General Whf Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General Whf Lore Q&A

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Blinded wrote:The Tabletop rules of lore of Death are for all armies (including Tomb Kings, Vampire Lords and Warriors of Chaos) and I do believe for gaming balance reasons it does not cover the Anti-Undead specialization of members of Purple College.

Indeed, though I wonder how that balances out in terms of in-world effectiveness. Whilst on one-hand they must be quite adept compared to everyone else, they're also at higher risk of causing the problems in the first place. Plus their proprietorial obsessions with and hatred of it might also colour their ability to handle it all objectively and efficiently. Though I appreciate the game balance side, I'd be inclined to think that narratively there's also a big pile of 'fun little paths' to follow.

To that same end, with the original fungi/orcs point: I think there's an interesting tale in it, at least. The interplay between the Big and Little Waaaghs against the lore of beasts and lore of life: whilst it might not be one-sided, there's room for a 'meta-/magical-conflict' in that, where each have strengths and weaknesses with respect to one another that are not exhibited by the other colleges and disciplines when they interact.

There's certainly a story to tell!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby SIngemeister » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 pm

So, if Slugtongue is Nurglitch, the Brass Bull is Khornate, Morghur and Moonclaw are Tzeentchian, is Ghorros Warhoof Slaaneshi?
SIngemeister

Postby SIngemeister » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 am

What happened to the Nemesis Crown in the end?
SIngemeister

Postby Athelassan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 pm

The Dwarfs ended up with it and hid it away, iirc.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Malus's seneschael Arleth Vann given how he doesn't die in the first five books and iirc Malus meets him when ever he manages to return to the Hag, does he become a powerful noble or something? as he is from an all but extinct house and given what happens in darkblades adventures does he actualy climb the ladder to some degree?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:54 am

sam vimes wrote:Malus's seneschael Arleth Vann given how he doesn't die in the first five books and iirc Malus meets him when ever he manages to return to the Hag, does he become a powerful noble or something? as he is from an all but extinct house and given what happens in darkblades adventures does he actualy climb the ladder to some degree?

As I've probably mentioned before elsewhere, the Darkblade novels are pretty much completely off on their own when it comes to background and almost nothing from the novels is referenced anywhere else (and sometimes, it seems, vice versa). The comics got a little more love but hardly much and I think all the stuff they were referenced in has itself been retconned anyway (it was SoC-era). Whether this will change with the End Times stuff, I don't know.

So in short, we don't know what happens to Arleth because, unless he reappears in the End Times stuff - of which I have read hardly any - I'm pretty sure he hasn't been mentioned outside the novels, and the novels haven't told us yet. Whether when/if the series is revived he will reappear is a question I can't really answer.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks Ath I'm reading the Daemon's curse at the moment and it just came to me as when Malus does go back to the Hag he rides up in support of Arleth and a few other knights chasing off raiders, and Arleths first question is to ask him who are you take up arms in cause of Hag Graef? Malus says it was his cause all along... wow I briefly flicked through that comic years ago in Bolton GW and can still remember that little scene lol
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby LordLucan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:38 pm

I have so many questions about Whf nowadays thanks to the End Times. :?
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby sam vimes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Well Lord Lucan I'm hoping you, Ath and the older members of the community can help me with this I'm looking for a particular book, having just ordered the Konrad saga (I still firmly believe he's a blood descendent of Sigmar) and Flesh Works (awesome little necromunda novel) I THINK I may have found it and its called storm warriors but thought I'd pick the brains here before committing to it next pay day anyways I'll list as many details as I can below that I can remember some may be wrong it was many a moon ago:

Theres a group of humans possibly nobles on an island ?(not sure about the island bit)
High elves end up founding a colony near them leads to tensions because obviously.
Said elves when building colony are using magic to lift slabs of stone remeber this being quite the bone of contention as magic is untrustworthy to the layman.
One of the humans gets gifted with a bow I think from the elves but when he makes a kill with it, it spoils the meat soon as.
And theirs something mystical about storm warriors mentioned in it

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:29 am

sam vimes wrote:Well Lord Lucan I'm hoping you, Ath and the older members of the community can help me with this I'm looking for a particular book, having just ordered the Konrad saga (I still firmly believe he's a blood descendent of Sigmar)

He might well be. But given that two and a half thousand years have passed and Sigmar doesn't seem to have had any qualms about not keeping it in his pants, I suspect that statistically everyone in the Empire is descended from Sigmar, so Konrad isn't necessarily anything special in that respect. Although it hasn't been mentioned in a long time, the von Bildhofens of Middenland are descended from Sigmar, and consequently so is Boris Todbringer. In Warpstone a few mentions were made of other noble families who did too, including the von Sigmars, who claimed to be the senior line of descent.

Theres a group of humans possibly nobles on an island ?(not sure about the island bit)...
And theirs something mystical about storm warriors mentioned in it

The book is, I believe, Storm Warriors by Brian Craig. It's the last in the "Orfeo" trilogy and is set on Albion before the retcon. Originally a GW/Boxtree book, later reprinted by BL, but the reprinted edition is relatively hard to come by; all editions still show up on Amazon, though.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:13 pm

So im finaly reading the Konrad saga I was worried about it not being as good as my memory said it was but Its holding up, anyone got any idea on just why Konrad has two different coloured eyes and why one gives him a small amount of future foresight?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:23 pm

sam vimes wrote:So im finaly reading the Konrad saga I was worried about it not being as good as my memory said it was but Its holding up, anyone got any idea on just why Konrad has two different coloured eyes and why one gives him a small amount of future foresight?

It's been a long time since I read the Konrad books but if I remember rightly it's one of those threads that's left hanging at the end of the series with no resolution, and one of the reasons the end was so awful. I don't know if there was originally supposed to be a further book that never happened (something which has afflicted a lot of GW/BL series over the years) or if it was just supposed to end there, but it feels like the plot doesn't really wrap up.

In any case and again if I recall correctly there was a hint of some elven ancestry, possible descent from Sigmar (not that that should be uncommon in the Empire) and other magic shenanigans going on in his makeup. Or perhaps it's just Chaos influence: after all he does run into a lot of Chaos and even dabble in it himself over the course of the stories.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:25 am

Yeah the ending did leave me wanting more as it screamed there was more to come what are your thoughts on these old yarns? I'm looking forward to seeing the brass knight iirc.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer