fireside will be opening to submissions for flash fiction on March 15. We plan on staying open at least until May 1, and will give two weeks' notice before we close the window. We will post the address to send stories to on our submissions page on the 15th (and we'll send out a reminder here).

We are not looking for longer stories at this time. We expect to have a submissions window for that in the second half of 2013.

Lengths and payment

Fireside is seeking original flash fiction of 1,000 words or less. (Firm limit.) We pay 12.5 cents per word, with payment on completion of edits. We buy first world publication rights and six-month exclusivity, as well as the right to use the story in a Fireside anthology.

What we are looking for

Fireside's goal is to publish great storytelling, regardless of genre. What do we mean by great storytelling? We want stories that go somewhere, that keep readers asking, as Neil Gaiman put it in the introduction to his Stories anthology: “… and then what happened?”

We're not looking for character studies or metafiction or hallucinatory visions. (We LIKE those things; it's just not what we publish in Fireside.)

And yes, we seriously mean any genre. We have published sci-fi, horror, crime, near-future, and straight modern non-speculative fiction. The stories have all been terrific, and we are looking for more of those genres and from the many genres we haven't explored. Just tell us a good story.

Vague? A little. But we think it's exciting, too. No two issues of Fireside will have the same feel, and we hope that makes every issue a little more surprising. If you're not quite sure if your story fits, please send it and our editors can decide.

What about sex, violence, and cussing?

Sexual content is ok, but we are not a market for erotica. We are also fine with profanity and violence.

What we aren't looking for

Comics. Poetry. Non-fiction. Fan fiction. Simultaneous submissions.

Response times

We are aiming to respond within 30 days.

More questions?

If there's something I haven't addressed here, please feel free to email me at brian@firesidemag.com. (Please do NOT send submissions here. Any stories sent to this address will be rejected unread.)

In case anyone's interested. :) I'm planning to come up with something after I read through a few back issues.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Re: Fireside Magazine Year Two Submission Guidelines

Postby Bloodsage » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:27 am

That's a tough format--good luck!
Bloodsage

Re: Fireside Magazine Year Two Submission Guidelines

Postby Erunanion » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I meant to post this; many thanks David.

I will certainly be submitting a story for this.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works