New Bolthole Anthology: Marching Time

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

New Bolthole Anthology: Marching Time

Postby narrativium » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm

It's finally here! Our second anthology begins here!

MARCHING TIME
A Bolthole Anthology

Theme:
War stories with a time travel aspect.

It seems likely that you’ve pitched to Black Library before. You've at least read what they do. You know what war stories are.

How This Will Work:
Pretty much as The Black Winds Whispers did. The finished anthology will be an eBook, made available from Amazon. The pay structure will be percentage-based, as it was with The Black Winds Whispers; this is subject to how many stories get accepted, but we may carry stories over to a second volume if this anthology proves popular.

The final stories will be between 1,500 and 10,000 words long. Original work only. Be conservative with regard to sex, violence, language and gore.

We’re looking for a publication date of late spring, early summer 2013.

What We Want:
Imagine the wars which would or could occur if time travel were possible. Now write about them.

Time travel is a device. You can feel free to come up with your own form of time travel for this anthology – just as we invented cars, trains and canals to travel across land, we can invent diverse forms of time travel. By all means, invent military-grade time machines, or apply restrictions (e.g. you can only travel within your own lifetime, or that it’s not instantaneous to the traveller). This is no guarantee that anyone who uses the technology knows how/why it works, of course.

And as soon as it exists, it’s used by soldiers and revolutionaries. Terrorist groups who will change things to suit them. Governments who felt history didn’t go their own way. Conservatives who will do anything to maintain the temporal status quo. Second-class citizens who believe history has already been violated to keep them down.

We want war stories. We can’t emphasise that enough.

We want alternative histories which are still alternating. We want character stories about the people who go into battle, and the weapons of paradox they wield, and the consequences of a world where effect can negate cause.

Yes, you can pit the Roman Legions against the dinosaurs. Yes, you can find out who would win between cavemen and astronauts. So long as there’s a character story in there.

Since the whole of continuity becomes a question, there’s no requirement for all or any of the stories to tie together, though if we feel that some stories would benefit from connected material, we may contact the authors involved.

Questions Which Might Inspire Stories:
How does a battle evolve when reinforcements can retroactively appear at any moment?

What does a mourner do, when the names on the tombstones in the cemetery change every second?

If you could go back to the army academy, and train your younger self and the squad who died around you in battle, could you change the outcome of that battle?

What happens to military intelligence when history isn’t a constant? Are there psychological consequences to remembering other timelines?

What We Don’t Want:
Stories which revolve around the technology, rather than the characters who use it. (Though by all means be inventive with your time travel rules.)

Stories where the conflicts are resolved by technological solutions – you can’t just destroy the time machine to prevent what’s happening now. Your stories should be about the cost in blood.

Stories which revolve around the invention of time travel. Sure, every faction wants to be the only game in town, and of course they'll make efforts to prevent each others’ attempts to change history, but don’t focus on ‘event zero’. We want stories which explore the consequences and chaos of time travel warfare, where the very idea of a beginning should be inconceivable.

On The Other Hand:
If it’s an awesome story, then we can make room.

Submission Process and Deadlines:
Initially we want the basic pitch: the story in a nutshell, a ‘blurb’ paragraph if you like. About 100 words in length, preferably no more than 200. Don’t post it here on the forum, or anywhere online. Email me at: narrativium[at]gmail[dot]com. Include the words ‘Marching Time’ in your subject line, and mention your Bolthole username somewhere in the email.

The deadline for this is January 2nd 2013, or until we have too many awesome stories, whichever is sooner. A reserve list will be kept in case early acceptees suffer any retroactive accidents. I will endeavour to reply to emails alertly.

If your pitch is accepted, you will be asked to write a complete first draft by the end of February.

Any questions?
If you have any questions, by all means use this thread to ask them.
narrativium

Re: New Bolthole Anthology: Marching Time

Postby J D Dunsany » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Pitch sent.

:)

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Tyrant » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Question: is there any restriction on the world this can be set on? In other words, can time machines be used to wage deadly wars out among the stars?
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby narrativium » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 am

Good question. No, you're not restricted to 'real' or 'alternative' history; yes, you can play with future events as well, with all the future geography and technology that offers.

I think it might be easier to create a sense of anachronism if you use some form of historical element, but that's not a requirement.
narrativium

Postby Squiggle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

I'm in! :D
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby kurisawa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 am

Original "worlds" only? IE no Warhammer/40K universe stories?

(Ok, that might be a stupid question. It's my first time at this)
kurisawa

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 am

An interesting theme: I wish all involved the very best of luck with it.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby narrativium » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 am

kurisawa wrote:Original "worlds" only? IE no Warhammer/40K universe stories?

Your assumption is correct. This isn't a tie-in anthology; stick to your own worlds.

If you want to use a universe you own, e.g. use characters you've created and intend to go on using elsewhere, that ought to fine too, so long as the story is original and doesn't assume prior knowledge of the universe. I'll have to verify what the model used in The Black Winds Whispers was, but I'm pretty sure we're only dealing in first publication rights, not owning the story or the characters you pitch. I'll get an answer on this.
narrativium

Postby Tyrant » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am

My first idea is away. Will still work on others in case it doesn't make the cut though!
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby He2etic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 pm

*scribble scribble... scribble... Smirk*

Have an idea. Will pitch after TBWW is finished, but before Christmas.
He2etic

Postby Xisor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 pm

So many ideas, not enough (Marching) Time!

Or in other thinking: how to refine them into sensible pitches? Where'd I put my thinking-cap/tinfoil-hat...?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby He2etic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm

narrativium wrote:
kurisawa wrote:Original "worlds" only? IE no Warhammer/40K universe stories?

Your assumption is correct. This isn't a tie-in anthology; stick to your own worlds.

If you want to use a universe you own, e.g. use characters you've created and intend to go on using elsewhere, that ought to fine too, so long as the story is original and doesn't assume prior knowledge of the universe. I'll have to verify what the model used in The Black Winds Whispers was, but I'm pretty sure we're only dealing in first publication rights, not owning the story or the characters you pitch. I'll get an answer on this.

kurisawa: Under no circumstances will we ever use Warhammer/40k universe material for the anthologies or any work we publish. That is the property of Games Workshop and Black Library, and doing so would/could/should merit us a well deserved cease-and-desist from their lawyers. If we get a story that clearly uses their intellectual property, it will have to be rejected on those grounds.

narrativium: In TBWW, we simply allowed everyone to make their own stories set in the past, present and little into the future. But used a simple, timeless plot device to very loosely tie most-to-all the stories together. There's a lot of room for something similar here. Brainstorm on it?
He2etic

Postby Erunanion » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 pm

I would very much like to contribute to a Bolthole anthology, but time travel and I... do not get on.

Good luck with it guys! :D
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Erunanion wrote:I would very much like to contribute to a Bolthole anthology, but time travel and I... do not get on.

Good luck with it guys! :D

I heard about what happened last time you ventured into the world of time travel. Not a pretty sight. Not a pretty sight at all XD.
Major Rawne

Postby Erunanion » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 am

There was some... unpleasantness. I can never go back. Or forwards.

:lol:
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 am

What do we want? We want time travel! When do we want it? It's irrelevant.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby LordLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we want?

Time Loops!

What do we...
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby He2etic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:What do we want? We want time travel! When do we want it? It's irrelevant.

Care to join us Pyro?
He2etic

Postby Xisor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm

The Polite Time Soldier
- A tale by Xisor.

"Who's there?"
*knock knock*
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Xisor: Are you writing something for this? I have a feeling you'd be awesome at a time travel story. :D
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works