General 40K Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General 40K Lore Q&A

Postby David Earle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 am

revelation wrote:I wouldn't say that's scant lore actually. That lore covers 2 authors and 3 separate series. I'm not as comprehensively read as some in here, but it seems to me that the concept of "blanks" is pretty closely related to Dan Abnett's conception of them.

I meant Exorcist lore, actually. The only thing I've seen them in is Deathwatch.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby revelation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:22 am

Ah yeah. Got it. Yeah, there's not much Exorcist lore out there.
revelation

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 pm

revelation wrote:Ah yeah. Got it. Yeah, there's not much Exorcist lore out there.

About all I could find on them rev:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Exorcists
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby SIngemeister » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 pm

During the Great Crusade, how did the Imperium deal with the language barrier between itself and new cultures? Space Marines eating brains and teaching the languages to other people?
SIngemeister

Postby David Earle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Everyone spoke Gothic perfectly. Except the White Scars.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby revelation » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 pm

David Earle wrote:Everyone spoke Gothic perfectly. Except the White Scars.

Lol
revelation

Postby revelation » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:50 am

SIngemeister wrote:During the Great Crusade, how did the Imperium deal with the language barrier between itself and new cultures? Space Marines eating brains and teaching the languages to other people?

Maybe all the Expeditionary Fleets had linguists aboard that could help with translations as well as software/computer technology that could translate.
revelation

Postby Blinded » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Okay, so here's a random question: Do Adepta Sororitas swear oaths of Celibacy?

My impression is that this depends on their Order's traditions, very much like how different sects of Imperial Cult have different practices.

Though I also think those who are not swearing such oaths would not be all that inclined to marriage or having a material life, and children would be sent off to Schola.

Thoughts?
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Definitely not all orders, there is a Battle Sister who has an affair in one of the Cain books. But she is retired and teaching at the Scholam.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Blinded » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Yeah... the one involving a crazy Inquisitor and giving psychic powers to non-psychics IIRC.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby SIngemeister » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Liliedhe wrote:Definitely not all orders, there is a Battle Sister who has an affair in one of the Cain books. But she is retired and teaching at the Scholam.

Isn't the implication that they're totally welcome to have a bit of carnal fun, but most of them are so totally devoted to Big-E Smalls that they don't bother.
SIngemeister

Postby sam vimes » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Wonder if the big E cured the common cold? As im suffering from one lol
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 pm

sam vimes wrote:Wonder if the big E cured the common cold? As im suffering from one lol

Spoiler: Secret deal with Nurgle ;)

"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby sam vimes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

Xisor wrote:
sam vimes wrote:Wonder if the big E cured the common cold? As im suffering from one lol

Good lol as there has to be some hope in 40k

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby SIngemeister » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:27 am

sam vimes wrote:
Xisor wrote:

Good lol as there has to be some hope in 40k

Indeed.

Spoiler: PRAISE TZEENTCH. ALL GLORY TO THE CHANGER OF WAYS

Is there a list of all the Terran Astartes of the Horus Heresy?
SIngemeister

Postby sam vimes » Sun May 31, 2015 3:42 pm

Is Chaplain Boreas still alive? mental blank can't recall

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 pm

sam vimes wrote:Is Chaplain Boreas still alive? mental blank can't recall

Spoiler for Angels of Darkness

(no, really, this is a huge one, don't be at all tempted if you are likely to read AoD)

Spoiler: Suicide by meltabomb

I warned you!

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby sam vimes » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:10 am

Bugger nuts I thought so been looking for my copy found it sandwiched between the sundering and sigmar collections oddly.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby revelation » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:24 am

I've always kind of wondered about this, but never was able to really formulate a satisfactory answer. What purpose did Chaplains serve during the HH era? In an Imperium that was secular why the need for them and why the religious terminology, the term Chaplain? It seems problematic & somewhat confusing. Would it have been a bit more convincing/believable to have come up with a different name for this role in the 30k setting and to state that it eventually evolved into a more "faith" oriented role once the Imperial Creed became prevalent?

Then again, even in a "modern" 40k setting, the concept of a 40k Chaplain feels slightly off considering most Space Marine chapters don't consider the Emperor a god, rather just the most exemplary and most powerful human to ever live.
Last edited by revelation on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revelation

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:29 pm

revelation wrote:I've always kind of wondered about this, but never was able to really formulate a satisfactory answer. What purpose did Chaplains serve during the HH era? In an Imperium that was secular why the need for them and why the religious terminology, the term Chaplain? It seems problematic & somewhat confusing. Would it have been a bit more convincing/believable to have come up with a different name for this role in the 30k setting and to state that it eventually evolved into a more "faith" oriented role once the Imperial Creed became prevalent?

Then again, even in a "modern" 40k setting, the concept of a 40k Chaplain, feels slightly off considering most Space Marine chapters don't consider the Emperor a god, rather just the most exemplary and most powerful human to ever live.

I get ya. In 40k at least, the ancestor worshipiness and dogma at least makes sense, even if less theistic. More priestly/druid/spiritual than clergy.

In HH, however, Chaplain is indeed a problem. Astatres Iterators is really the gist of it. But they could have been seen as much more political animals, much more on the propaganda war, much more about the rules and regulations are important, not just whatever...

There's depth there. All the meat of The Thick Of It is basically around toeing the line and the Orwellian rewriting of what people know to be true. A trick is being missed in the HH, in my esteem.

Same with Librarians and Techmarines and Apothecaries actually being serious scholars and engineers and health professionals. There's a huge scope for story (and, yes, conflict - they could all be fiercely, violently aggressive in their various professions' factions and disciplines, quite in addition to loyalist/traitor), and it's barely even started with.

Instead, let's have more Captain/Sergeant buddy adventures.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer