A soundtrack to my writing

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

A soundtrack to my writing

Postby Squiggle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

At BLL! in the excellent Space Marines seminar, the most entertaining James Swallow and equally entertaining Nick Kyme suggested that sticking on an epic-sounding soundtrack whilst writing helps them immensely to get in the right mood for writing.

I dug out the Gladiator soundtrack today, and I was impressed that it did actually help.

I know the Inception soundtrack has been mentioned a couple of times, but are there any other good ones y'all can recommend?

Thanks!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Re: A soundtrack to my writing

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Tron: Legacy
Dawn of War I & II
Gears of War

For starters.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Xisor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 pm

I really enjoy the Sherlock Holmes one. I recall Nick Kyme mentioning on his blog having used the recent Batman ones. I rather enjoy the recent Star Trek one and, bizarrely, the Harry Potter 4/5 soundtracks have some enjoyable, atmospheric tracks (The Lack, The Goblet of Fire, Voldemort, Possession etc).

Also: Tron Legacy is fantastic.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Two more votes for Tron Legacy, Gladiator and Inception here...

Some cuts from my own personal stack:
Battle: Los Angeles
Total Recall
King Arthur (extended version if you can get it)
Babylon A.D.
Outlander
Assassin's Creed series
Killzone series
The Book of Eli
Pitch Black
The Chronicles of Riddick
Terminator Salvation
Kingdom of Heaven
The Lord of the Rings
Sanctum
Solomon Kane
Dawn of War series

Note that these might not all be good *movies* but they're great *soundtracks*...

And if you can track down the trailer music compilations by Two Steps To Hell and Immediate, those are also hardcore epic.
JMSwallow

Postby Blood Drinker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Can't go wrong with the LOTR soundtracks, though you'll probably need to pick and choose which tracks to listen to. You don't want to be writing a dirty great battle to the sound of The Shire or writing a meeting of friends to the Isengard soundtrack.

Again, Gladiators is great, and I've found inspiration in Pirates of the Carribean and especially the Transformers movie soundtracks (more the first than the second but I enjoy them both). I bet there's something to be made of the 300 soundtrack too but I haven't tried it yet.

BD
Filii Sanguinius, in hoc signo vinces!
Legion of Blood - my Blood Angels army
Blood Drinker

Postby Pipitán » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

I use:

The Dark Knight
Inception
Batman Begins
The Lord of the Rings
The Godfather (parts I and II)
In Bruges (not so sprawlingly epic, but great for conjuring a more personal epic feeling for writing)
Gladiator

The Dark Knight is probably my favourite and the one I find the most awe inspiring - it has a very dark, grim tone which suits it to 40k more than some of the others which can be quite uplifting.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Erunanion » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 pm

I love the Gladiator, 300, and the free Dawn of War II soundtracks for battle music. I have the Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars tracks as well, but I tend to not listen to them much when I am writing - music that I can too readily put to a particular scene tends to distract me (although it really only happens with Star Wars). Other than that, I can't think of others I readily listen to, but I will certainly have a look for some mentioned here!
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Squiggle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:28 pm

well, the Inception soundtrack is pretty epic, so good so far.

keep the suggestions coming!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby zAngle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxuvg4q ... re=related

Babylon AD - Babylon Requiem Is the song. It is just so dirty....
You can find my blog at troubledscribe.wordpress.com
zAngle

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 am

It seems once again I'm the odd fish in the bowl. I find Jazz or Blues to be the best forms of music to write to. I need something to calm my fevered little mind allows me to concentrate. The very best of Nina Simone has been working quite well of late.

Having said that if I'm planning a piece then I've been know to do work with a film on. Which film does not really matter though it has to be one I've watched alot, think I'm more looking for background nosie.
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 am

If Simone's "Sinnerman" and "Strange Fruit" don't count as grimdark, I'm a hobbit.

