Mossy's Chaos Thread (Q&A, Tactics, Models, BatReps, etc)

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: Mossy's Chaos Thread (Q&A, Tactics, Models, BatReps, etc

Postby The Hillock » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 pm

That last one, with the platform? That's cool, that is.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:07 pm

You just wait until I have a Herald of Nurgle or a Lord (from the Crimson Slaughter supplement with Daemonheart, or from the CSM book with the Black Mace) sitting on top of that platform...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 pm

Finished up 10 Cultists! Skipped and combined a number of steps on the "drybrushing" step of things to cut out several hours of work for a result similar enough that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

Also painted up the magnetizations of my Forgefiend so it has its old Ectoplasma cannons...

...Or some Hades Autocannons...

...Or wholly as a Maulerfiend.

I figure if it impales an opponent on its claws, it flares its meltas in order to free the claw/to deal the extra free magma cutter hits. I know that most of the time, it's going to kill infantry outright, but I really love the image of it pistoning the claw through the chest of a tactical marine, lifting him into the air, shaking him a few times to get him off, then flaring its cutters and sending vaporized, bloody giblets of marine flying everywhere.

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby The Hillock » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:53 pm

I really love the image of it pistoning the claw through the chest of a tactical marine, lifting him into the air, shaking him a few times to get him off, then flaring its cutters and sending vaporized, bloody giblets of marine flying everywhere

Charmed, I'm sure.

Cultists look good dude. Especially the chap with the hood, he stands out for some reason.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Well, the chap with the hood is the squad leader, so I'm glad he sticks out.

it's been a while since I posted a finished unit, so... Nurglings. Whee!

Also a sneak peak into what's planned for the Palanquin at the back...

I've been looking for a use for the Kranon mini for a while, and have separately been wondering whether or not I'd ever field an infantry fisticlaws character. Combined the thoughts. The "head whose hair is tangled around the power fist" is a bit hard to see in this re-primed pic of the mini, hmmm. Here's a very old pic of the mini who used to have the claw:

Sure, the fellow runs me more than a Land Raider, but... I'm not going to be fielding him competitively. A larger concern is accidentally bending those fragile horns, once he's mounted on the palanquin...

235 - Lord w/ Daemonheart, Slaughter's Horns, MoN, Palanquin, SoC, blight grenades, power fist, lightning claw

2+/4++, T5 W5, IWND, Rage, Furious Charge, HoW, defensive grenades, and fisticlaws. RAAAAH!

Ok, I guess I could swap Daemonheart and Slaughter's Horns and go BL instead of CS, with the Skull of Ker'ngar to make the character resistant to those particular enemies that would otherwise walk all over him (ID and psykers, that is), but... I'll just spam biomancy and hope to get an Endurance to throw on him and keep the 2+ armor, plus a bevy of other rules.
Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:11 am

Be'lakor! Lord of Shadows, Prince of Malice! May he topple the Ruinous Powers and rule in their stead!

Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 am

After an extended period with no painting desk or workstation, I'm finally more or less settled. Well, enough so to start fusing the bignasties into kitbashes again. Got me a Maulerfiend and Necrosphinx, and after a good few hours tinkering to create horrific some hell-forged daemon engines, I am willing to stand by my previous assertions that the best thing that ever happened to the CSM model line was a Tomb Kings monster.

Still need to patch a few joins and seams with GS: the underside of the Mauler-torso and Warsphinx neck join, and vice-versa on the other. Also some swapped feet on limbs,

All together now! The projects, so far, that my 2 Necrosphinxes have markedly improved:

I may yet make a twin to the Mace Prince there, since I have another Cockatrice in a box that I got for sale recently. Plus, well, some Necro-faces and -wings too.

I also have a Necrosphinx upper torso, maulerfiend face, and pair of maulerfiend brawler's arms that are just begging to be fused into each other and then to something. Perhaps either the old Bloodthirster/Helbrute mashup I was unhappy with from a few years back, or something to do with the new mega-Thirster that I got in the same sale as the cockatrice.

Now to figure out a list that can run all of these at once for tomorrow night at the local game store...
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:13 pm

These models look amazing! I love monsters and robots and they combine both! The warm colours are beautiful. I'm into a warm colour phase at the moment, rust reds, mustard yellow combined with grey. This is giving me ideas for my knitting! 8-)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:09 am

Been a day or two building. Seem to have misplaced my box of paints since the last time I painted, way back when, so it's time to start digging into storage, since I've been bitten by the hobbying bug.

D-Thirster, 3 Plague Drones (riders separate for basing as infantry), Culexus, and 2 Spawn.

But I... I have the itch. I was sitting there cleaning out sprues and assembling the various extra limbs and wings and heads, etc, that these big monsters and monstrous vehicles have been jumbling around, then setting an unbuilt Cockatrice I got on heavy discount and an old kitbash I wasn't ever happy with beside them... and let me tell you, that way danger lies.

But first, on my recent Maulerfiend kitbashes, some tweaks. Filled a neck gap with a Defiler armor plate. A bit clunky, but better than a massive wad of green stuff or a centimeter-wide neck gap.

Also wasn't really happy with its slick shell, since I put the armor piece on its sibling:

So I bent and warped and shaved the spare new-thirster breastplate to make a makeshift new-armor-plate curved to similar dimensions.

But now onto the real treat: the orgy of creative bitz-bashing. Like, look, there are clearly a monstrous creature and/or daemon engine of some sort or three in this jumble.

I could clearly stick the Sphinx wings and a head on the Cockatrice and make a twin for Macey, and/or make a second Burning Chariot, but honestly... Chaos seldom draws from the same well twice, I figure. Onward to new horizons!

So. Where to begin. Hmm. The only real "limbs" that seem to fit with the arm sockets on the NecroTorso are the magma cutters from the maulerfiend (which aren't included in the instruction booklet in any way--they just... assume, I guess, that you want to build the Maulerfiend with the more-expensive lasher tendril upgrade), which seems like with some hacking they might fit magnets for the spare Forgefiend weapons I never ended up using.

The question about the HACs is whether to include them in that magnetization or buy some Kataphron Destroyers and magnetize them as Rapier weapons platforms. I suppose I could magnetize them too, and have the best of both.

Let's see, now. I already have a face-in-necro mini on my other Mauler/Forge Necro guy, so maybe...

But what should the torso go on? Let's break the old crappy kitbash to its salvageable and good chunks-

And--no. Nope. Awful, ungainly aesthetic. Unless I hack off 2/3 of an inch off the bottom of the Necro body, in which case I'm left with a bipedal Forgefiend.

So. Hmm, I kinda want to make a sort of quadripedal, mechanical centaur--necrosphinx-like, I suppose. I figure I have the front arms of the Maulerfiend I never used, rear legs of the old Helbrute, just... no connective tissue for the lower torso, the, erm, horse ribcage of the centaur.

Eh, the aesthetics of the Skull Cannon were always kinda wonky anyways.

I can work a fix to the sawn-off front soon, I figure.

ANYWAYS,

...I think we have real potential here, folks. A lot of work and a lot of ugly seams, still need a real ribcage-to-pelvis connector, but I think we have a workable concept.

So on to the spare finecast old-thirster torso and wings. Let's see if it's compatible with the new thirster bits! Ok, he looks more roided than the Rock, but I think it'll work with some hacking:

Maybe... oh yes, that's going to pair nicely.

So. Hmm. There's the basis for my 2 conversions. Although... headswap?

Clearly that secondary Maulerfiend head is going to be an important chunk of wherever it does end up.

Thoughts, folks? Suggestions for combinations I may have missed out on? A use for the OHGOD i JUST HAD ANOTHER IDEA-

I think we have a chariot in the offing, folks. And after I chop the top half off of the Cockatrice, there will be some Tzeentchi bitz to customize-

*chokes off train of thought before it can escape too far*
Mossy Toes

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer