General 40K Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

General 40K Lore Q&A

Postby LordLucan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 pm

For all 40K-based background quesitons, that aren't about a specific faction. Post quesitons here (in list form or what have you). Then, the good folks of the bolthole should be able to answer your queries. If you want to make a topic on here which involves more in-depth discussion rather than pure answers, then post up an independant thread.

Hopefully, my mod status will resume here, and I can sticky this thread at some point!
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Re: General 40K Lore Q&A

Postby Jelboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 pm

A lot of hard sci-fi has 'advanced beings' come from the core of the galaxy because there's a higher density of star systems here (and probably older ones too... meaning civilizations have more time to develop). Does WH40k have much center of galaxy fluff - the maps seem to indicate not much happens here:

http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html
Jelboy

Postby The Hillock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Not that I'm aware of - most of the fluff of recent times has focused on things coming from the other direction ('nids) or just basically appearing ('crons).
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Loremaster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 pm

A lot of the fluff seams to be that man has either killed or brought back into the fold the lost human colonies... or killed all the aliens that they have encounted .
As "The Wrath" says thers a lot on the nids as they arive into the galaxy killing everything or races like the tau, kroot and others that are on the edge of mankinds realms.
I cant think of anything that has focused on the core of the galaxy...maybe thats where the necrons and the old ones started from.
errrm whers all my maps gone :geek:
Loremaster

Postby LordLucan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Originally the squats (space dwarves, which seem to have been replaced by the Demiurg as the dwarf archtype in 40K) came from nearer to the core of the galaxy. Also, there have been various vague allusions to C'tan-related perils that are located 'beyond the gates of varl', a location near to the galactic centre.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Xisor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:10 pm

The Demiurg and/or Squats inhabit the core of the galaxy, at least. The central galactic bulge is called 'the Cradle' in 40k-speak, though this was only actually noted in the Fanatic Magazine, so it's not hugely definitive.

There is a slight problem, of course, with 40ks astrophysics. The galactic core isn't actually an excellent place for life. Pretending that Earth is archetypal for life-forming cases, best we can spot is that spacefaring, civilised life took 5bn years to form, with seemingly decent conditions. Inside the galactic interior, general radiation is much higher, star density is increased...it's a less hospitable place.

Contrast with the Tau inhabitting a Globular Cluster, this is also a poor idea. We seem to rely on the reasonable resources in our star system, e.g. there being a lot of non-hydrogen, non-helium elements having been created; this seemingly requires a few generations of star life/death to really allow for lots of high-end materials (e.g. iron and higher, more radioactive/unstable elements) to have formed. Unfortunately globular clusters are composed of ancient stars, not young, rapidly-generating-material stars.

Makes more sense for the Tau Empire to inhabit the outer shell, say of a highly-dense, stellar nursery region. Lots of resources, very precarious in 'stellar terms', but the big stars have already exploded and now it's younger stars coalescing. Lots of resources, lots of stuff going on in the region, possibly quite dense too. Globular clusters, except for their scientific tell-tale nature and odd orbits around the galaxy (not constricted to the plane, their 'orbits' fit within the sphere of the galaxy, taking them quite outside the galactic plane!) are actually very boring places indeed for the Tau to inhabit!

Sorry, what was the question? :lol:

EDIT: Ah yes. Also the C'tan. Old stars are slow-burning stars. Big, short-lived stars are the most energetic types, burning incredibly fast. Many hundreds (thousands?) of times the size of our sun, but often having lifespans of (only!) 100,000 years! Tau should live in those sorts of places. And so should un-godded nascent C'tan, y'know the star-suckling star vampires? C'mon, GW/BLP: You can't deny logic and science!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:20 am

Xisor: I'm fairly certain the Tau's region of space is not entirely natural anyway. I mean, if the Eldar could move stars around easily, imagine what potentially an old one could do (if Cegorach is an old one, and if it is he that has dipped his hand in the Tau development pot).
LordLucan

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm

I've been looking for such a thread.

Yesterday, when reading the Book of Blood anthology, something struck me. The Blood Angels are the IXth chapter - and they were the IXth legion during the Great Crusade. So, obviously, the loyalist legions kept their numbers when they were reorganised into chapters. But what happened to the numbers of the Traitor Legions (and the missing ones)? Did those stay occupied during the reorganisation (so there is no IInd, IIIrd or whatever Chapter) or where the numbers given away to other chapters?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Liliedhe wrote:I've been looking for such a thread.

Yesterday, when reading the Book of Blood anthology, something struck me. The Blood Angels are the IXth chapter - and they were the IXth legion during the Great Crusade. So, obviously, the loyalist legions kept their numbers when they were reorganised into chapters. But what happened to the numbers of the Traitor Legions (and the missing ones)? Did those stay occupied during the reorganisation (so there is no IInd, IIIrd or whatever Chapter) or where the numbers given away to other chapters?

I would assume that these numbers are glossed over, particularly because of the associations of these numbers and perhaps a sense of dark irony that will always cause these chapters to always look over their shoulders.

But, on the flip side, what if there is a difference in legion number and the chapter number? The original legions that got broken down retained their numbers when they became chapters and their second founding successors were given numbers according to a chapter roll?

In any case, I have never come across any background pertaining to the matter.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:36 pm

It seems aside from the original legions and some prominent numbers (like 666) most Chapter numbers aren't even given - for example the IA has no number for the Flesh Tearers or the Black Templars.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Liliedhe wrote:It seems aside from the original legions and some prominent numbers (like 666) most Chapter numbers aren't even given - for example the IA has no number for the Flesh Tearers or the Black Templars.

I seem to remember that there is a recent chapter that actually does have a number mentioned, might be a 26th founding... i'll try to look it up.

EDIT: here we go. The Mentor Legion. Chapter 888, previously assigned to the Star Scorpions. Acc to Lexi the sources are either the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium or WD 98 UK. Since I have no access to either one of them, I cannot confirm the information.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Green River » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Just to clarify, I am fairly certain that the legion numbers are technically in no way related to chapter numbers. Of course, this gets a little tricky when considering that the division of the legions into chapters is referred to as the 'Second Founding', with the founding of the legions as the 'First Founding'.

Note that on each founding multiple different chapters can be created, each with their individual numbers.

However, on the issue of chapter numbers, I'm actually not too sure what the case is, such that the only real answer you might find might come from a GW staffer. Take this:

We know that the Dark Angels were the First (I) Legion of the Legiones Astartes at the First Founding.

At the Second Founding, where the Legions were split into Chapters, we know that one chapter of each legion was to retain the former Legion's colours and heraldry, but I do know know if this also extended to numbering. Presumably, the Dark Angels would become Chapter No.1, but if this is the case, then who becomes Chapter No.2? Would it be the successor chapter of the next-numbered, extant and loyalist Legion, the White Scars (V)? Or would it be another Dark Angels successor Chapter, such as the Angels of Absolution?
Green River

Postby Rob P » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 pm

What is the technical name for the menials that help a Space Marine get his armour on/off and are they assigned one per marine or do they hold posts e.g. boot putter-onner?

Are these the same guys who re-spray the armour or is that done by the marines themselves or a particular marine?
Rob P

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Rob P wrote:What is the technical name for the menials that help a Space Marine get his armour on/off and are they assigned one per marine or do they hold posts e.g. boot putter-onner?

Are these the same guys who re-spray the armour or is that done by the marines themselves or a particular marine?

I just use the term chapter serfs or just serfs.

Personal "valets" such as Kaleb (sp?) for Garro are quite an exception, unless you talk about the highest officers in a chapter I suppose. There is also the case of the Crimson Consul's chapter master having his own "valet" who assists him in running the chapter (going out with the recruiting parties and helping him with his armour).

My expectation is that while Marines "take care" of their armour by adding some free-hand stuff such as verses and icons, stuff such as re-painting the entire armour and what not is done by the Techmarines. The regular battle-brothers add the garnish so to speak.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Pyroriffic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 am

I generally use 'chapter serfs' for the guys 'n' gals who fetch the tea and what have you - I believe the particularly skilled armour monkeys are artificers.

Loken repainted his own armour when they switched to be the Sons of Horus as I recall. I like to think there are some Space Marines who have OCD about their armour and get really antsy if anybody else touches it.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 pm

there are suits of armour that are OCD about who gets to tend to them. Angsty machine spirits.

Serfs is the general term for all mortal staff (maybe even servitors are technically serfs) artificers are serfs with specific armouring duties.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Well, serfs are generally bound to one place, master, bit of land or whatever and essentially pay their keep through labour. There's wiggle room, but a serf is just an indentured menial and sometimes a nicer way of saying slave.
Raziel4707

Postby Rob P » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'd heard the relevant words, but couldn't remember what makes one a serf or artificer.

One thing that has bugged me for a while is dreadnoughts and their long sleeps. Does the sus-an membrane facilitate this and thus hinders the Imperial Fists (and spin-offs) from having old timers like Bjorn? or is it some other phenomenon?

Alternatively, do the IF dreadnoughts have to stay awake full time?

Thanks in advance.
Rob P

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Its an interesting question with the added distinction of, how many of a Space Marine's implants are relevantly working when interred in a Dreadnought.

I would just say that since these warriors don't have to be fed constant data, cref: Blood Ravens Dawn of War II the Librarian, they just actually fall asleep, are put in stasis and when the Techmarines "wake them up" its just as natural as waking up a sleeping person, except its a whole near-religious process.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Eroldren » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:49 pm

And here I am just thinking about to request one 'General Lore 40K Q&A' for the Mods yesterdays. What about a 'General WHF Lore Q&A' sticky too go along hmm?

Any woo I got couple space marines questions: 1) How high up does a Assault Marine (not Chaos Raptors, they got their warp pals to aid them etcetera) usually rises? Bit difficulty for me when trying to judge a good figure for them either from DOW2 or Space Marines. 2) Anybody knows/Is power armour info, particularly about full details and capabilities of a space maine helm/visual display?
"Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts."
Eroldren

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer