So, what fiction are you writing at the moment?

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

So, what fiction are you writing at the moment?

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Basically what the title says. It can be anything from any media, just let us know what your current WIP is.

Mine has the tentative title of The Future Is Now, and it's a young adult sci-fi Space Opera inspired largely by Firefly and the X-Men, but not just superheroes in the Firefly-verse.

And I'm also currently toying around with writing a TV script for a drama similar to Doctor Who, only more urban fantasy with the rough title Nightwatch inspired from loads of other works. Nothing'll probably come of both, but they'll be fun to write.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Re: So, what fiction are you writing at the moment?

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Butcher Boy. It's mainly set in another dimension -reachable from a gateway on Mars- where meat is mined. It might be a love story - we'll just have to see how they get on.
Last edited by Chun the Unavoidable on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby He2etic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Finishing a sci-fi piece that is a psychological mix of Memento, Inception, Ghost in the Shell and Black Swan... with robots. Don't ask how. I just did. I plan to finish it and get it to the publishers no later than Monday.

I want to do the sword and mythos anthology. But time is slipping.

I have to finish reviewing LL's story for the Marching Time anthology as well as finish rewriting my own.

Finally, I have ideas for two full novels. Both are various grades of political & crime thrillers. One involves a cult within the US Government. The other involves an American foreigner in India- although that one probably won't be started until next year at this rate and will require tremendous amounts of research.

Although I'm excited about starting these stories, I have to leave wiggle room to write more short stories as anthologies pop up. I still have to jump at any chance to get my name out there.
He2etic

Postby David Earle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I finished the first draft of... Something To Be Titled earlier this month (my working title sucks and the replacement may not work). It's a tale of a boy and his evil spirit setting out to overthrow a kingdom run by insane liches. It's a NaNoNovel, 80,000 words at the moment. I've got a lot of retroactive worldbuilding and mapping to do so I can get on with the second draft, likely in February.

Aside from that, I had an idea for a 1,000 word Warhammer Fantasy shortie last night that I might jot down. If nothing else it'll amuse me. :D
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Erunanion » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I invariably have several things going on at any one time, because I am a dilettante.

I'm at the beginning of a real-world story about kids who "bus"; riding buses around big cities all night so they can avoid begin homeless or going home.

I've been asked by a friend to write the story for his Firefly Android game, which will likely be a lot of fun.

I've got some subs in with BL that I will probably finish for the fun of it (or because, you know, dreams come true... :mrgreen:)

That's it for the moment, I think. Recently I've found my thoughts turning to WFB, maybe something Chaos Dwarf-y. But that is for when these are done.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Dabbling in a bit of "industrial nation's fleet versus leviathans of the deep" fiction. Also continuing to edge my way around the series of generation ark stories I want to tell--I really need to dive into writing those properly, one of these days.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby VictorK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Not writing anything at the moment. My schedule has been a little disrupted. I need to finish editing the second half of Lady of Mercy, and then sweep that whole project under the rug.

I've wanted to get started on an original fantasy idea for some time. Though I've also been reading US Grant's memoirs which has been taking me in a 40k direction. Who knows. Always more ideas than writing.
"The gods are not all powerful, they cannot erase the past." -Agathon
VictorK

Postby Hercule Pyro » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Some background for a game idea I've been toying with for the last few days. Right now, it seems awfully close to the end of the Macharian Crusade and the start of the Macharian Heresy. But that's the basic idea and justification for both sides having the same options and choices, if only to make balance easier.
"Holy HP Lovecraft spinning through the thirteen abyssal planes on a propane grill!"
Hercule Pyro

Postby Tim the Corsair » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 am

My NaNoWriMo novel, which is at about 70,000 words currently and is the story of a British spy sent to Australia on a simple 'pick-up the case' mission of redemption, only to get gunned down and blamed for the subsequent nuclear apocalypse that destroys the nation and possibly the world. It's a first person sort-of-thriller, and I have realised that, based upon the rate my plot is currently advancing,will end up being about 500,000 words.

Needless to say, I'm having a rethink about where I want to go with it, and whether it can maybe be broken down into two or three book ideas while still remaining satisfying.

Apart from that, I am working on an Urban Fantasy short for submission Tim Marquitz's new anthology which is, in brief, about drug-dealing fallen angels in the near future. It loosely ties into the story I had published in his last anthology, and into the vague mythos I have created around the eternal War for Heaven.

I am also working on a short story that I've had the idea for for ages, which revolves around an attack on an inn by the undead. It begins with a character dying and winds back and forth through time and perspectives. I'm pretty proud of the idea and the twists in this one, but I just need to finish it. It also ties into a large fantasy world idea I have been working on for a long time, and is designed to establish a character I will use in a supporting role in a novel in the future.
Tim the Corsair

Postby Catalyst1980 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 am

Working on a first draft for the Marching Time anthology.

Also working on a few that I may or may not boot in the direction of Analog.
One can only progress through conflict, else stagnation prevails.

This way to salvation...
Catalyst1980

Postby Athelassan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

I am working (fsdo "working" on):

A Marching Time first draft.
Friends in High Places, a WHF fanfic. Nearly finished with only one or two chapters to go.
An as-yet untitled "sequel" to the above.
The Imperial Almanack (still a long way off completion, despite my lofty promises last year).
Various spot articles and jokey things for my fantasy BB league.
Particulars of Claim for an imaginary client (meh, it counts as fiction...)

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Malius » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:21 am

I'm currently working on the first draft for my Marching Time story.

I've also got an Iron Hands story on the back-burner at the moment.
<Insert poignant quote here>
My blog
Malius

Postby Xisor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 am

It's not quite fiction, but I'm cogitating (researching by thought experiment, often just by thought) on writing pieces concerning:

- Games of Battlefleet Gothic during the Horus Heresy era.
- The Tau Empire in the 40k Roleplaying Games
- An odd little skirmish game somewhat derived from an idea I had re:Marching Time
- 'Fan fiction' based on the work of Graham McNeill, largely injecting what I think there isn't enough of. I suppose it's a bit like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but Graham has started with the zombies and I think of myself as adding the pride and the prejudice...

Whether any of these'll see anything fruitful... Well. Consider how many things you've actually seen me output. Probably along that order of magnitude.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 am

You're an ideas man xisor. I'm sure you just need a word monkey to translate them into prose/solid piece sof work. :lol:
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 am

I should've been writing up stuff for the Lore website relaunch, instead after the thread about what books/series I'd like to see I've been reading up on and going over aborted drafts of the space wolves story idea with the view for making it fan fiction.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 am

LordLucan wrote:You're an ideas man xisor. I'm sure you just need a word monkey to translate them into prose/solid piece sof work. :lol:

Pfft! What's wrong with this:

Xisor scribbled...
Por Offices: Communication grids, extended network & records access, psychological profiling and counselling facilities, hatcheries and/or egg storage.
Kor Lighter Bay: 3 Tau Stickleback Shuttles, 1 Interplanetary Yacht, 1 Orca Drop Ship. Recreational facilities.
Kor Command Deck: Control of a Kir'qath starship! Missile drone waves! 20cm speed! 45-degree turns! Railgun command! Deflector shields! Warp dive drive! Fleet communications!
Ethereal's Hermitage: Celestial Beacon (limited technical communion with T'au or other appropriate Septworld), symbol(s) of office, luminous amulet (field defence).

That's right, nothing at all!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works