The Black Wind's Whispers Release Day

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Re: The Black Wind's Whispers Release Day

Postby Squiggle » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:01 am

Athelassan wrote:I also don't know anything about Kindle.

You and me both :)
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby J D Dunsany » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:38 am

Lady Dunsany wants one for Christmas. They be ever so shiny...
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Jelboy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 am

Okay - regarding publishing on Amazon - been there - done that. (and I'm getting a regular little trickle of sales for my 'Somerset the cat's Belgrade mysteries' - [further buys or 4-5 star reviews appreciated] ;) )

Basically, you only need to upload the anthology to KDP once. Then you select worldwide rights (if you're not being too exclusive). Then you select pricing structure. Its a simple matter of ticking/unticking for the various prices/royalties you want the piece to be sold at on the various amazon sub sites (example amazon.co.uk, amazon.de etc). If I remember correctly, to get the 75% royalty the fiction needs to be priced at over $2.99 (but there are help.faq boxes on each page of the process so you can recheck that yourself).

You don't need a kindle to download a kindle digital book. You can download the kindle reader straight to your computer for free - and read from there.

ps: If the antholoy is a roar away success don't forget the tax man might start knocking at your door!
Jelboy

Postby Tyrant » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 am

The anthology is now available! Go forth and buy! FOR THE BOLTHOLE!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Winds-Whi ... 605&sr=8-1

I would also encourage everyone to share this on Facebook etc, and if you have the time later then a review of the e-book on Amazon would be greatly appreciated.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:30 am

Hmmm. I appear not to be able to buy a digital version on my computer, since I can only find a Kindle edition (and here's me not having a Kindle)--damn it, DRM-locked Kindle/Amazon!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Tyrant » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 am

Mossy: there is kindle reader software you can download:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1000426311

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

Tyrant

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Aha, so I can be parted from my money after all! Downloading.

Edit: aaaand bought. I'll be sure to throw up a review after I read it. Though I seem to be having trouble downloading it--but it's late, I'm tired, and I can deal with this in the morning.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 pm

I bought it about 5 mins after I arrived in work this morning at 7.30. Good to support the cause. Now how much does anyone want to pay me for a glowing, glittering or even shining 5* review? :D
Major Rawne

Postby Tyrant » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Major Rawne wrote:I bought it about 5 mins after I arrived in work this morning at 7.30. Good to support the cause. Now how much does anyone want to pay me for a glowing, glittering or even shining 5* review? :D

This is the wrong way to look at it. You want to think about what might happen if you DON'T give us a five star review.....

:twisted:

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

Tyrant

Postby He2etic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 pm

You know what's funny is that future books might just be our best advertisement. Say we sell 10,000 copies of this. Next anthology is better at 40,000 copies. Well, we can say, "If you like it, check out our earlier work!"

Anyway. Come this weekend, I'm going to take care of the Smashwords version. And probably next week I'll start talking to CreateSpace and see about a printed version, if for no other reason than to understand the process. No promises on whether or not there will be a print, but I will explore the possibility.
He2etic

Postby Jelboy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Congratulations on the sturdy sales!

Possibly in time 'Bolthole' will be as much a brand as 'Black Library'!
Jelboy

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 pm

I am proud.

I am proud of you all for achieving this. And I am proud of myself for setting up the Bolthole in the first place.

Well done, all of you.

*mummy-hugs*
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby He2etic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 am

Pyroriffic wrote:I am proud.

I am proud of you all for achieving this. And I am proud of myself for setting up the Bolthole in the first place.

Well done, all of you.

*mummy-hugs*

:D Happy to do you proud Pyro.
He2etic

Postby Tyrant » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Currently NUMBER ONE horror anthology on Amazon. Oh hell yeah!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

Tyrant

Postby Xisor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Good stuff, scamps!

Messing about on Goodreads (and having acquired this last night), I put up an entry for it there too. Hopefully help raise awareness by getting it a bit of a presence. 8-)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1629 ... s-whispers

Once I get started reading it (likely after Orion and The Hobbit, so hopefully this week), I'll put a bit of time and effort into tweeting & FBing my thoughts on it. (So you'd better hope it's not terrible, I shan't be biased! :lol: )

(NB: Having had a quick gander through a few pages of it - I'm intrigued, so far!)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Tim the Corsair » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 am

Amazing work guys, so happy for you all and can't wait to read my copy.

My apologies again for having to withdraw so late in the game, I had the rather nasty issue of my dad having a very serious cancer scare right at the time of deadlines. Thankfully he came through it ok (and yelled at me for not getting my story done, grumble grumble)

I hope you guys continue doing stuff like this and I'd love to be a part of future work (a fantasy or sci-fit anthology, mayhap...?). I've also forwarded the link to a couple of reviewers I know and I'll write something up on it myself soon as well.
Tim the Corsair

Postby He2etic » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:02 am

Tim the Corsair wrote:Amazing work guys, so happy for you all and can't wait to read my copy.

My apologies again for having to withdraw so late in the game, I had the rather nasty issue of my dad having a very serious cancer scare right at the time of deadlines. Thankfully he came through it ok (and yelled at me for not getting my story done, grumble grumble)

I hope you guys continue doing stuff like this and I'd love to be a part of future work (a fantasy or sci-fit anthology, mayhap...?). I've also forwarded the link to a couple of reviewers I know and I'll write something up on it myself soon as well.

Thank you for forwarding the book Tim! And yes, we intend too. At the moment, Narrativium is doing an anthology called Marching Time. LL, MalkyDel and Raziel4707 have voiced interest (in that order) in doing the next anthologies. We're going to be doing a rounded selection of genres, so if horror is not your thing we'll find something more to your taste.

We understand your situation in having to drop earlier. But please join us if you can!
He2etic

Postby Rob P » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 pm

I've only read the prologue so far and I am going to work through the stories from now until Christmas.

I do have some, hopefully helpful, comments on the general Kindle formatting.

I am reading this on my Kindle Touch, but I have also flicked on to the Kindle for PC to compare.

The actual format of the book is pretty decent. The only comments I would make with regard to this is that it would be easier to read if the paragraph indents were not quite as big as they are (maybe reduced to 1/2 or 1/3 of how they are at present). I would also suggest that the first paragraph of a story or after a break/new chapter is not indented. And, finally, I would suggest the the line spacing is reduced significantly.

These are all minor things, but the tiny changes would make it a smoother read.

The second thing is a little more bothersome (but not fatal!). Firstly, I would code the contents page so that you can click on a story and get taken straight to it. This would make it easier to navigate and is fairly standard for Kindle books. And, on the same line, I would put in the function that allow you to skip to the end of a chapter (or to the start of the next story) by pulling your finger down the screen - this may be related to the former point.

Cheers
Rob P

Postby He2etic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:18 am

Rob P wrote:I've only read the prologue so far and I am going to work through the stories from now until Christmas.

I do have some, hopefully helpful, comments on the general Kindle formatting.

I am reading this on my Kindle Touch, but I have also flicked on to the Kindle for PC to compare.

The actual format of the book is pretty decent. The only comments I would make with regard to this is that it would be easier to read if the paragraph indents were not quite as big as they are (maybe reduced to 1/2 or 1/3 of how they are at present). I would also suggest that the first paragraph of a story or after a break/new chapter is not indented. And, finally, I would suggest the the line spacing is reduced significantly.

These are all minor things, but the tiny changes would make it a smoother read.

The second thing is a little more bothersome (but not fatal!). Firstly, I would code the contents page so that you can click on a story and get taken straight to it. This would make it easier to navigate and is fairly standard for Kindle books. And, on the same line, I would put in the function that allow you to skip to the end of a chapter (or to the start of the next story) by pulling your finger down the screen - this may be related to the former point.

Cheers

This is extremely helpful. Thank you Rob P.
He2etic

Postby Athelassan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:08 am

I still have yet to get really stuck into the meat of the anthology (after tomorrow I'm free, so I'll read it then properly) but I have started. I'll echo Rob's comments about the size of the indents, because they do stand out, especially in dialogue and with the line breaks (I like the line breaks, but it does emphasise the indents. I'm inclined to feel the size of the indent necessary decreases when a line break is present). The line spacing could probably stand to be reduced, too. For me, the more words on the page the better, although o'course that's a matter of taste.

I've also noticed a spelling mistake/typo, which I only bring up because it's in the second page of the introduction and I think fixing it would help with the perception that the anthology has been properly edited. Obviously, the introduction won't have been edited/proofread to the same extent as the contents, so it's a skewed perception, but it's the sort of thing that some pedantic old git will spot and sniff at, if I don't mention it now.

And authors of the Black Library occasionally dropped by to see what mischief we were up to(o).

(Not having displayed page numbers is frustrating for this sort of purpose, but this is my first ebook so maybe I'll get used to it). Apparently it is somewhere at Location 28, whatever that means.

There are a few more comments about the formatting, but I'll save those until I've actually read some more of the content. Nothing major in any case, just personal observations.

Ath
Athelassan

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works