My own music habits are a bit peculiar, too. I have a few inspirational soundtracks that I listen to (along the same lines as what's already been posted: DoW 2, Braveheart, LotR, etc), and frequently listen to other artists online with such tools as playlist.com and pandora.com. Often, though, I find myself listening to the seven Cirque Du Soliel soundtracks I have instead. Not very germanic, but awe-inspiring all the same...especially when coupled with memories of going and watching Mystère and Ovo.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Insomniac » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 am

Pretty much anything RZA has touched, namely Afro Samurai. When I write, I just put iTunes on shuffle so there's a healthy mix of old Geto Boys, Wu-Tang, Integrity, Gehenna, Vaccine, etc. Over the years, when I listen to Ol' Dirty Bastard, I get the best results.
Insomniac

Postby Falkenhayn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:02 am

Bod the inquisitor wrote:It seems once again I'm the odd fish in the bowl. I find Jazz or Blues to be the best forms of music to write to. I need something to calm my fevered little mind allows me to concentrate. The very best of Nina Simone has been working quite well of late.

Having said that if I'm planning a piece then I've been know to do work with a film on. Which film does not really matter though it has to be one I've watched alot, think I'm more looking for background nosie.

Actually I am right there next to you Bod the inquisitor. I prefer Norah Jones and the like when I write.

Recently I felt like I was in a rut, and was looking for something with a little bit more bite. I tried a search on "gothic".
You can imagine how that turned out, I am sure...

I will be looking into the Inception soundtrack. I did not really care for the movie, but as far as I remember the sound was all right.

I was actually looking for some choir music or the like, to evoke that feeling of a huge cathedral built for the glory of the Master of Mankind. Would anyone know suitable candidate soundtracks or albums for that?
Falkenhayn

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:26 am

Falkenhayn: Anything by E. S. Posthumus, perhaps? The band doesn't exactly do soundtracks, but I think it would convey the theme well. Perhaps a bit too militant, though. It's my "Sororitas" music, personally...and the Sisters just about epitomize everything that's good about 40k.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Falkenhayn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 am

Thank you Mossy Toes. This is more or less what I was looking for. It is, as you say, perhaps a little too much but it is definitely in the neighborhood.
Falkenhayn

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Falkenhayn wrote:I was actually looking for some choir music or the like, to evoke that feeling of a huge cathedral built for the glory of the Master of Mankind. Would anyone know suitable candidate soundtracks or albums for that?

Hey Falkenhayn if you want choir chanting type stuff then I recommend a double album of Gregorian chant, some Itialian monks chanting prayers nad otehr such religious stuff in I think latin. Unfortunately mines on tape but I know they released another album a year or two ago. Very atmospheric and some what fitting for 40k. I could easily imagine the sound as High Imperial Gothic in a Imperial Cathedral or an astropathic choir :D

Enter my children,

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Ilmarinen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:23 am

I rather like the soundtracks for Where Eagles Dare and Hunt for Red October.

I tried listening to Norah Jones's album once and felt so depressed I wanted to die ...but couldn't summon up the energy to kill myself.

Oh, and you can't beat "The Touch" by Stan Bush from Transformers the (only) Movie.

Woo, first post here. Hi! :)
Ilmarinen

Postby Raven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

The Braveheart soundtrack works really well and Celtic music works wonders especially ERA.
Raven

Postby Falkenhayn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Bod the inquisitor wrote:Hey Falkenhayn if you want choir chanting type stuff then I recommend a double album of Gregorian chant, some Itialian monks chanting prayers nad otehr such religious stuff in I think latin. Unfortunately mines on tape but I know they released another album a year or two ago. Very atmospheric and some what fitting for 40k. I could easily imagine the sound as High Imperial Gothic in a Imperial Cathedral or an astropathic choir :D

I looked into your suggestion and that is exactly what I was going for.

Thank you very much Bod the inquisitor.
Falkenhayn

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Glade to be of service.

Had a feeling that might be what you were looking for. I really need to get that tape digitised have the machine but not quite the time at present. Let me know how you get on with it :D

Enter my children,

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works