Getting back into 40k

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Getting back into 40k

Postby Boris » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:06 pm

I have searched arounfd for a subject a bit like this and had not found one, so I thought I'd ask; as the title suggests.

How do I get back into writing 40K?

To put it into context I've been away for 99% of the time from July, come back, found notes, attempted to read them and had nothing to spark them. I've read Enforcer, 13th Legion, Kill Team and a couple of Sharpe Books whilst away and still have nothing firing.

Whats the best course of action, to actually just write something random or to sit with relevant stuff, go through it and see if anything is sparked back up?

Cheers guys, Merry Xmas!
Boris

Re: Getting back into 40k

Postby Rob P » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 pm

For me, the best inspiration comes from the codexes (codices - whatever!) and army books. Whether it be an event, a little detail about a unit or a character that really sticks out. Obviously, lexicanum is a good substitute.

Also the occasional documentary (war or history usually) can give you the idea for a character or event. I find the American Civil War to be full of interesting characters that translate well to the 40k setting.

edit: and Merry Xmas to you too. (I forget my manners)
Rob P

Postby narrativium » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 pm

If you've been reading for a while and haven't thought of anything, keep reading. Or read something else. Or do something else. I find a lot of inspiring things occur to me when I'm driving, possibly because I have no ability to take notes; the pressure's off.
narrativium

Postby Boris » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Cheers guys.

I'll have a look through the Guard Codex and see about that, if in doubt I'll just see what occurs and when.
Boris

Postby Kasrkin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Try checking out the timeline in the 40k rulebook (6th edition). It's a veritable treasure trove of events both great and small throughout the Age of the Imperium. Many of them don't even exist in the lore aside from the brief snippets mentioned here, so are pretty wide open as far as storytelling goes.
Kasrkin

Postby Dorns Padawan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 am

What I did when I struggled was to read completely off topic - no sci fi of any kind. I read POV books about the last Empress of China by Anchee Min, Sniper One by Sgt Dan Mills - stuff away from what I wanted to write & I have to admit it certainly game me some great ideas.

Reading Sharpe is good, anything away from 40K is actually good. Got that bit of advice from John French as the BLL last year. I am reading some of the older stuff at the mo, Starship Troopers, The Forever War, God Emperor of Dune.

Read away from 40K & believe me you will round off some great ideas & cracking visual ideas for settings & tones. Patricia Cornwell is another author worth checking out to broaden your ideas. Hope that helps in some way.
Dorns Padawan

Postby Boris » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Cheers,

Got myself a rook of books to go back with. Don't we love Christmas for them?
Boris

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works