The Black Wind's Whispers Release Day

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

The Black Wind's Whispers Release Day

Postby He2etic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 am

Ladies and gentlemen.

I am proud to announce that The Black Wind's Whispers, the (to my knowledge) first professional Bolthole anthology, will be made available on Amazon on December 7th of this year. The going price for the e-book should be $2.99.

With the completion of this project, we'll be moving onto a second anthology before long. More information will be available shortly from the person who will be in charge of that project.

The floor is open to any questions or comments. And thank you all for your support!
He2etic

Re: The Black Wind's Whispers Release Day

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 am

Well done on that, sir - and well done all involved. Sorry if my comments on your various MSs might have lead you believe I'm and arse - I'm not, really (unless you speak to my wife, of course).

Cheers, each.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby J D Dunsany » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 am

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:Well done on that, sir - and well done all involved. Sorry if my comments on your various MSs might have lead you believe I'm and arse - I'm not, really (unless you speak to my wife, of course).

Cheers, each.

Love you, Chun! :)

And thanks to the editors and He2etic for their sterling work on putting this together. I know it's not exactly a straightforward job, but the quality of the end product will make it all worthwhile.

Can't wait to read everyone else's stories!

:D

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 am

I'll be buying it, and not entirely on account of guilt at having stumbled into the room half-dressed, promised to contribute, and promptly dropped out of sight.

Now, if only we here at the Bolthole knew a few book reviewers...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 am

Mossy Toes wrote:I'll be buying it, and not entirely on account of guilt at having stumbled into the room half-dressed, promised to contribute, and promptly dropped out of sight.

Congrats to all regardless :-)

Mossy Toes wrote:Now, if only we here at the Bolthole knew a few book reviewers...

I really wish I did :-(
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby He2etic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:I'll be buying it, and not entirely on account of guilt at having stumbled into the room half-dressed, promised to contribute, and promptly dropped out of sight.

(Scratches chin and dives into old contact lists...)
He2etic

Postby He2etic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:Well done on that, sir - and well done all involved. Sorry if my comments on your various MSs might have lead you believe I'm and arse - I'm not, really (unless you speak to my wife, of course).

Cheers, each.

Criticism is what drives us to improve. But this was a learning effort revolving around never being turned down, but grinding through until it was good enough. That's hard, hard work. In some ways, a lot harder than being rejected only to take the piece elsewhere.

That's a lesson I doubt is available to most starting authors.
He2etic

Postby Rob P » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:31 pm

This is good news.

Will it be available directly from Amazon.co.uk or just .com?

Can we (I) see the cover?
Rob P

Postby Tyrant » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Rob:

He2etic is the man for all availability questions.

However, if you want to see the cover then click here.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Rob P » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Fantastic.
Rob P

Postby He2etic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Probably just .com but if it's a pain in the arse for our European readers, I will see about the .uk version as well.
He2etic

Postby Carandini » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:40 am

Cheers, each.

Nah, every writer NEEDS to have an editor pointing out their mistakes or just helping tighten up the plot. I think that is why I really don't get into the 'big guys' when it comes to modern authors. Too many of them are obviously at a point where their publishers know they can write any drivel and sell it because of the name. Hence the editors don't do their job and point out to, with all apologies to him, Robert Jordan that he's just handed in a 600 page book that doesn't advance the storyline AT ALL. If a writer gets so big that he feels he is above having his work edited and reviewed before publication, then he simply needs to find some other kind of work. The readers deserve better.
Carandini

Postby Tylorva » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 am

Carandini wrote:Nah, every writer NEEDS to have an editor pointing out their mistakes or just helping tighten up the plot. I think that is why I really don't get into the 'big guys' when it comes to modern authors. Too many of them are obviously at a point where their publishers know they can write any drivel and sell it because of the name. Hence the editors don't do their job and point out to, with all apologies to him, Robert Jordan that he's just handed in a 600 page book that doesn't advance the storyline AT ALL. If a writer gets so big that he feels he is above having his work edited and reviewed before publication, then he simply needs to find some other kind of work. The readers deserve better.

I love seeing my work post-edit. I absolutely love seeing my work transformed from something I'm personally pleased with into something professionally awesome. Possibly it's just that I'm still rather new at this, but I hope that the feeling continues long into the future. :)
Tylorva

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 am

The phrase 'professionally awesome' is, thankfully, relative. ;)
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby He2etic » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm

There's just no escaping the need for editing. It is a two way street, a good writer and a good editor.

I think in the future, I'll make every effort to name the editor in the bylines, not just with my anthology but if/when I ever do a novel alone. I was reading posts on Twitter by other authors, and they've been on the lookout for editors. So not just writers, but editors need to do self promotion.
He2etic

Postby He2etic » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Found a reviewer who has expressed interest. Working on getting at least one more.

P.S. Since I'll be monitoring the reviews for TBWW, I'll be able to track down various reviewers and will keep tabs on their names for advanced reviews when Marching Time comes out. The marketing for this anthology will be our weakest aspect, but I'll work to make sure that's not the case in the future.
He2etic

Postby Squiggle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 am

Heretic - I don't know anything about Kindle, but obviously most people I know will be based in the UK. Will they be able to buy this from Amazon.com? Are there financial implications to putting it up on Amazon.co.uk? I hate to think of my Nan trying to navigate the confusions of the internetz! :? :?
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby He2etic » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 am

One way or the other, I will make sure that no one on either side of the pond is left out. I will fight to keep it simple.

PS If other ebooks have on Amazon, I'm sure we can.
He2etic

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:59 am

Squiggle wrote:Heretic - I don't know anything about Kindle, but obviously most people I know will be based in the UK. Will they be able to buy this from Amazon.com? Are there financial implications to putting it up on Amazon.co.uk? I hate to think of my Nan trying to navigate the confusions of the internetz! :? :?

Financial implications other than people with .co.uk accounts not being able to buy off the .com site? I know the reverse is true. I have a .com account and I can't buy stuff from the regional sites because of that internal account restriction. So it would probably be a good idea to distribute the eBook to the different regions we have boltholers on.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Athelassan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 pm

I think it's possible for .co.uk users to buy from the .com site, although it doesn't accept all types of UK card (Visa is usually best, iirc). However the last time I bought anything from the .com site was a few years ago so things might have changed.

Wrt financial implications, I imagine there's a concern that if the book is sold on various international sites there will be implications to do with regional tax, and possibly also a charge to distribute it through each channel, but I don't know anything about that. I also don't know anything about Kindle.

Ath
Athelassan

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works