General 40K Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General 40K Lore Q&A

Postby Vivia » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

What do you expect? Anyway, I would say Njorl's Saga is just as good. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Jelboy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 am

Question: Is NID communication throughout a tendril AND to outlying genestealers considered instantaneous?
Jelboy

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:46 am

good question, psychic communication is more or less instantaneous, however most feeder tendril information I would theorise is rendered and released via phermones and thus wouldn't be that instantaneous, to genestealers a way away (once one genestealer sniffs the infomation ladden chemicals everyone in it's brood would know via their brood telepathy however)
schaferwhat‽

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:32 pm

As I understand it, a nid tendril cannot actually communicate with genestealers--instead, the genestealer cult acts as little more than a beacon in the warp for the hive/splinter fleet. If there are plenty of humaniforms to infest, the cult grows large, and the beacon gets strong. If there are few, it never gets strong enough to really attract the attention of the fleet. A sort of easy discrimination; a quick hit-or-miss biomass scanner.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Jelboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. Tendrils can cover lots of star-systems and huge distances - you're disparate parts of that tendril can communicate quickly (though maybe not to the even more distance genestealers)?
Jelboy

Postby Jelboy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 am

New Question: Can space marines technologically teleport through city force shields? Can sorcerors magically teleport through such shields?
Jelboy

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am

No they can't. Prime example, siege of terra. Horus drops hisshields and only then can the Emperor teleport aboard with dorn and sanguinius.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby LordLucan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:47 pm

True in most cases, but I'm not sure if Eldar teleportation (via webway or jump pack) can bypass shields. Was Ahriman's shields up during the assault on his ship by Harlequins? I'm sure they teleported in and out.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Jelboy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 am

... and what of necron teleportation?

New Question (sorry - head full of questions right now): How can Imperial forces get close enough to attack a Nid base ship and take out the queen? Isn't the hive fleet a vast swarm of vessels of all sizes that would take unkindly enemy vessels approaching them? (I know that in at least one fictional case the base ship was alone or poorly accompanied, but I'm talking generally)
Jelboy

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:07 pm

i believe necrons can bypass shields as they are mentioned doing so in fall of damnos.

As for the nids, plot armour.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Jelboy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Plot armour?
Jelboy

Postby Tyrant » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Jelboy wrote:Plot armour?

The ignoring of inconvenient facts or possibilities because something needs to happen.

A good example: in Kill Bill the Crazy 88 opt to pointlessly attack the Bride with swords a few at a time, even after seeing how skilled she is, instead of (for example) producing guns and putting nineteen rounds through her face.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Maugan Ra » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 pm

Jelboy wrote:New Question (sorry - head full of questions right now): How can Imperial forces get close enough to attack a Nid base ship and take out the queen? Isn't the hive fleet a vast swarm of vessels of all sizes that would take unkindly enemy vessels approaching them? (I know that in at least one fictional case the base ship was alone or poorly accompanied, but I'm talking generally)

Kamikaze runs. It would be virtually impossible for a Navy fleet to fight it's way through a Tyranid swarm to reach the central Hive Ship, but they don't neccessarily need to. Imperial Ships are, after all, very solidly built, and designed to brawl with enemy vessels at relatively close range.

I seem to recall that it was the Dominus Astra, an Emperor Class battleship, that was responsible for breaking the back of Hive Fleet Behemoth at Macragge with said suicide run. Which I can honestly well believe - it would, after all, have essentially been five miles of metal and void shields powered by numerous plasma reactors, and such a thing could get up a horrific amount of momentum if it wanted to. The rest of the Hive Fleet could attack it, could overcome its shields and cover the entire thing with acid, could probably effectively kill it, but they could not stop it. Hence it reaches the Hive Ship in the centre of the swarm, overloads its engines (which were probably on the edge of overloading at that point anyway) and sacrifices itself to tear the head off of the swarm.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby LordLucan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 pm

When Tyranid vessels first get to a system, they are still waking up from hybernation. This is usually when the deathwatch and SM strike teams choose to attack Hive ships, and try to take out the queen before her forces are sufficiently roused to mount an effective defence.

How else would they take out norn queens you ask? The answer is with great difficulty. That's why the Tyranids are so damn dangerous. They are hard to defeat once they arrive in sufficient numbers.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Jelboy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks guys!

New Question: If an Imperial guard regiment knew it might be facing chaos space marines, what extra weaponry would the infantry regiments be outfitted with (i know IG have huge numbers... but if none of their weapons have punching power that's no good - so i assume they would receive extra firepower if they were a more well known outfit?)
Jelboy

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Jelboy wrote:Thanks guys!

New Question: If an Imperial guard regiment knew it might be facing chaos space marines, what extra weaponry would the infantry regiments be outfitted with (i know IG have huge numbers... but if none of their weapons have punching power that's no good - so i assume they would receive extra firepower if they were a more well known outfit?)

Punching power doesn't matter. Lasguns are stock issue. The Ghosts didnt get special weapons even though they fought in the Sabbat Crusade.

100 lasguns against 100 marines = dumb.
2000 lasguns against 100 marines = decent chance.
3000 lasguns against 100 marines = good chance.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Jelboy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:15 pm

I didn't think lasguns penetrated space marine armour? Wouldnt the Ig's have autguns or plasma rifles or something for added support?
Jelboy

Postby Tyrant » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Enough shots would get through. Plus a greater chance of penetrating through seals, joints, eye visors etc.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Jelboy wrote:I didn't think lasguns penetrated space marine armour? Wouldnt the Ig's have autguns or plasma rifles or something for added support?

This is the Imperial Guard in the Warhammer 40,000. They never have what they really need. Case in point: Gaunt's regiment being issued the wrong sized ammo clips before a mission and the Munitorium not giving a damn.

The IG doesn't specialize in high calibre firepower. The grunts compensate by the volume of their firepower. At range, a single lasgun won't be doing jack against power armour, but when you have ten lasguns shooting, that is going to cause problems. Not to mention lucky shots in that volume hitting weak armour points.

Also, don't take the lasguns cant penetrate power armour seriously. The tabletop shows us that pretty much anything is possible. A SM is still going to die if he fails his armour save from a lasgun shot.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Jelboy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:20 pm

If my IGs had a smattering of autoguns or plasma rifles in my Oracles of Change short - that would be suspect then?
Jelboy

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer