General 40K Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General 40K Lore Q&A

Postby Vivia » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

More on Dreadnoughts.
What can destroy a Dread? Can it malfunction from the inside?
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Gaius Marius » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Lascannons, battle cannons, melta charges. I'd guess an internal malfunction is possible, although I haven't read of any.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Destroy it so it can't be rebuilt? Very little, quite a bit can take it out of action, it is a mean universe.

Considering the most important part of the Dreadnought, without which it wouldn't function is an (often) critically injured Space Marine that lives a terrible non life, kept alive only by machines and through necessity being kept in comas for much of their existence because they're not that good at being alive I'd say internal malfunction isn't all that uncommon. It's why waking and setting up a dreadnought is such a big deal, if any of the sarcophagus' equipment fails Space Marine Bob dies.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:50 am

Although it doesn't seem to be possible for the occupant of the Dreadnought to malfunction on purpose - Malcharion's refusal to awaken seems to be quite unique and even he can't make himself die.

Things that can take out a dreadnought, well, there's quite a lot. Missiles, bombs, another dreadnought, being torn open by a mutant... The sarcophagus actually always seemed horribly exposed to me.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 am

Liliedhe wrote:
Things that can take out a dreadnought, well, there's quite a lot. Missiles, bombs, another dreadnought, being torn open by a mutant... The sarcophagus actually always seemed horribly exposed to me.

The ceramite and adamantium plating on the Sarcophogus is pretty thick, thicker than that of dreadnought terminator armour. Ideally I suppose you'd have the sarcophagi on the ship in orbit controlling the dreads remotely.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Thank you all for the replies.
Yes, I meant destroyed beyond repair.

I'm looking more closely at some pictures and the sarcophagus is a small part of the Dread. I was watching a bit of DoW 2 and the Dread (Captain Thule, no!) didn't take much damage or I couldn't see it, no idea how the game works.
Internal malfunction should be more common but I haven't read anything about it either.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:54 pm

personally I'd imagine most internal failures happen when waking the dreadnought up at which point the techmarine says "sorry no dice" empties the sarcophagus and awaits some other hero to be injured almost to death to be put into it which leads to us not seeing it happen so much because once it's running it's running (also the dreadnought had a heart attack and died isn't exactly exciting story telling).

Destroyed beyond repair would be the bigger guns, the superheavy weapons of a titan or on a space ship really, anything else (apart from really expertly placed meltabombs) or shooting up an already disabled dreadnought to achieve the destruction.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Gaius Marius » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 am

Kind of an odd question (brought upon by a story), but what happens with the wider Imperium in the event of an Inter-Chapter War. Say two different chapters are brought to conflict by a dispute over what tactics to take against a wider foe. Is anybody going to dare and try and stop them?

Gaius Marius

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:37 am

Gaius Marius wrote:Kind of an odd question (brought upon by a story), but what happens with the wider Imperium in the event of an Inter-Chapter War. Say two different chapters are brought to conflict by a dispute over what tactics to take against a wider foe. Is anybody going to dare and try and stop them?

Depends who their suppliers are, so to speak. Which (if any) Forge Worlds they rely on, whether their recruiting worlds or fiefdom overlaps with other aspects of the Imperium. Though it is easy to imagine Chapters existing in a vacuum (certainly for the IFs, BTs and DAs, those fleet-based swines!), they nevertheless still dependencies: the worlds from which they recruit, for one.

The Imperial Fists, notably, recruit from Necromunda. If they get into fisticuffs with, hypothetically, the Doul Strinkers who have certain strongholds near Necromunda, then it is quite possible that other neighbouring worlds may take an interest, at very least by offering (or withdrawing) certain support to some of the parties.

Whether other Chapters would come along and say "Gentlemen, this is unseemly! <monoclepop>" and perhaps intervene is not really clear. We know, for example, that the Imperial Fists do actually step in where the Soul Drinkers are concerned, though how that pans out is not yet known.

Moreover, with the debacle of the Badab War, there is much moving/shaking on multiple side of the conflict. Though it's technically two-sided and well explained, it does highlight some of the difficulties as soon as not-originally-involved parties start weighing into a conflict.

I know this has been a bit of a vague answer, but it is a non-general question. It's almost facetious to note, but obviously it'd depend on who's involved, who they relate to and things. So it's entirely possible two chapters could have a fight and no-one'd bat an eyelid (imagine the Marines Malevolent getting into fisticuffs with the Carcharodons: outcast scavenger-y types fighting against each other, but they rarely interact with anyone anyway and barely have any sensible contact with the rest of the Imperium: would anyone even notice!?), but similarly it's also quite possible that some dominion-y (or well liked by Imperial Authority [presumably for 'good behaviour', cooperation, reliability and non-massacring of allies]) chapters could get into fisticuffs and draw in a sector or two due to their web of resources, favours, associations, honour-debts and so forth!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Gaius Marius » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:58 am

Yeah that's kinda the answer that I was suspecting, but it still needed asking.

Edit:

Okay, I found an example!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aurora_Chapter

Non-described conflict between the Aurora Chapter and Knights of the Raven. Ending negotiated by Marneus Calgar. So it appears that either one side kills the other or someone respected by both ends it.

Gaius Marius

Postby Vivia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

I read the article on Lexi and that's an awesome idea for a story. The Blood Angels touch upon this on the Deus series.
" Brother, I will harm you!"
Vivia

Postby Jelboy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:34 am

New Question: Imperial Guard infantry missile launcher. What sort of guided missiles does it fire? Fire and forget? heat seeking? missile mounted vid? control from the launcher with direct line of site? Something else, or all those?
Jelboy

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:11 am

As far as I know, the Ghosts used simple infantry launchers that needed to be aimed. I don't see the grunt regiments using heat seekers or guided missiles as that would be, I expect, the sole province of elite stormtrooper companies or inquisitorial forces on account of the high technology used in the making of these missiles.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Jelboy wrote:New Question: Imperial Guard infantry missile launcher. What sort of guided missiles does it fire? Fire and forget? heat seeking? missile mounted vid? control from the launcher with direct line of site? Something else, or all those?

depends on the regiment and the resources. Cheap and cheerful may be the most common sort of Imperial supply but regiments from wealthy/noteable worlds or from worlds with a specific regimental history may be better.

Think in games terms is the unit of veterans really that much better at shooting missiles more accurately or do they have fancier missiles to shoot? Both can be the case. Anything goes.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jelboy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks for missile reply, guys.

New Question: What's the state of Prospero in 40k? It took a battering 10000 years ago, but no planetary destruction tech was used - so I guess the planet is intact. Is it an 'out of bounds' planet now? Are there people living there? Is there any recent info on the place?
Jelboy

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Jelboy wrote:Thanks for missile reply, guys.

New Question: What's the state of Prospero in 40k? It took a battering 10000 years ago, but no planetary destruction tech was used - so I guess the planet is intact. Is it an 'out of bounds' planet now? Are there people living there? Is there any recent info on the place?

Last I checked, all the known worlds that were under the traitor legions were declared Perdita and out of bounds to anyone. They might also have been permanently blockaded, nothing going in and out.

I haven't read Aaron's Night Lords novels though so I cannot comment on the state of Nostramo.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Spoiler: Nostramo was destroyed in The Dark King. The planet broke apart after the Night Lords fleet bombarded a fault line.

In Soulhunter, the Night Lords find an asteroid that was once a part of the planet and that has drifted far from its original position. So, Nostramo no longer exists.

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Ah right. Forgot that little tidbit :D

I remembered a discussion on warseer from a while back where someone mentioned how Aaron talks about dark, real word themes too much in his books. Particularly the following one, in reference to some event mentioned in one of the NL books where the character passes by as this happens, totally unconcerned.

Spoiler: rape.

So I was a little confused.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 am

That's because the books contain lots of flashbacks, for example to the main character's childhoods on Nostramo, which is where this scene happens.
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 am

Liliedhe wrote:That's because the books contain lots of flashbacks, for example to the main character's childhoods on Nostramo, which is where this scene happens.

yeah, took me a while to figure that out.

shadowhawk2008

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer