General 40K Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General 40K Lore Q&A

Postby Gaius Marius » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:
Jelboy wrote:Thanks for missile reply, guys.

New Question: What's the state of Prospero in 40k? It took a battering 10000 years ago, but no planetary destruction tech was used - so I guess the planet is intact. Is it an 'out of bounds' planet now? Are there people living there? Is there any recent info on the place?

Last I checked, all the known worlds that were under the traitor legions were declared Perdita and out of bounds to anyone. They might also have been permanently blockaded, nothing going in and out.

I haven't read Aaron's Night Lords novels though so I cannot comment on the state of Nostramo.

Acording to A Thousand Sons, the wolves incinerated the rest of Prospero from orbit and then sack Tizca. The planet's crust was described as cracking.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Jelboy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

New Question: Could there be any species relationship between the nids and the Sslyth? Superficially they seem similar in appearance.
Jelboy

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:37 am

Another question:
This is the daily quote from BL's FB page:
‘Came then he, a prisoner, into the
House of the Daemon, and he was bound about
and anointed so that his life could be
... taken in offering, as was the custom.
But he slipped his bonds, and made a fire
burn inside the House of the Daemon,
and burned it he from the inside out,
and so the Daemon it was that
burned and was slain.’

~ from the Kinebrach myth of the Rath and the Hero

considering it's from Salvation's Reach, it made me wonder if it was ever made clear where the Interrex was located. Exactly. I couldn't find it on any of the 40K galactic maps.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am

I don't think it was. All we know is the references to the Sagittarius. Last I checked anyway.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:49 am

And where is Sagittarius? Can that be located on a 40K map?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 am

Liliedhe wrote:And where is Sagittarius? Can that be located on a 40K map?

I honestly have no idea. Perhaps refer to real world astronomy? That might help I suppose.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

I tried. didn't work.
Liliedhe

Postby LordLucan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Jelboy wrote:New Question: Could there be any species relationship between the nids and the Sslyth? Superficially they seem similar in appearance.

Well, only very superficially do they look alike. The only real link being 'look vaguely reptillian'.

I'd say the Sslyth are more closely related to the Laer, a serpentine slanneshi alien race Fulgrim destroyed.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 am

Tyranids are dinosaurs that look like insects?

Ssylth are snake people with four arms.

I'm lost.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:46 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Tyranids are dinosaurs that look like insects?

Ssylth are snake people with four arms.

I'm lost.

You're lost? Well why the hell do my eyes behold this...

Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Jelboy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Ermmm.... yes... this is precisely what I meant :o
Jelboy

Postby LordLucan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Xisor wrote:
schaferwhat‽ wrote:

Oh... my... :o *monacle drops*

That is... well...

*gribbles*

:D
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm

yes Lictors can even infiltrate into societies as saucy maids. What did you think they did change colour like a chameleon?
schaferwhat‽

Postby LordLucan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:yes Lictors can even infiltrate into societies as saucy maids. What did you think they did change colour like a chameleon?

Lictors get lonely sometimes, so far away as the vanguard of their fellow hive fleet Tyranids...

It's the pheremones man... :P
LordLucan

Postby Gaius Marius » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:09 am

Reminds me of that time I did that thing to Cthulu and he never came back to this dimension.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby LordLucan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:59 am

Gaius Marius wrote:Reminds me of that time I did that thing to Cthulu and he never came back to this dimension.

So 'crashed a ship into him' WAS a dirty euphemism! I knew it!
LordLucan

Postby Xisor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:43 pm

LordLucan wrote:
Gaius Marius wrote:Reminds me of that time I did that thing to Cthulu and he never came back to this dimension.

So 'crashed a ship into him' WAS a dirty euphemism! I knew it!

What on earth did you think "All decks: brace for impact; all ahead full, ramming speed!" meant!?
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Questions about Tech-marines (now its spelled Techmarine, meh).

I'm not sure how to state the question. Are the TM regular Space Marines or have they become different? Are they closer to the Mechanicus, in mind as well?
In DoW2 I noticed that the TM never removed his helmet and showed his face and the vox-voice added to the artificial aspect. He seemed logical and technical about everything. Now when I read C&H I imagine the same thing about the Ultras TM.
The helmet is also different form the regular SM look and kind of creepy. I thought it look like a beak and I was expecting it to move when he talked, I had to enhance the picture on YouTube to get a better look. :)
Any reason why itlooks like that? There is nothing on Lexi about the helmet.

Techmarines are super-awesome and I love how they can feel the pain of the Machine Spirit. Spooky stuff going on there. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 pm

I think that Techmarines are just regular Space Marines who have the added benefit of being versed in the necessary technological lore. And having an aptitude for working with machines to boot.

I have always imagined that Techmarines owe their loyalties first and foremost to their chapters, and then to the Mechanicus. If there is a conflict between the interests of the chapter and the Mechanicus, I expect Techmarines to side with their chapters. One sort of example you can take here are the Blood Angels, who have certain STC-prints for themselves and refuse to share with the Mechanicus. Yet, they are still getting their Techmarines aren't they?

Never seen any beaky helmets for Techmarines but if their original armour is based off the Corvus mark, then it is feasible. Or if they used a Corvus pattern helmet as a replacement or whatever.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Erunanion » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Vivia wrote:Questions about Tech-marines (now its spelled Techmarine, meh).

I'm not sure how to state the question. Are the TM regular Space Marines or have they become different? Are they closer to the Mechanicus, in mind as well?
In DoW2 I noticed that the TM never removed his helmet and showed his face and the vox-voice added to the artificial aspect. He seemed logical and technical about everything. Now when I read C&H I imagine the same thing about the Ultras TM.
The helmet is also different form the regular SM look and kind of creepy. I thought it look like a beak and I was expecting it to move when he talked, I had to enhance the picture on YouTube to get a better look. :)
Any reason why itlooks like that? There is nothing on Lexi about the helmet.

Techmarines are super-awesome and I love how they can feel the pain of the Machine Spirit. Spooky stuff going on there. :)

I think this is largely down to your own interpretation. Techmarines are ordinary Astartes who have shown an aptitude and affinity for technology, and at some point in the chapter career (I believe once they have advanced to Tactical Marine status, but don't quote me on that) they have been sent to a local forgeworld to apprentice with the Mechanicus. I don't know of any literature out there which details how long this apprenticeship, if you want to think of it like that, is, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for how close to the Mechanicus Techmarines are, I think that is a little bit of personal preference. Most takes on this relationship seem to have Techmarines at a certain remove from the rest of the chapter, in a similar (but slightly less extreme) way as Librarians, as they have been exposed to a cult which is Other, and thus they are suspect for some chapters. Again, I suspect this is based on the personality and behaviour of the Techmarine in question; if they have really been absorbed into the Machine Cult, and perhaps gone in for some cosmetic augmentation, they can expect some alienation. If they keep their heretical devotion to the Machine God on the quiet, there may be less conflict and suspicion.

As for Techmarines' armour, on the model I have always thought that that simply represented their own work to modify and improve their plate. The reason its called artificer armour, after all, is to represent the fact that it has been worked on and crafted by true masters of artifice, making it better than the run-of-the-mill suits of stompy-armour-of-awesome that the line Marines wear.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer