What's your favourite YA Novel? [Authors/Bloggers Wanted]

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

What's your favourite YA Novel? [Authors/Bloggers Wanted]

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:13 pm

http://baneofkingswritingblog.wordpress ... t-request/

Basically, I've decided to open a new guest post series, which you can find on the above link, which asks the question: What's Your Favourite YA book? Anyone can write a guest post for it as long as they have a book-related blog or have a published book (self-published authors included) or have an upcoming (IE, in 2013) book that is not self published. If you're interested, head over to my site for the full article.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Re: What's your favourite YA Novel? [Authors/Bloggers Wanted

Postby Jelboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Dont have time for a formatted blog post. But I'd consider the following as cool YA books (in no particular order of preference):

Hobbit
Hunger Games (bk1)
Harry Potter Series (particularly bk3)
LOTR
Book Thief
Dark material series
Lord of the Flies
Earthsea series
Treasure Island
Enders Game
mortal engines
Jelboy

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:59 pm

I'd agree with all of those (though I have to take your word for regarding The Book Thief), and add the Larklight trilogy (same guy as wot dun the Mortal Engines). I'd also add the A Series of Unfortunate Events books, too.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby groovysl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:03 pm

I'd add Diane Duane's Young Wizard series as well, and Diana Wynn Jones's Chrestomanci.
groovysl

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Some great suggestions here, covering most of the bases. Missed two of my absolute favorites growing up, though:

- The Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner
- The Bartimaeus series, by Jonathan Stroud

Oh, then there was Redwall, I guess, but that was more the air that I breathed than a favorite series.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Bane Of Kings » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 am

Here's the first contribution to the guest post, we have Mieneke from the A Fantastical Librarian blog (Link on the Guest Post): http://baneofkingswritingblog.wordpress ... uest-post/.
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Argel Tal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Another vote here for the Mortal Engines books. Mind shatteringly awesome stuff.....
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Fifty Shades of Geek - reviews, interviews and features covering the whole realm of geek based entertainment, from comic books to films and everything inbetween. See the site at www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org, follow us on twitter @shadesofgeek and join in with the community www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek
Argel Tal

Postby Ghurlag » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Extra votes here for (in no particular order):
Bartimaeus (A delightful world and charming main character)
The Hobbit (a grand classic for the young)
Harry Potter (perfectly tuned for youths to grow up with, even if Harry is a bit whiny.)
His Dark Materials (A bloody awesome series, packed with maturation themes)
Earthsea (Wizards, dragons, shades - need I say more?)

Seeing as I've read it recently, I may as well suggest Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, and in a similar vein, The Jungle Book by Kipling.

I think I've read Mortal Engines but I can't for the life of me remember what I thought of it. Also, I might be getting it confused with The Edge Chronicles, something which should probably be on this list as well, though I was perhaps a little old to properly enjoy them when I read them.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm

The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer is quite entertaining, too...
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I've outgrown the genre of YA, really, but my friends a few years younger than me absolutely swear by John Green—Paper Towns, The Fault In Our Stars, etc. I'm a big fan of John Green-as-Nerdfighter (along with his brother and fellow YouTube celebrity Hank Green—by all their powers combined, they are the vlogbrothers! DFTBA!), so I'd feel remiss in not mentioning him here.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Bane Of Kings » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Here's the second contribution of the Guest Post, Leo Cristea, from Fantasy Faction & Jet Blank Ink, another blogger, shares his thoughts on his favourite YA book (series). It's a good read: http://baneofkingswritingblog.wordpress ... uest-post/.
Bane Of Kings

Postby Bane Of Kings » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 am

Here's the third contribution, by Leo Cristea's brother, Alek, who talks about his favourite YA Series, Harry Potter: http://baneofkingswritingblog.wordpress.com/.
Bane Of Kings

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works