IA: The Monitors [Homebrew Chapter Project]

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

IA: The Monitors [Homebrew Chapter Project]

Postby Obscura Boy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:37 pm

So what with the advent of 8th edition I thought I'd give the ol' hobby another whack. I dug out a squad of Tactical Marines who I'd built ages ago but left unpainted...until now!*

I knew I wanted to create my own Chapter and settled on what I thought was a pretty nifty colour scheme, but besides that I haven't been able to formalise the Chapter's background, or even a name! I've got plenty of ideas but still have yet to tie them all together with a neat adamantium/ceramite bow. Once I do I'll be sure to update this post with some lore about them.

Chapter Designation:
MONITORS

Brother Ulumoric Halyoda, 2nd Tactical Squad, 4th Company

Founding: 9th [M34]

Successors of: Ultramarines

Chapter Master: Dorjen Vastumaelon

Homeworld: [FILES CORRUPTED - CHECK AGAIN LATER]

Fortress-Monastery: [FILES CORRUPTED - CHECK AGAIN LATER]

Combat Doctrine: Economy of action

Preferred Tactics: Small-scale operations, combined arms

Battle Cry: [FILE CORRUPTED - CHECK AGAIN LATER]

For now, here's my (mostly) finished Tactical Squad. There are some individual models I'm happier with than others, but overall I think they're probably the best-painted minis I've ever produced, so I thought I'd show 'em off.

COMING SOON: 10-man squad of Sternguard Vets with less fancy dress and more of those sexy MkIV helmets. 8-)
Last edited by Obscura Boy on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
My other car is a Land Raider.
Obscura Boy

Re: Obscura Boy's Unnamed Custom Chapter Marines!

Postby Rob P » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Nice!

Any ideas on a name yet + background?
Rob P

Postby Obscura Boy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks Rob!

Sadly my ideas are still very rough round the edges - that's what happens when you start the Chapter creation process with the colour scheme! :P I have a set of ideas that I'm trying to form into a cohesive whole; they're an Ultramarines successor (via Novamarines), founded in M34 (so saw a lot of action during the Nova Terra Interregnum), and I really like the idea of a Chapter which fights on a small-scale, utilising its forces sparingly in surgical strikes, sometimes committing as little as a single squad to a warzone. So there's stuff in the works, but I still haven't got the most important thing - their overall character, or 'Demeanour' as a Deathwatch player might say.

And a name? Not even close. Probably as a result of the lack of character described above!

If anyone has any creativity hacks for this kind of stuff, I'd be much obliged. :D
Obscura Boy

Postby Xisor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm liking them, a lot! I like them as an 'nth generation' (where n!€{1,2}) chapter - e.g. not successor to a First Founding chapter. I especially like the idea of them as in the same vein as Raven Guard and Raptors - supersoldiers, with more emphasis om soldier than super. That's a stint of Marine you don't often see.

The scheme is gorgeous.

Who were the ones in the Long Games at Carcharias? They were fairly sensible, weren't they?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Crimson Consuls in that one.

Must admit they do have a bit of the look of the Raptors to them.
Rob P

Re: The Void Spectres (aka Obscura Boy's Custom Marines!)

Postby Obscura Boy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks for the kind remarks, Xisor. :)

I won't lie, the rugged, no-nonsense Raptors have always been a fave of mine (as you could probably guess from my avatar), and were something of an inspiration for the feel of my Chapter, but I'm hoping to differentiate them in terms of their overall philosophy and modus operandi. They certainly don't have the same Coraxian tendency towards stealthiness and trickery - when you're fighting the Void Spectres, you know about it. :P

Speaking of - I've decided on a name, and a few fragments of background info! And I'll be picking up the parts for my next squad on Thursday eve. Seriously drooling internally over them MkIV helmets, y'all...
Obscura Boy

Postby Kentigern » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 am

Looking good, and nice work with the painting =) I always love seeing where people go with their home brew chapters, so looking forward to seeing the Void Spectres develop.
Good guys go to heaven.

Bad guys send them there.
Kentigern

Postby Obscura Boy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks Kentigern! Development on these guys is likely to be sporadic, but I definitely have more fleshing out to do!

Speaking of which, after having been such a despicable tease with all my talk of new models arriving, here's some new images! These are the first five Sternguard Vets I've built, starting with the sergeant:

And for a sneaky bonus, because I've got an abundance of parts to play with, here's an Apothecary and Chaplain on their own snazzy super-size bases:

Once I've built/painted the rest of the Sternguard, I'm gonna get a Commander up and running. Beyond that I'm not sure what direction to go in. I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a vehicle of some sort, possibly a Land Speeder or maybe one of these new-fangled Stormhawk Interceptors. I've also got a soft spot for the good ol' Predator, even though it doesn't quite mesh with the Void Spectres' vibe. But then, I suppose the good thing about not having confirmed a lot of their lore is that I can twist it to suit the models I like. :P
Obscura Boy

Re: Obscura Boy's Custom Chapter (Nameless Once More)

Postby Obscura Boy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm

OK so as I predicted might happen, I cannot settle on a name. I've decided to put that particular thorny issue to one side for the moment and concentrate on other background details for the Chapter, which are progressing slightly better. Presented for your opinion are some tidbits of lore I have thus far decided upon:

1) The Basics.

9th Founding, which happened somewhere between mid-M34 and mid-M35, and their home world is located in the Segmentum Solar as I thought it might be a nice change to have a Chapter whose home world lies in the Imperial heartland rather than somewhere along its borders. Besides which, both of those details make them well-placed to have got stuck into rebel forces during the Nova Terra Interregnum, something I very much like the idea of. Oh, and as mentioned above, they're Ultramarines successors but the founding cadre consisted of Novamarines.*

2) History.

As mentioned above, I imagine this Chapter cut its teeth fighting secessionist forces during the Interregnum, and since then has harboured a particular hatred for rebels and heretics of all stripes and most of all, naturally, Traitor Astartes, with whom I imagine they've had a fair few scuffles. As an older Chapter they've got a fair few honours to their name, but I really like the idea of their having undertaken a 100-year penitent crusade at some point as punishment for...something. Possibly to do with the unnecessary extermination of a fellow Astartes Chapter.

Looking to more recent times, I'd be keen for persons better-versed than I in the lore of the Gathering Storm and the Dark Imperium and such-like to advise me on the feasibility of this concept: this Chapter, for a while at least, publicly denied the return of Guilliman, believing it to be some kind of plot by the Archenemy. Imagine their embarrassment when they realised he was the real deal...

3) Combat Doctrine.

As touched on in the background template above, I'm keen for this Chapter's focus to be on small-scale operations, deploying individual squads in a diffuse manner and coordinating their actions to achieve victory. In line with that, I'm seeing the Chapter as being unusually cooperative with other Imperial military forces, preferring to use their strength to supplement ongoing Imperial campaigns as opposed to going off on totally independent jaunts of their own. Of course, when the situation requires they assemble in larger strike forces but always carefully calibrate their forces to the requirements of each mission.

4) Chapter Culture

HumbleMarines. If there's a more badass way to say 'self-deprecating', that's what these guys are. The Chapter cult places emphasis on knowing one's role in the Emperor's (and the Primarch's) grand design, on pursuing victory not for their own glory but because it is every Marine's duty to defend the Imperium. Like their Progenitors, these Marines are big believers in the Imperial Dream (if such a thing exists), but they lack the Ultramarines' somewhat self-aggrandising imperial (with a small 'i') aspirations. You won't find these guys lording it over their own home world, let alone a whole multi-planetary realm.

5) Organisation

One of the main reasons for the Chapter's focus on economy of action is that they're pretty much constantly under-strength. I haven't pinned down why this might be yet. It'll either be due to some sort of instability with their own gene-seed, or with the nature of their home world population. Perhaps their home planet is actually a prosperous industrial world which strictly limits the population available for Astartes recruitment? Perhaps the planet is a death world so deadly that its human population has been all but wiped out? Or perhaps, for some mysterious reason, the natives of their home world have some mysterious quirk that makes the majority of them react unfavourably to genetic enhancements? I'm not sure yet.

So that's what's currently buzzing around my noggin. If anything about that mess of lore suggests a catchy Chapter name to any readers, do let me know! I could use the help, clearly. :P

Modelling-wise I've stalled a tad. I'm halfway through the Sternguard squad, who are shaping up quite nicely, but for some reason I've gone and bought ANOTHER Tactical squad. Well, you gotta have 'em, right? More excitingly, I've purchased the swanky new Codex and upon perusing it I discovered to my glee that Regular Ol' Non-Primaris Marines can now also field Lieutenants! This is a dream for me thematically and in terms of modelling - I always feel like a Captain should look and feel a bit more 'special' than the default models suggest, but I'm certain I can use the plethora of parts I've accrued thus far to kit-bash a couple of cool-lookin', understated Lieutenants. Expect more pics soon!
Obscura Boy

Re: Obscura Boy's Custom Chapter (Nameless Once More)

Postby Rob P » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm really liking this so far. I wonder how easy/hard it is to convert this into a lexicanum-style chapter profile.
Rob P

Re: IA: The Monitors [Homebrew Chapter Project]

Postby Obscura Boy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:41 pm

That's the dream, Rob! I'd love to work up a full profile in the style of Lexicanum/40k wiki, and in particular I'd love to photoshop one of the cooler, more gritty Imperial Armour-style Marine images to my Chapter's colours. I downloaded GIMP for the purpose but then realised I had no idea how it worked. :P

Limited news is that I've finally settled on a name I like: the Monitors. Initially the rather more mundane connotations of the word put me off, but I've come round. I think that it sums up the Chapter perfectly, and crucially, unlike the previous names, it just fits.

Oh and also because I can't stop buying miniatures before I've finished building existing ones, I ordered a Land Speeder Tempest from Forge World because holy damn you guys they are GORGEOUS.
Obscura Boy

Postby Squiggle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Looking good mate. I'm looking forward to souping up my existing Iron Warriors force with some nifty chaos lieutenants. Good excuse as you say to do some kitbashing.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Obscura Boy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 am

Cheers, Squig. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your Astral Knights!
Obscura Boy

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer